Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2014, 22:13   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Catamaran Texas to Florida

69 year old male captain, experienced with multihulls, recently purchased 36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran. Boat is in Rockport, Tx, area having survey findings dealt with. Boat is in good condition. Details on request to prospective crew.

This is a non paying position, expenses will be paid, probably including transportation unless you're doing a round trip from some distant place.
Onshore expenses such as restaurants and bars are yours. Well, a landfall celebration in Florida would probably be on me.

I hope to sail straight across the gulf to Florida, but that is dependent on weather. The trip may be partly ICW for that reason. I do not wish to sail coastwise along Texas, Louisiana, etc. due to the oil rigs and traffic.

You should have some sailing experience, be healthy, intelligent, personable, and willing to follow instructions. No smoking, drugs, or intoxication. We be grownups here, so if you want a drink on board the requirement is sensible behavior. If you like to cook that's a bonus. The cook doesn't do dishes so I will.

Comfortable cabin available for a single or a couple.

Departure in 2-3 weeks from either Port Aransas or Galveston. Destination is the west coast of Florida, where exactly depends on the weather gods. If that sounds vague it's because I intend to use the existing weather conditions to have a comfortable and fast trip to Florida. Since my final destination is Daytona, I want to get to the west coast safely and quickly, then work my way around to the east coast in a somewhat leisurely fashion.

This is an excellent opportunity for sailors interested in multihulls to gain some experience. I'm happy to share what I know, ranging from hard won knowledge to amusing lies lol.

Crew is wanted for Texas to the west Florida coast, but may be extended to the keys or east coast. I intend to make the disembarkment location suitable for the crew as much as possible. Trip could take anywhere from 6 days to three weeks, depending on route and weather. Doing part of the trip might be possible if nobody suitable is available for the whole trip.

Interested parties please respond by pm only.
Please do not respond on this thread.
Thank you.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29   #2

Re: Catamaran Texas to Florida

Clarification:
Crew space is available for one person or a couple.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 13:14   #3

This sounds like an awesome opportunity! I'm a 24 year old paramedic currently living in San Diego. I live on my catalina 30 here and take it out almost everyday I have off. I'm still learning everyday but, I am a great listener and take instruction very well. Also, I love to cook and from what people say I'm not too bad. I can get time off for this trip and would love to attend feel free to contact me via Email at Crofton dot Matt at gmail dot com or via PM and I can send you my phone number. Look forward to hearing from you.
-Matty.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12   #4

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31

Ahoy FSMike,

My name is Robert, I'm 54, a competitive distance runner, looking for some sea miles.
Own a 31' Hunter, Dances with Waves for last 5 years, passed OUPV have TWIC and 3,000 nm offshore from Maine, NY, Bermuda, Bahamas and PR on boats up to 50' monohulls.
Flexible schedule as I'm between land jobs so I could at least commit to the TX-FL landfall possibly longer if you could stand me.
Not a rank novice but have not sailed flat before on big Cats so that is an interesting challenge I'm willing to learn.
Sailing CV and excellent references for some reason I cannot attach but can send regular email if you like.
Live in Bradenton, FL. Thank you for your consideration.

Fair Winds,

Robert Sweeney

941-264-4932c, [email] soarxc@earthlink.net
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26   #5

Sent PM
Old 14-06-2014, 09:17   #6

Pm sent.
Old 14-06-2014, 09:22   #7

Boat: Hughes 38

Is ability to follow directions important...?

Sent from my SM-T217T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-06-2014, 20:31   #8

Hi Everybody -
Sorry to say that the trip has been delayed due to every boat mechanic in the area being previously booked for a month.
The good news for me is that this means my lady can get enough time free to do the trip with me. The bad news for everybody who was interested in the trip is that the crew position no longer exists. Should this change I will repost. Thanks to all who inquired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
Is ability to follow directions important...?
Sent from my SM-T217T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Airshac -
Is ability to follow directions important? Considering what I just said about my lady joining me, Gawd I hope not lol!
Thanks for your inquiry.
Old 16-06-2014, 17:00   #9

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45

Glad the mechanic was late so your lady could go!!!

Tags
catamaran, florida, texas