Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 07:29   #1

Hawaii Marina and Check In

Newbie in need of advice. Does anybody know a good secure marina or boat yard where we can leave our 40 foot ketch for a year, on the hard, at reasonable cost? Also can anybody tell have current information on the best, easiest, safest and least hassle way to approach Hawaii and check in? With thanks
chrysanthemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 07:43   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hawaii Marina and Check In

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Newbie in need of advice. Does anybody know a good secure marina or boat yard where we can leave our 40 foot ketch for a year, on the hard, at reasonable cost?
In Hawaii???....ah no.
Now the long answer...On the Big island, Kona Marine. The owner of that yard is a piece of work. I know, I worked their briefly.
Also a place in Honolulu but I have been told they charge a lot and the security is poor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 15:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Gentry Marine at Honokohau in Kona has a dry storage area. There are are usually a couple of boats on the hard while owners are elsewhere. Storage only with no boat work allowed though I heard rumors that someone totally rebuilt the interior of there boat while in this storage. Count your fingers after shaking hands. Get everything in writing and be sure you thoroughly understand the costs and restrictions. From experience they'll rip you off if they can. Having said that, as long as you go in with your eyes open, it's a secure place to leave a boat.

The boat yard is separate from the storage yard allows you to work on the boat. They supply nothing but the travel lift, haul out and chocking. There is a machine shop and very competent independent workers for everything from SS fabrication to painting and every thing in between. Labor rates seem to be less than yards in California. You could have a boat built in the yard with the workers that are there so a good place for a refit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 19:53   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Gentry Marine at Honokohau in Kona has a dry storage area. There are are usually a couple of boats on the hard while owners are elsewhere. Storage only with no boat work allowed though I heard rumors that someone totally rebuilt the interior of there boat while in this storage. Count your fingers after shaking hands. Get everything in writing and be sure you thoroughly understand the costs and restrictions. From experience they'll rip you off if they can. Having said that, as long as you go in with your eyes open, it's a secure place to leave a boat.

The boat yard is separate from the storage yard allows you to work on the boat. They supply nothing but the travel lift, haul out and chocking. There is a machine shop and very competent independent workers for everything from SS fabrication to painting and every thing in between. Labor rates seem to be less than yards in California. You could have a boat built in the yard with the workers that are there so a good place for a refit.
I worked there in 2003. I can assure you no one did that while I was there. Although some of the motley crew that was there very well could have had their hand greased and looked the other way...and yes watch the management like a hawk for charges.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 20:02   #5

Boat: Cobbling one together

Thoughts on options if I'm not too particular about where. As well as possibly being open to taking a mooring, vs. having a slip?
Thanks
Old 13-06-2017, 20:16   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Out of curiosity, how is Hilo for mooring long term? I visited there last winter for a couple weeks and there seemed to be a couple boats that had been there a while, moored in Reeds Bay.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii