Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 22:01   #1

Puerto Escondido (Baja) between April-June?

A friend says we're welcome to use his sailboat in PE. Would have about 12 days available (although 4 used up travelling), so 8.

Of those, what is the best month for warm enough sea temps, still some pretty decent wind and marine life?
What are air temps like then?

Favorite snorkeling spots within 90nm ?

If you could only make time for one, Bay of Concepcion or islands above La Paz?

Thanks!

Ps- Could push off till November if it would be the best month of the year.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:29   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Puerto Escondido (Baja) between April-June?

april to june is perfect weather.. go for it..
you willl have warm air an d warming seas.
lots of sea life. wherever you go will be good fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

As one who has actually lived in the SOC, year around, I would suggest late October and November. The water temp follows the air temp, so in late spring, early summer, the iar is pretty warm but the water can still be pretty coolish. But, by late October or November, the air will have cooled back down after the heat of the summer, but the water will still be warm. Either one is good, but, in my opinion, I would prefer the warmer water. Wait too late, though, and you will run into Norte's, and that's not fun.

I loved Bahia Concepcion, but would probably do the islands north of La Paz. But, why not spend the time in the area and islands around PE? They are great!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42   #4

April to June. July thru Sept it's friggin HOT. Too many Northers in the winter. Dont expect warm waters like the Caribe etc. Bring a thin skin for snorkeling at least. Have a fishing line and rubber squid to drag. PE is kinda in the zone to go North or South. Get Charlie's charts and figure it out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:00   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cherry ..eeb mike has sea surface temps and weather for the particular area.. might want to check that for an idea of weather at your specified time of year...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:03   #6

Thank you Contrail, just what I was looking for.
You describe my experience in the Med, best months are Sept (no hurricanes) - Nov since the crazy high July and Aug air temps have warmed the sea but air temperature gets down into the 90s- 80s then.

Well, there is one thing, we want wind over heat. It seems from my online research and what cruising friends have said it seems November can be pretty light (of course a cane changes that)? I am in the SF Bay, I don't much care for 25 kt days, but 10-15 is nice. And I think October will just be too frigging hot. I am looking for 90f days, not 100s. I have been fine with those temps cruising Cali, but the sun is stronger down there, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
As one who has actually lived in the SOC, year around, I would suggest late October and November. The water temp follows the air temp, so in late spring, early summer, the iar is pretty warm but the water can still be pretty coolish. But, by late October or November, the air will have cooled back down after the heat of the summer, but the water will still be warm. Either one is good, but, in my opinion, I would prefer the warmer water. Wait too late, though, and you will run into Norte's, and that's not fun.

I loved Bahia Concepcion, but would probably do the islands north of La Paz. But, why not spend the time in the area and islands around PE? They are great!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:05   #7

Thanks Cheechako and Zee.
Yes, bringing a wetsuit pending what month.
Zee, going to that site now.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:09   #8

Wait, hold everything!
I just read that PE's marina has a pool AND a hot tub?!?!
Shoot, may never leave the marina!
Old 22-04-2018, 16:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Wait, hold everything!
I just read that PE's marina has a pool AND a hot tub?!?!
Shoot, may never leave the marina!
It's a very small pool and hot tub. The islands just outside are great.
Magiccruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 17:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Thank you Contrail, just what I was looking for.
You describe my experience in the Med, best months are Sept (no hurricanes) - Nov since the crazy high July and Aug air temps have warmed the sea but air temperature gets down into the 90s- 80s then.

Well, there is one thing, we want wind over heat. It seems from my online research and what cruising friends have said it seems November can be pretty light (of course a cane changes that)? I am in the SF Bay, I don't much care for 25 kt days, but 10-15 is nice. And I think October will just be too frigging hot. I am looking for 90f days, not 100s. I have been fine with those temps cruising Cali, but the sun is stronger down there, right?
Summer is super hot....hottest I have been, anywhere, and much of my life has been in hot places. But, at some point in September or October, there will be the first Northerly, and that takes the edge off of things. It never gets quite that hot again. I would say that by late October, it will definitely be a good bit cooler. By December, it can get cold, when the northerlies blow regularly.

Wind is hard to predict. I have known people to cruise the SOC without an engine, and I did it once, myself, due to mechanical problems. There was a lot of light air sailing, but sail we did. If your boat can sail well, you can do more than you might expect. But what happens, is that impatience kicks in, particularly for those used to constant strong winds like in SF Bay.

I also noticed that folks generally needed to run their engines for a bit, every day, to charge batteries, run refrigeration, etc. They also had awnings up. Since many of the anchorages are pretty close, let's say an hour or two away, people leave their awnings up and do their battery charging underway. Then they say that they motored everywhere because there was no wind! Actually, they motored because it was more convenient and practical to do so, and I understand that. But, if you have a boat that sails well, and are determined to sail, it's surprising how much sailing you can do, unless you get impatient. I have no idea, on average, if it will be better in May/June or October/November......never really kept track of it that way...sorry.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 18:32   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

To the OP (and anyone else who hasn't anchored there) you have got to put the V Cove on your list. It's at the North end of Carmen Island, about a mile from the East corner of the island. It's a pumice flow beach with caves you can drive into with your dink. One of my absolute favorite places in Mexico.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 19:31   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailorcherry, you will need to make sure the boat you borrow has a fishing license, as well as personal licenses for whoever will be fishing. You will also need a letter from the owner allowing you guys to skipper his boat for the period. In most foreign countries, the police like to look, and so do the military, at all one's papers.

Jim and I spent a fair wee bit of time in the Golfo de California (SOC), and one place I remember near there where we had really good spear fishing was Isla Catalina.

Enjoy your explore.

Ann
Old 22-04-2018, 19:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sailorcherry, you will need to make sure the boat you borrow has a fishing license, as well as personal licenses for whoever will be fishing. You will also need a letter from the owner allowing you guys to skipper his boat for the period. In most foreign countries, the police like to look, and so do the military, at all one's papers.

Ann
Ann

As far as I know the boat isn't licensed but if there is fishing gear on board everyone aboard has to have a valid license.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 20:28   #14

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
To the OP (and anyone else who hasn't anchored there) you have got to put the V Cove on your list. It's at the North end of Carmen Island, about a mile from the East corner of the island. It's a pumice flow beach with caves you can drive into with your dink. One of my absolute favorite places in Mexico.
Shhhhhhh..... you'll ruin it for everyone. I've stopped there twice in the last year. Nobody there. Caves are awesome.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 07:14   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Buy this cruising Guide to plan your trip:
Blue Latitude Press - The most up-to-date and accurate Mexico Cruising Guides!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja