Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 23:00   #1

Goodbye Med - hello Melbourne Australia....

Things happen and plans change, so now my cruising plans for 2016 consist of sailing from Corfu to Turkey and loading my yacht on a ship to send her to Newcastle NSW.

I'm a bit sad that my "grand plans" have been cancelled and I'm taking the easy way to Australia, but as they say "**** happens"

After 18 years in Europe my home will be once again, Melbourne, I'll be rejoining the real world (get a job) and whilst I dread leaving the Med, especially as I haven't even ventured out of Greece, I don't want to fly 24-30 hours to go sailing for 4 weeks (if I'm lucky) of the year.

So I'll be interested to hear from Aussie sailors about any aspect of sailing in Aussie.

I have toyed with the idea of sailing her up to QLD and basing her somewhere there, but after 6 years of flying from Sweden to Greece to have a sail, I want to try owning a yacht kept locally, so Melbourne it is.

My Father has had several yachts in Melbourne so I am familiar with sailing there and do kind of dread it, but I can always move her up to QLD later.

I’ve read enough of the importing to Aus, customs duty, GST, tax on shipping, valuation, AQIS etc to be numb on the idea and ready to be financially violated, so I’m more interested in stuff once the boat has cleared customs…

Jessabbe should land in Newcastle in November and I’m thinking of taking her to Sydney for the summer before continuing onto Melbourne in Feb or March. So I'm interested on hearing any tips from anyone located in the region.

Some of the things I’d like comments on

1. State rego… Jessabbe is currently Aus registered and I accept that I also have to get state rego. Home is Melbourne but she might stay in NSW for a few months. Can I just register her in Victoria whist she is on her way to Aus or must I register her in NSW to start with?

2. Mooring in Sydney, how hard is it to get a mooring for a few months over summer and from where and do I need to book long in advance?

3. Club memberships in Melbourne? Any comments on the clubs? I’m thinking go joining a club for social and the occasional races. I really like the Sandy club facilities (was there a couple of years ago as my fathers yacht was moored there at a brokers facility). However my home is in Albert Park and RMYS is so convenient (my Father used to be a member there) but I don’t know what the clubhouse is like. Not sure about the clubs on the Willy side, but if I end up mooring there, maybe they could be good.

4. Mooring in Melbourne options? I’m expecting to pay through the nose to start with for the first couple of years and pay a little less later (I hope). RMYS looks like it might be a good option, possibly with berths available. Docklands? Willy? Sandy looks like a good option but probably has a several year waiting list.

For those of you based in Port Phillip Bay, I'm curious to hear how you use your yachts?
Given that sailing out of Melbourne is perhaps more suited to day sails rather than long weekends/short weeks, it always felt like it's best to do some club racing to make the day sails more interesting.

I think that one summer I'd like to cruise Tassie, perhaps being in Hobart when the S2H racers arrive.

Read more: Goodbye Med - hello Melbourne Australia.... | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum
Old 11-07-2016, 00:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Goodbye Med - hello Melbourne Australia....

hoppy,

Moorings and marina space are at a premium in Sydney, imho. Knew a guy with a 55 ft. cat, D'Albora's wanted $1200.00 a WEEK for him. Five years ago or so.

That said, I'd contact Beashel's in Lovett Bay, and see if they have anything. For a while they had a boat that had sunk on one of their moorings, it might provide an impetus to remove it......

That said, Maritime NSW has a way that makes it okay for you to take over someone's mooring for the season they are away from it. Both parties have paperwork. Since we anchor when we are in this neck of the woods, I really don't know the details.

We had a friend who kept his yacht in Port Philip Bay some years ago, it was where he lived, and he seemed to like it quite well. But, of course, times have changed.......

Anyhow, sorry this change in plans has been forced on you by life, and wish you not only success but good luck as well in getting it sorted.

Ann

P.S. Some other cruisers recommended SAndringham YC to us. I know they have a transient berth. Whether that can be a "leg up" into shifting between vacant berths, I don't know. The people we met said that it is a "very friendly" YC. But then, there's the Yank flag on our boat, so don't know how they treat locals.
Old 11-07-2016, 00:16   #3

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat

I've just brought my 45ft cat back to Melbourne after nine years away in the warmer north –*NSW and Queensland. It's now moored at Docklands in the middle of the city –*so I have a great city apartment, but I'm 40 minutes away from the bay!

RMYS has a brand new marina and you should be able to do a good deal there for berthing. It's certainly closest to Albert Park, and the club has a good racing program.

I was until recently a member at Brighton - purely because it was at the time the only place I could find marina space –*and found many of the members extremely cliquey and more than a tad snobbish. If you own a cat, you're nobody. Have done some racing from there recently on a friend's boat, and nothing much has changed. Nice clubhouse, frosty atmosphere. Sandy is nicer and even larger and more lavish, but not that much nicer. I like the informality and much more relaxed atmosphere of RMYS.

As for sailing in the bay, summer is ok, but there's not a lot of interesting places to go to. The bay is huge and the sailing can always range from hell to heaven in a few hours. The winter is way too cold for me to bother much. But summer offers the empty glories of Tassie and its northern islands, as well as Wilson's Promontory. Yes, Bass Strait is always something to be cautious about, but I've done enough passages across now to know that modern forecasting and weather routing are wonderful things. There's usually somewhere to duck for cover, anyway.

And there's also the wonders of the Gippsland Lakes , now that the channel is regularly dredged. The voyage to Sydney is also a load of fun, with Eden and several other open ports available to pop into. I like to do the Eden-Sydney leg in one shot.

Really, it's easy enough to sneak out of the bay and up to Sydney at any time. And from there Queensland is just a patient sail north.

But if I were you, I'd stay in Greece until November! Melbourne is cold!
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
hoppy,

Moorings and marina space are at a premium in Sydney, imho. Knew a guy with a 55 ft. cat, D'Albora's wanted $1200.00 a WEEK for him. Five years ago or so.

That said, I'd contact Beashel's in Lovett Bay, and see if they have anything. For a while they had a boat that had sunk on one of their moorings, it might provide an impetus to remove it......

That said, Maritime NSW has a way that makes it okay for you to take over someone's mooring for the season they are away from it. Both parties have paperwork. Since we anchor when we are in this neck of the woods, I really don't know the details.

We had a friend who kept his yacht in Port Philip Bay some years ago, it was where he lived, and he seemed to like it quite well. But, of course, times have changed.......

Anyhow, sorry this change in plans has been forced on you by life, and wish you not only success but good luck as well in getting it sorted.

Ann

P.S. Some other cruisers recommended SAndringham YC to us. I know they have a transient berth. Whether that can be a "leg up" into shifting between vacant berths, I don't know. The people we met said that it is a "very friendly" YC. But then, there's the Yank flag on our boat, so don't know how they treat locals.
Thanks Anne, I'll try Beashel's and even D'Albora.

I've gone from planning to sail to Aus as a single guy, to engaged expectant father. Not really sure if keeping her (boat not fiancee) in Sydney over summer is such a sensible idea. Might be better off sailing straight to Melbourne.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
I was until recently a member at Brighton - purely because it was at the time the only place I could find marina space –*and found many of the members extremely cliquey and more than a tad snobbish.
That's why I've never been interested in it.

Sandys clubhouse looks good, but the RMYS potential berthing and convenience might win me over.

To an extent, I'm not so worried about Bass Strait as long as I can pick the time to sail and can get the weather forecasts.

BTW Gippsland lakes are not exactly 1.95m draft friendly
Old 11-07-2016, 03:42   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Before quitting Oz for foreign parts I quit Port Phillip and moved the boat to Hastings. Kept her there for about 6 years. Far better sailing than P Phillip.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I've gone from planning to sail to Aus as a single guy, to engaged expectant father. Not really sure if keeping her (boat not fiancee) in Sydney over summer is such a sensible idea. Might be better off sailing straight to Melbourne.
Hoppy, congratulations . In a few years you will have help with the antifouling .

