Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 13:46   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
Anyone in Cooktown Australia area?

Anybody here who is now, or will soon, cruise Cooktown area, Queensland, Australia?

Here is why I ask:

Martin Dolecek, a solo sailor navigating his small craft Alya ended up washed on the beach some way up from Cooktown. I believe the distance is about 100 miles northwards. He got rescued and he has already returned to the place and secured the boat and his intention is to tow her away back to Cooktown for repairs. It cannot be done overland and, if at all viable, it will be necessary to tow the boat once and if she can be re-floated. She is sitting on the beach right now. High and dry.

I know that it is a major operation way beyond help of an individual person but I also know that wonders happen in the sailing community. Hence my plea to anyone out there who can check up on Martin and see how he is doing.

We have known Martin for a long time now and we know he is a 100% dedicated person. Very skilled, very focused on his dream - to sail round the world. And here he is very far from his home land now and far away from most of his friends scattered between Europe and Australia.

Martin is in Cooktown now. Planning, acting, not giving up.

This is Martin's facebook page, you can see images of his boat high and dry ;-(

https://www.facebook.com/martin.dolecek.94

Here is a google translate telling the story as happened:

https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url

Thank you everyone for reading this post.

Best regards,
barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alya.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	133699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	133700  

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:51   #2

Re: Anyone in Cooktown Australia area?

Pretty strong SE winds in that area just now.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:40   #3

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1320

We plan on passing through there in a few weeks on our way south. (Still in Gove)
Will keep a lookout and see if any help is still needed.
Sberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:48   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Should be some boats at Lizard Island about to head south. But no internet there, iwoulnt know how u contact them.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 15:19   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mark, there is VHF radio and HF (from the research station, and possibly the hotel) out there. There are repeater stations for the VHF. So, coms to there are okay.

And who he'd need to reach is somebody from "Shag Island Yacht Club", a pretty relaxed, fun, group, with a lot of esprit de corps. Some of them might get involved as a lark.

Barnakiel, they SIYC would need a way to get in touch with your friend. Someone staying at a trailer park would be invisible to a yachtie who has gone in there to reprovision. Cooktown's small, but has a large tourist population, who keep on traveling through. Those guys have 4 x 4's and cars, etc. Spring tides are coming up towards the end of the month, and they'll have to wait till it's quiet (as in the ridge has moved off).

Sorry, we're tied up and can't get there--medical issues, plus it's a longish way from here, and cyclone season coming.

Ann

On edit: I've just sent an e-mail to a friend who is a member, and I expect they'll start getting in touch with further north members. a.
Old 24-10-2016, 15:38   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Another vessel lost in the same area recently.

Cooktown
Solo yachtsman runs aground on reef during around the world attempt

AUTHORITIES have questioned how a yachtsman ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef during an attempt to sail around the world.

A 67-year-old New South Wales man was rescued from Cairns Reef, about 46km southeast of Cooktown, early Sunday morning after his 11m yacht struck the reef and started taking on water.

When the vessel keeled over about 7.30am, he sent out a distress call.

The call was answered by crew on board a passing Australian Border Force’s patrol vessel, the Storm Bay, about 9am, which rescued him and took him to Cairns.

The man was uninjured and his waterlogged vessel was left at sea.

Sergeant Andrew Ibell from Cairns Water Police said the sailor had been bound for Darwin in the early stages of an around-the-world journey when he came into strife.

“I would suggest that he either wasn’t navigating safely or effectively, or there’s been some failure of his on-board systems,’’ he said.

“It is a large reef system, and it’s just off the main shipping channel, and he’s managed to run straight into the middle of the reef.”

It is understood the yachtsman is currently in Cooktown attempting to organise a salvage for his vessel.

A Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority spokeswoman said the authority would investigate the *grounding.

“Assessments of damage will be dependent on weather conditions and operational considerations,” she said.

The Australian Border Force’s Acting Commander Maritime Border Command, Stephen Alexander, praised the efforts of the crew of the Storm Bay, who were able to respond quickly after receiving the mayday call.

“This situation could have been far more serious, even dire, were it not for the quick response of ABFC Storm Bay and its crew,” he said.

“The incident highlights the vital role MBC plays in our waters, not only in countering serious civil maritime security threats, but also assisting in search and rescue operations when called upon to do so.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yacht rescue.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	133727  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 16:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Should be some boats at Lizard Island about to head south. But no internet there, iwoulnt know how u contact them.

Internet is available at Lizard island. Very good service at the research station, (they don't mind you sitting in their library) but also useable reception in Watson's bay, if you anchor out a bit.

Barney, where is the boat exactly, do you know?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:21   #8

The Google translation is a little off.

Up around Port Stewart Maybe?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 07:35   #9

I believe the area where Martin got washed up is close to Barrow Point / Barrow Island. Just South of Ninnian Bay.

Such a beautiful coast, and so dangerous. esp. for solo sailors.

Good news Australian coast guard and rescue services are top notch and well equipped.

b.
Old 25-10-2016, 12:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I believe the area where Martin got washed up is close to Barrow Point / Barrow Island. Just South of Ninnian Bay.

b.
Ninian Bay has vehicle access.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/ca...amping-map.pdf
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 01:43   #11

Boat: Herman Boro 50Ft

Knowing the area but not around Try Cooktown Coast Guard is your best and only bet and In a very high tide the monitor VHF & HF
rosco4271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 04:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rosco.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 06:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Yep. I think the same road they used to get to the boat in a jeep about two weeks ago. They were able to recover nearly all equipment and secure the hull temporarily.

I will try to google some kind of Trophy/Rally/Backcountry 4WD aficcionados there. I know in Australia there are many and they were a huge help to our friend who biked the Canning Stock Route back in 2005.

I think these people will have heaps of local know-how and skills to consider lifting the boat on a trailer and (???) pulling her to Cooktown.

The boat has no keel right now, so it is just some 2 tonnes of wood, maybe less. Seems nearly doable for a couple of strong guys with a strong car and a big trolly.

b.
Old 26-10-2016, 07:15   #14

Boat: HR38

Hi,
I live up in Port Douglas(about 100kn south of Cooktown), I am away up in Darwin until the 13/11/16.
If I can help in any way please get Martin to call me on 0429120187
Wayne
Viking 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 11:42   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

At this time of the year most of the yachty traffic would be coming east from Darwin via Gove and Seisia. Maybe seeking help by contacting the Darwin Sailing, Gove Yacht and Seisia power boating clubs might assist in securing help.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia