Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 18:49   #1

Couple Wants to Sail in Texas

Hi. We are late 40's, early 50's couple looking to connect up with someone/couples to sail on the bay and/or gulf. We sail/race Cat 30 on the lake in DFW area often but want some sea time. Have chartered twice in BVI's. Great. He needs to get hours for CG certs desired. Has ASA thru 105. Give us a shout if you are in the area and need company.
Old 20-10-2011, 06:57   #2

Re: Couple Wants to Sail in Texas

I am buying a 41' sloop with a fin keel and 6' draft. I need to move it from Maryland thru the ICW by motor.Down the east coast,Gulf and into Kehma, Texas. Kehma is just north of Houston. I think somewhere between 20-30 days will get us there.You may know travel is restricted on ICW at night. The ICW makes about 1/4 the distance and/or time.I live in the Arlington area.I am a married and a older fellow.I was in the Navy 45 yrs ago.I have sailed some.The boat is a retirement dream.This boat has a schaeffer boom. The boom furls the sheet internaly into the boom.It is not neccessary to come up to luff.You can reef while still in a tack to ANY desired lenght.All lines go to the cockpit to ficilitate a solo sailing experience. She has a furling jib,autohelm,gps,chartplotter,vhf,ssb,etc.We may serve each others needs here. I need to move the boat and I need help from a more experienced sailor.Are you interested?
Old 20-10-2011, 07:46   #3

Boat: Vagabond 42

Oldman66, the town is Kemah, Texas and it is south of Houston on Galveston Bay.

Rakoerber, you might look into joining Lakewood Yacht Club as an out of town member. It is a beautiful club with hundreds of sailing members who are always looking for crew. Join the club, get to know some people and go sailing on Galveston Bay. There are also charter clubs and bareboat charters available in Kemah out of the Boardwalk marina.
Old 20-10-2011, 17:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66
I am buying a 41' sloop with a fin keel and 6' draft. I need to move it from Maryland thru the ICW by motor.Down the east coast,Gulf and into Kehma, Texas. Kehma is just north of Houston. I think somewhere between 20-30 days will get us there.You may know travel is restricted on ICW at night. The ICW makes about 1/4 the distance and/or time.I live in the Arlington area.I am a married and a older fellow.I was in the Navy 45 yrs ago.I have sailed some.The boat is a retirement dream.This boat has a schaeffer boom. The boom furls the sheet internaly into the boom.It is not neccessary to come up to luff.You can reef while still in a tack to ANY desired lenght.All lines go to the cockpit to ficilitate a solo sailing experience. She has a furling jib,autohelm,gps,chartplotter,vhf,ssb,etc.We may serve each others needs here. I need to move the boat and I need help from a more experienced sailor.Are you interested?
Wow. You have a trip ahead of you for sure. I don't believe it possible for me(us) to leave work and help you bring it to Kemah. Wish we could though. Hope you find someone who can assist. Let us know how it goes.
Old 20-10-2011, 17:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42
Oldman66, the town is Kemah, Texas and it is south of Houston on Galveston Bay.

Rakoerber, you might look into joining Lakewood Yacht Club as an out of town member. It is a beautiful club with hundreds of sailing members who are always looking for crew. Join the club, get to know some people and go sailing on Galveston Bay. There are also charter clubs and bareboat charters available in Kemah out of the Boardwalk marina.
Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. We will check into that.
Old 20-10-2011, 17:50   #6

Thanks for your response. Hope you find a couple with a like mind to get together with.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:18   #7

Thanks "oldman66". We sail regularly on the local lake but was hoping to connect up with occasional bay and sea time options. We'll continue looking. Good luck with the transfer. Hope it goes well.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:19   #8

Forgot to ask you about your Navy time. Where did you serve? I was on CVN69 31 or so years ago.
Old 20-10-2011, 20:21   #9

Destroyer DD 508 USS Cony. From 1962 to 1966. We raised the Russian Nuclear Sub B49 during the Cuba missel crisis. I was 17 and had no clue I was envolved in averting world war lll. All I really remember is the Captain saying something important and spending the next 23 hours with 120+ degrees of heat at watch in the main engine room. The whole crew was dehydrated and sick. Some fell over from heat exhaustion,etc. To be very honest I did not know to the extinct of my envolvement until my daughter/sister did some research on the Cony.
Old 20-10-2011, 20:26   #10

Sorry you ask where and not what. It was in Norfolk on the East coast.Great memories and adventure. Saw the world from all over on many continents from a bar stool. What a terrible waste of an opportunity. Very sad.
Old 21-10-2011, 20:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66
Sorry you ask where and not what. It was in Norfolk on the East coast.Great memories and adventure. Saw the world from all over on many continents from a bar stool. What a terrible waste of an opportunity. Very sad.
Yeah. I remember those days. Great. Freedom, even in the service. Ike was out of NF as well. I spent first 2 yrs on Guam and the rest on IKE. Not as interesting a time as you in 62 but still adventurous.
Old 21-10-2011, 20:52   #12

Youth is wasteded on the young.
Old 24-10-2011, 18:37   #13

Boat: Valiant 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
I live just north of you near Gainesville. Have kept my boat in Kemah for last ten years and have sailed Gulf and Galveston Bay extensively. I am also an older fellow. Are you considering a crew of you and one more? Probably sufficient since travel by night is not safe in the ICW. Time off is not a factor for me nor would date of trip be.
Old 24-10-2011, 18:54   #14

Boat: departure 35

We're down in Corpus Christi and would love to have you down for some sailing. I just sit on the boat most of the week polishing stuff and tinkering while my wife works. She's a college professor and I'm a farmer now so I drive her to corpus every week. We usually go sailing on Friday and saturdays. I'm retired Navy. Was on some really good ships and one barge destroyer tender. USS Midway, Lexington, Iowa, Downes and the yellowstone. I sure miss it and would love having another sailor aboard to swap sea stories with. Maybe I can teach you how we fished on the frigate I was on.
Old 25-10-2011, 20:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch
We're down in Corpus Christi and would love to have you down for some sailing. I just sit on the boat most of the week polishing stuff and tinkering while my wife works. She's a college professor and I'm a farmer now so I drive her to corpus every week. We usually go sailing on Friday and saturdays. I'm retired Navy. Was on some really good ships and one barge destroyer tender. USS Midway, Lexington, Iowa, Downes and the yellowstone. I sure miss it and would love having another sailor aboard to swap sea stories with. Maybe I can teach you how we fished on the frigate I was on.
How's the sailing there? We have never been further down than Galveston. What years in Nav? Love to see some pics of boat. We use yahoo with same name.

Tags
sail, texas