Pittwater is my favourite sailing spot in the Sydney area (Hawksbury less so). I haven't sailed in Sydney Harbour much, but it is a spectacular location. Not sure if the mooring fees are worth the intermittent access you will have though if you are based in Melbourne.

Apart from joining club racing, why don't you consider joining the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria? Apart from races in the bay, the ones to Apollo Bay, Port Fairy, King Island, Devenport, etc are a lot of fun.

Port Phillip is unfortunately not a good spot for overnight cruising, unless you marina hop.

SWL

PS Sandy yacht club is my favourite in the bay.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:48   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Before quitting Oz for foreign parts I quit Port Phillip and moved the boat to Hastings. Kept her there for about 6 years. Far better sailing than P Phillip.
I thought of that too. Races around Phillip Island are fun and the tidal effects make it more challenging than the bay. Only problem is that it is a long drive from Albert Park and it sounds like free time will shortly be limited.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:16   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I was going to suggest Hastings too. Great marina, easy getting in and out and great sailing within a day's sail. Got to be cheaper to find or put down a mooring than Port Philip Bay.

Re registration, you will only need to register your boat with Victoria and not N.S.W. I think that will give you 3 months at least.

Yes, just checked. Max three months. No idea if they police in or not though.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:22   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

What can I say?

Consider the advantages of Moreton Bay.

Marinas in the northern bay (Scarborough Boat Harbour, with three marinas, each with berth vacancies - for comparative pricing, see Pricing - Scarborough MarinaScarborough Marina), the mid-bay (Wynnum Manly), and the southern bay (Jacobs Well, Coomera).

A healthy racing scene: regular races on Wed arvo snd Sat; ocean races such as the annual Brisbane-Gladstone.

Plenty of cruising opportunities, including to anchorages in the northern bay (on the coast of Moreton Island), and the southern bay stretching down to Gold Coast City and its fleshpots. Exit/enter the bay at the Gold Coast Seaway to the south. Exit/enter the northern end for a daysail to Mooloolaba or a longer leg to the Wide Bay Bar and the fun of Great Sandy Strait. And all points north.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:31   #11

Boat: Etap 37 S

We have a 37' mono at Sandringham, and quite like it. Had it up the yarra before that, which was cool to have a city apartment, but the trip up and down the yarra gets booring quickly.
Took 3 months to get into SYC, we ended up sailing there for a weekend, then on a club cruise, then just never left. Have had a few different berths, no big deal. Wait is normally 6 months ish.

Yarras edge at docklands, and Martha cove both have vacant berths currently, so no problem getting a spot in PPB.

Sandy is mostly racing, and a little cliquey amongst the racers. There is a small cruising contingent, who have been very welcoming to us in the nine months weve had the boat there.
We have done overnighters to Queenscliff, Geelong, Sorrento and Docklands, about half with the club. With a wife who has not sailed before, and two young kids, these trips are great for us now. Hopefully we will make it out of the bay this summer.

A couple of nice protected bays to anchor in would be nice though.

We plan to leave the boat in Sydney for a season soon, then the same in Tas.
Lots of plans to fill in our time.

Edit: Registration in Vic was trivial. I got a sail number from SYC via phone, and just needed to show proof of ownership to a vic roads office. $70 a year.

Mloi
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:26   #12

The child is due at the start of Jan and as the missus is from Czech, I was thinking/hoping that in March we'll be able to have a family sail on the harbour before I sail the boat to Melb. As I type this it seems so pointless. I should just plan on a quick delivery in November.

As SWL highlights I won't have much time, so I should start with as close to home as possible.

Hastings sounds and interesting future option, even as a summer base for exploring Bass Strait

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-07-2016, 07:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Congrats on your new and future crew!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:15   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Congrats!

We are anchored right next to you right now :-) Small world!

If your keen on a beer let me know!

Cheers

Matt and Emma

CREO
creo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by creo View Post
Congrats!

We are anchored right next to you right now :-) Small world!

If your keen on a beer let me know!

Cheers

Matt and Emma

CREO
Haha

We'll pop by shortly 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Australia