Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 13:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50
Beneteau Sense 50 issues

I own a 2012 Beneteau Sense 50 for 2 years now. I have some issues and I would like to share experiences with other Beneteau Sense owners.
The boat performs fantastic, fast and easy to sail. I had the self tacking jib installed for Chesapeake bay sailing. Make solo sailing a breeze.
I am not impressed by the aircon system that is installed. If the boat is hot, it cannot cool the interior more than a few degrees and reduce the humidity. If you want maintain a comfortable level, the system has to run all day starting before it gets hot. Also it is tempramental and may need to be reset/restarted in between. I believe it is an Italian brand air condition unit and not as robust as we are used to in USA.
Next issue is the Throttle/Dock and Go system. Since it is all electronic I am concerned about the exposure if there is an electrical failure. Neither the dealer or Beneteau can come up with a backup plan. I have had failures with this system and it is not fun to try to dock when the propulsion suddenly disconnects. This system is a serious exposure.
It is difficult to reach the engine for service and I have gone to significant expense to install a oil servicing system and racor fuel filters.
Accommodations are spacious and well designed.
Senseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:28   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Beneteau Sense 50 issues

Not a sense owner but what happened to French Kiss would be enough to scare most folks off.
Old 07-07-2014, 19:55   #3

Boat: Tanzer 27

French Kiss?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
French Kiss?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Apparently the computer crashed going in an inlet (Ft. Pierce) and the boat was not steerable and wrecked. A Sense 50. A beautiful boat, professionally skippered.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

don't order it with the "dock and Go" system then - simple

dave
Old 08-07-2014, 17:44   #6

Vasco,
thank you for that tidbit of a story. Where can I get the details of the "French Kiss" happening? I surely would like to present that to my Beneteau dealer.
Old 08-07-2014, 18:11   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

You could start here

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal..." - Page 3 - SailNet Community
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseless View Post
Vasco,
thank you for that tidbit of a story. Where can I get the details of the "French Kiss" happening? I surely would like to present that to my Beneteau dealer.
It had dock and go, ( where the engine swivels) , seemingly the system crashed with the engine at right angles, before they could sort it, they hit rocks in a narrow inlet. I suspect that before they realised what had happened, it seas too late. In theory a manual shutdown of the engine and resorting to sail should have saved them them ...but.

Mind you why they were using the "dock and go" system when away from the dock and in and inlet , hasn't been explained, too much button pushing-iris maybe ( the ghee.. what does that button do........)

its under the category of "sh&t happens"

dave
Old 09-07-2014, 04:54   #9

Quote:
Vasco,
Your Beneteau dealer knows the story. They all do.http://cruising.sailboatowners.com/c...-pierce-inlet/
Old 09-07-2014, 12:40   #10
Nearly an old salt

Ive read several about several issues with these systems,including the similar system on new jeaneaus, utilising a rotating sail drive leg and integrating the bow thruster into the control system.

Early adopter problems if you ask me!!

Dave
Old 09-07-2014, 14:29   #11

Thanks for the information. This makes sense (no pun). I had a throttle failure and by hitting the stop button on the system the engine stopped and restarted and everything worked OK. About a 10 seconds restart.
But with this information I can demand that Beneteau takes responsibility for any future malfunctions.
Clearly the system is totally dependent on the electronic control of the bow thruster and the rotating prop. There is no manual backup, which is the design flaw. At least you should be able to put the engine in straight forward and restore the throttle control. However now it just disconnects.
Old 10-07-2014, 17:35   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

Senseless,

I LOVE the Sense 50. I am jealous - it's on my short list. So I appreciate the information, although I tend to block out things I don't want to hear

I love the salon/galley, love that optional office on the starboard side, love the storage space, and the cockpit is amazing.

The only thing that concerned me was the position of the cabins. I know this boat sails pretty flat, but I assume it still pitches with the best of them. Is the owner's cabin a viable option while cruising? Is the guest cabin much better? What worries me is the possibility that I would have to sleep in the salon or in the optional crew berth aft during long voyages.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 18:09   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks for the information. This makes sense (no pun). I had a throttle failure and by hitting the stop button on the system the engine stopped and restarted and everything worked OK. About a 10 seconds restart.

But with this information I can demand that Beneteau takes responsibility for any future malfunctions.

Clearly the system is totally dependent on the electronic control of the bow thruster and the rotating prop. There is no manual backup, which is the design flaw. At least you should be able to put the engine in straight forward and restore the throttle control. However now it just disconnects.

The issue with all these systems is that a fail safe or manual override is almost impossible to engineer , I suppose you could have a spring loaded return to centre option that could be manually engaged but it's adds complexity and cost. No easy solution , no more then there no throttle backup in a modern fly by wire car.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35   #14

Boat: Swan 432

In my opinion simpler is better. Why anyone would want to add a complicated system like this is beyond me. Add in the fact that Beneteau is one of the cheapest boats made tells me there is not a lot of redundancy built in to the system.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:49   #15

I am currently looking at a Sense 55, I love the lines. It just makes sense to me. I have read all about the Drive Cone problems on the mono's and cats, and that is an easy fix if needed when not near a authorized repair location.

But I have not heard of any recent issues with the Sail Drive failing. I know what the dealers will say that is all fixed and behind them. But I still have had a hard time locating anyone recently with issues. One or two problems with a new system doesn't make them all bad.

I love the concept of the Sail Drive, but with out a full understanding of the system how it worked and how it interfaces with the other systems I won't touch it. If I cant get them to explain it in detail I don't know what to do.

I actually wanted to see if I can get them to put in writing that if I have some measurable amount of problems, I would require them to replace the Sail Drives with the standard units. I think that would be a simple fit once its out of the water....Hell what's a few extra wires.
Gentle Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau