Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 15:16   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Water town-east coast USA

I have a 4-6 years before I retire. Both my wife and I know 100% we want to live coastal. I LOVE sailing and she tolerates it. We are not packing it up and sailing around the world. But continuing to sail and some extended cruising is in our future. I accept this compromise. We are starting to try to narrow down where we would like to live. I would like to be on the Atlantic side more than the Gulf of Mexico. Florida isn't ruled out completely but my wife enjoys a change of seasons which Florida doesn't really have. We might go as far north as the Chesepeake but definitely not further. I would like a place that has a large bay/sound so there is protected water to sail and enjoy other water activities in, with easy access to open water. And a short drive to the beach. This shortens the list up quickly. One place I am attracted to is the Outer banks-Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds. This area seems to check a lot of the boxes. I would love to hear advise from those that have lived in this area or others we might like.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:18   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Water town-east coast USA

If you also live on land, get inland some and uphill.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:25   #3

To clarify. We will be land based.

Thanks

Foster
Old 04-09-2018, 15:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The NC sounds don’t have good access to the ocean and are pretty undeveloped, not a lot of marinas.

Also what size and type/draft are you looking at.

I’m thinking you should look at the Norfolk area. I think that’s about what you describe. Lots of protected sailing, tons of destinations, access to the ocean, but a long way to go to get anywhere.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 16:03   #5

I used to live on Kent Island on the Chesapeake, right next to the Kentmorr Marina. I loved it, except the winters......couldn't go back.

I used to live in Melbourne, Florida...REALLY liked that place but access to the ocean in a sailboat isn't so great.

I used to stay in Deerfield Beach, Florida for extended periods....LOVED the ocean access, hated the winter crowds.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-09-2018, 16:13   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

How far you willing to drive to get to the boat?
Old 04-09-2018, 16:36   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Oriental NC, “Sailing Capital of North Carolina”

- Dirt cheap real estate
- Cute town, super friendly people
- Wonderful sailing right there on the Neuse River
- A hour from the beach
- A bit of a retirement community for sailors, so pretty diverse

Not half as hot as Florida, but south of the freeze line. Spring and fall there are spectacular.

Check out towndock.net, a for profit online newspaper for the town.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Oriental was my second thought. A bit far from an airport or big city, if that is a concern.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:28   #9

Great opinions. Thank you.

Being real close to an airport is not a big concern. Would like to be close to boat and beach but definitely don't want to live on the beach. Wife really does like sailing on cats the best. Probably a 35-40' cat or a mono hull in the same size. I would put a maximum draft of 5' on anything of interest.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

While I agree Orient is easy to go sailing at, it's just up/down the river for the most part near as I can tell from passing through a few times.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:22   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
While I agree Orient is easy to go sailing at, it's just up/down the river for the most part near as I can tell from passing through a few times.

That’s true, but the sailing is lovely on the river for day sailing. And you’re right on the ICW, right south of Pamlico Sound, and one day by boat from the open ocean via Beaufort.

You’re about 45 minutes from the airport in New Bern.

The town is a bit sailing crazy. I met four or five younger people who actually moved there to learn to sail, which I found rather interesting.

I was there for about a year refitting my boat. First couple of weeks I thought it was quaint. For the month after that I thought I would lose my mind if I stayed too long. Then I got to know people and the area and now I look forward to returning when passing by.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42   #12

Boat: Pearson 28-II

The eastern shore of the Chesapeake has a number of lovely small towns and all four seasons. The western shore is pricier but has a larger range of options from Annapolis to Norfolk and even DC is only an hour from the water.

I would choose the Chesapeake over NC for one reason: hurricanes. My wife used to live in eastern NC and got sick and tired of evacuating all the time. We are much more protected up here.
ChesapeakeScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33   #13
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And that'll be ever more relevant as time passes
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:30   #14

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Kilmarnock or Deltaville Va. Western shore, lots of sailing and destinations. Lots of marinas. Eastern shore side a bit isolated, but Cape Charles has great marinas and facilities. Norfolk-Hampton Roads area too busy on land and water. By the time you get to Solomon's MD, you can hear the PAX River Air Station jets. So western shore Chesapeake, between Potomac river mouth and Deltaville Va area is the best I think from several perspectives.

Now the Chesapeake is shallow, with an average depth of around 30 feet. So chart plotter with latest updates always at hand.

Yo put it in perspective, if a scale model of the lower bay were constructed, defined as 20 miles wide and 100 miles long, and had an average depth of 30 feet, it could be scaled back to fit in a building for water flow and levels studies.

To fit it long ways on a football field (100yds) it would be 58 feet wide and the depth would be 0.0176 inches. So a scaled (Reynolds #) wind blowing on this scale model would have a marked effect on lunar-solar tide levels on the bay as well as inlets, rivers, etc.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

The majority of large center console boat builders call the Charleston, SC area home.

It's not a bad area for sailing. There's a large protected harbor where people hone their skills. Beaufort and Savannah are an easy day sail. It's not a huge trek to FL or the Bahamas.

Tags
east coast, water