Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 19:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Florida to Texas

Started a new thread but now can not find it. I am sailing my new Beneteau 49 from Ft Lauderdale to Galveston (home port). Has any one doe this trip. If so how was the crossing in late april and early may?
sterlinghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 20:31   #2

Boat: Morgan 37
Send a message via ICQ to joestar
Re: Florida to Texas

Sterlinghuff
For what it is worth… I sailed (and motored) A Moody 30 from Cape Canaveral to Rockport, in June and July, 2010. The only item I can relate to is sailing from Tarpon Springs to St. Joe. It saved me some distance and there are very few marines after Tarpon Springs that could handle the draft at that time. It was a 28 hour leg. We enjoyed the sea and saw only one set of lights at night. The sea did get rather rough that night, but not enough to keep the off watch awake.
I imagine you plan a direct crossing from the Key West to Galveston. I have been told that one could expect a storm every four to five days. I would contact some of the delivery Captains for advice, as they have made the Gulf crossing many times.
joestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 22:02   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

I've sailed westbound across the Gulf twice in my Morgan 41, once from Isla Mujeres Mexico and once from Key West (really Dry Tortugas). Both times in June. May should be glorious, after cold fronts and before tropical moisture and squally, unsettled weather. First trip was mostly sailing, 5.5 days, maybe 24-30 hrs motoring. Second trip was longer, we had to circle south of the BP oil spill. 8 days, four sailing, two spinnaker, two motoring. Good fishing (mahi mahi, our favorite), great sailing. I'm practically ready to join you. I may be sailing our boat back from St Martin to Texas in May June timeframe. See you out there.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 01:47   #4

Boat: Various

We've been in the gulf of Mexico the last three weeks, crossing between Pensacola and St. Pete Thursday to Friday. Crossing the other way two weeks ago. We waited one day at one point simply because of all the rain. But we haven't experienced over 3' and mostly 1-2', breezes under 15 knots. Had we gotten out Thursday early though would have been 3-5'. Now our last trip here we saw 4-6' and it was worsening to 6-8' when we pulled into Panama City and remained that way for five days. Much of the time it's beautiful out here, just perfect. But making the crossing you have in mind, the forecasts over that period tend to lack something in accuracy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 04:56   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Click your Name in the top Right of this window. Then click "Statistics" and you will find the threads you have started :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 05:44   #6

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I've done that crossing twice. I think the end of April, early May is pressing the end of the Northers, but if you have a good weather window, boat and crew prepared, is very doable. Only a few deep water rigs on that rhumb line, more of course closer in at Galveston.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 09:50   #7

Boat: Hunter 380

Let me know if you need a crew hand. Will pay my own way. We are considering a 49 and it would be great to make the passage. Schedule is flexible with little notice.
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, texas