Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 13:29   #1

Complying with Florida Law/Taxes For Winter

I have a boat registered in a different state (a tax free, high annual registration cost state).

I want to spend the entire winter in Florida doing some fit out work.

Things change so quickly with regard to taxes and laws, I don't know the current situation.

What, exactly do I need to do in order to legally and properly travel around Florida for the winter this year, doing some fit out work?
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 14:11   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Complying with Florida Law/Taxes For Winter

I've seen others ask similar question regarding Fl requirements only to get some very erroneous info stated as fact. It's never a good idea to solicit tax or legal advice on the Internet, even from people you think may have similar experience as the requirements change.
Call any tax office and they will give/send you to relevant requirements. It is a customer-friendly office unlike many other states in which I have lived.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 14:31   #3

Many thousands of boaters travel around Florida with no tax problems . They will love you to to work on your boat . If you stay in one spot for a long times [ months ] you may come to the attention of someone wanting you to register your boat in our income tax free , low annual registration state .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 14:53   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_libra...t/gt800005.pdf
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:00   #5
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I will be vacationing in Florida this summer. Do I need to register my vessel there?
Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting boaters for a period of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector. However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable period of time.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 05:40   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is a link to a permit called a Sojurner Permit. It allows you to stay in Florida for longer periods of time. Florida “Sojourner’s Permit” Reprise | Cruisers' Net

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 09:09   #7

Boat: various over the years

I will leave advice on Florida vessel registration to others.

However, one feature of Florida registration that is unfamiliar to many
persons answering the phone at the registry is "antique vessel" registration.

If your boat is 30 or more years old AND is equipped with the original
type of engine (not the same as the original engine, see the definition on page 2) it may be registered as an "antique vessel" at greatly reduced annual fees. (Less than $20 in most cases.)

The application form may be found here. Bring it with you to the county tax office when registering:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87243.pdf
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 09:38   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I have a boat registered in a different state (a tax free, high annual registration cost state).

I want to spend the entire winter in Florida doing some fit out work.

Things change so quickly with regard to taxes and laws, I don't know the current situation.

What, exactly do I need to do in order to legally and properly travel around Florida for the winter this year, doing some fit out work?
Just keep your head down. I wintered a boat and more without a problem in Fla. And it wasn't yet registered or documented in the US. For what it may or may not be worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 10:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Here is a link to a permit called a Sojurner Permit. It allows you to stay in Florida for longer periods of time. Florida “Sojourner’s Permit” Reprise | Cruisers' Net
Excellent!

Thank you.

This seems to be the most straightforward process.

My boat is a brand new, highly visible catamaran. I have to be quite careful of the law because I'm one of the most noticeable boats in any area.

People come up to take pictures and oooh and ah.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 11:01   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Does anyone have the PDF referenced in that link (http://www.paradiseyachtsales.net/Sojourner1.pdf)? Seems that paradiseyachtsales.net no longer exists... Thank you!
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 13:08   #11

Boat: Cornado 25

Federally Documented or State Registered outside Fl if you remain in Fl water more than 90 days you are "required" to pay Fl registration fees. Here is the form to fill out to pay Fl their pound of flesh. This is not registration as such, because you may only be registered in one state (or USCG documented) at a time. Hence the name "sojourners permit".

Cost is not terrible, but enforcement is not strict as well. Make your own choice.
Old 28-01-2017, 08:01   #12

The information on the paradiseyachtsales website was out of date anyway. The form that capt-couillon provided a link to is the correct one. Note that the form does not say "sojourner" on it, and in fact that word does not appear anywhere in Florida state law. Hence, if you ask for a "sojourner permit" the folks at the DMV office may not know what you are talking about.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:41   #13

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Federally Documented or State Registered outside Fl if you remain in Fl water more than 90 days you are "required" to pay Fl registration fees. Here is the form to fill out to pay Fl their pound of flesh. This is not registration as such, because you may only be registered in one state (or USCG documented) at a time. Hence the name "sojourners permit".

Cost is not terrible, but enforcement is not strict as well. Make your own choice.
There are plenty of boats, including mine, that are USCG documented and registered in a state. If USCG registered you don't put the state numbers on your hull but have to display the state (paid for at a county office) sticker, usually on the lower portion of the window of the salon.

How strict the enforcement is is a function of the value of the boat. A 200 foot super yacht owned by a Russian Mafia billionaire will be subject to strict enforcement (and probably the same for a 21 foot home build Warrham that looks like it might have a leaky holding tank) while a nondescript boat may draw little attention.

There are also some exemptions for things like a boat on the hard being worked on, or in a marina if you can show the marina is doing repairs that take some time.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Excellent!

Thank you.

This seems to be the most straightforward process.

My boat is a brand new, highly visible catamaran. I have to be quite careful of the law because I'm one of the most noticeable boats in any area.

People come up to take pictures and oooh and ah.
When you register you will likely trigger FL sales/use tax.

FL rate is 6% plus a small county surcharge for counties other than Broward.

You will receive credit for sales tax already paid in another state if any.

See DotDun's link above.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 11:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
When you register you will likely trigger FL sales/use tax.
No sales/use tax due in Florida if you have owned and used the boat for more than 6 months in another state.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, taxes