Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 19:39   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Hawaii to Fiji (and beyond) August

I am sailing from San Francisco to Kaneohe in July in the Pacific Cup. While my crew is flying back home, I would like to continue cruising, and hopefully circumnavigate. This would start with an early to mid August passage to Fiji.

The boat is a Morgan 382. As part of the prep for the Pacific Cup, she is compliant with US Sailing's offshore requirements. All new standing rigging, new sails, and lots of "little things" have been upgraded or replaced. She is about as safe and prepared for Ocean Sailing as a boat can be.

As a cruiser, she has no refrigeration, no solar, no watermaker. So it won't be a luxury cruise.

I currently have one interested woman, but that isn't definite. We are both in our 40's. I'd like to have a total of 3 or 4, including myself.

Would expect to share costs of provisioning (pay for your own food) and to share in watchkeeping. It would be great if you had an interest in continuing beyond Fiji. I would rather not be looking for crew every other stop. It would also be great if you loved taking pictures, video etc., because I seem to always forget, but would like to keep the social media up to date with my whereabouts.
Old 26-06-2018, 06:19   #2

Re: Hawaii to Fiji (and beyond) August

I may be interested in joining once you've reached the South Pacific if you're going slowly through the islands.

Keep me updated if interested.
windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 07:22   #3

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to, I think it is a bit late in the season to go slowly through the islands. By sailing from Hawaii to Fiji, I am skipping most of it.
Old 26-06-2018, 08:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Unfortunately, as much as I would love to, I think it is a bit late in the season to go slowly through the islands. By sailing from Hawaii to Fiji, I am skipping most of it.
is it not already too late in the season to be leaving from hawaii,there have already been 2 tropical disturbances this month in the Npac.

april- may would be a more prudent time to head south.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 09:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
is it not already too late in the season to be leaving from hawaii,there have already been 2 tropical disturbances this month in the Npac.

april- may would be a more prudent time to head south.
Unfortunately, the Pacific Cup is in July. I can't change that. I've not been able to find a place to stay on my boat in Hawaii for 8 months, so I am going to have to leave. Going back to the west coast is an absolute last resort.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:24   #6

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi Warren,
Going back to the West Coast isn't that bad--I've done it twice after the Pac Cup on my C&C40--the second time I took her up to Seattle to cruise the PNW.
Heading to the South Pacific next Spring allows a full season to cruise before cyclone season officially starts in October.
CLady
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 10:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Hi Warren,
Going back to the West Coast isn't that bad--I've done it twice after the Pac Cup on my C&C40--the second time I took her up to Seattle to cruise the PNW.
Heading to the South Pacific next Spring allows a full season to cruise before cyclone season officially starts in October.
CLady
It isn't a last resort because of the passage. It is a last resort because I don't want to be on the west coast.

I'm really interested in hearing from potential crew. Less interested in discussing my decision to go South West instead of East.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

I'm a member of Kaneohe Yacht Club with many years experience on the Finish Line staff of both the Pac Cup and the Transpac. Now those function are all electronic so I'll be at the bar. Send me contact info and I'll try to find someone who needs the sea time. Jack
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 14:11   #9
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

Would that be about 30 days for the passage to Fiji? Unless you have a firm start or end date for the trip, it is hard to be so flexible for me; but it sounds like a grand adventure. Perhaps the Kaneohe Yacht Club will be able to get you some good crew referrals.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:49   #10

Boat: Macgregor 26

The problem is Hurricanes.. Already 6 in the Eastern Pacific this year with several reaching Cat 4 strength... They rarely make it north of 20 N Lat till after July so the Transpac races are usually safe with their July time frame... That will no doubt change as Global Warming conditions worsen... After July East Pacific Storms tend to move west at speeds of 15 to 20 kts roughly along Latitude 10 to 20 North, Some turn North of Hawaii Island and some continue South of the Islands.. The danger zone for your passage is the roughly 700 miles from the Hawaiian Islands to about 7 N Lat. Do the math... your boat will probably make about 140 miles per day in the trade winds below the Hawaiian Islands, heading South... prevailing currents, and slip to leeward will take you to the West unless you set a compensating Easterly heading that will reduce your Southerly passage making. You will be in the storm track danger zone 5 days... A hurricane or TS moving at 15 Kts will cover 300 -400 miles per day OR MORE! 1500 to 2400 nautical miles in the same 5 days you need to get to relatively safe waters. The winds at the forward Western part of a TS or Hurricane will generally be Northerly... so if you do not get well south of the storm track an encounter with the Western side of such a system will tend to force you to the West and North, deeper into the likely path of the storm. If you pick a time when there are strong Trade Winds and no storm is closer to the Islands than 1500 to 2000 nm to the East you have a reasonable chance of making a safe passage... Bring enough fuel for your engine to run for five days though... it will be very useful anywhere you go. I would head to Fanning Island/Kiribati... Christmas Island, then the Marquesas...
eaglemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemac View Post
The problem is Hurricanes.. Already 6 in the Eastern Pacific this year with several reaching Cat 4 strength... They rarely make it north of 20 N Lat till after July so the Transpac races are usually safe with their July time frame... That will no doubt change as Global Warming conditions worsen... After July East Pacific Storms tend to move west at speeds of 15 to 20 kts roughly along Latitude 10 to 20 North, Some turn North of Hawaii Island and some continue South of the Islands.. The danger zone for your passage is the roughly 700 miles from the Hawaiian Islands to about 7 N Lat. Do the math... your boat will probably make about 140 miles per day in the trade winds below the Hawaiian Islands, heading South... prevailing currents, and slip to leeward will take you to the West unless you set a compensating Easterly heading that will reduce your Southerly passage making. You will be in the storm track danger zone 5 days... A hurricane or TS moving at 15 Kts will cover 300 -400 miles per day OR MORE! 1500 to 2400 nautical miles in the same 5 days you need to get to relatively safe waters. The winds at the forward Western part of a TS or Hurricane will generally be Northerly... so if you do not get well south of the storm track an encounter with the Western side of such a system will tend to force you to the West and North, deeper into the likely path of the storm. If you pick a time when there are strong Trade Winds and no storm is closer to the Islands than 1500 to 2000 nm to the East you have a reasonable chance of making a safe passage... Bring enough fuel for your engine to run for five days though... it will be very useful anywhere you go. I would head to Fanning Island/Kiribati... Christmas Island, then the Marquesas...
Isn't it a bit early to say it shouldn't be done? I understand that I will need to plan the departure, and possibly route elsewhere.

If a NOAA advisory shows no formation of cyclones in the East Pacific for 5 days, doesn't that mean about 2 weeks safe for me to pass that 500mi "danger zone?"

I would certainly prefer not leaving in August. But I didn't pick the date of the race, and staying in Hawaii don't seem an option, unless someone here shares some secrets with me. I can't afford nearly $1000 month for a slip, and also pay for a hotel or apartment because live aboard aren't allowed. I unfortunately am going to be forced to leave, whether or not it is the ideal time.

I originally looked for a liveaboard slip thinking I could get part time work to offset the cost, but that doesn't seem to exist. One marina stated a 10 year waiting list.

I will look into your alternate route.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56   #12

Boat: Macgregor 26

I apologize for a mistake in my advice to you. I stated that on the Western side of a Hurricane between Hawaii and the Equator the winds would tend to force a boat that crossed paths with such a storm to the West and North... This is INCORRECT.. Hurricanes in the Northern Hemisphere have a wind pattern of Counterclockwise Circulation.. The winds on the Western side of such storms are Northerly, meaning they blow in a North to South direction.. Encountering such a storm system means that the winds on the Western side would tend to blow a boat to the south and west rather than north as I stated.. The mariner who has gotten his vessel to the South Wast quarter of such a storm has the opportunity to initially flee to the South and Southwest.. moving in a direction out of the path of the storm.. However, A Mariner who encounters the storm at it's North West Quarter will encounter winds that drive the vessel West, Southwest, and South, deeper into the most powerful wind and seas generated by the storm.. In the Southern Hemisphere the storm winds pattern changes to a clockwise circulation.. Understanding Weather and wind patterns is critical to survival..
eaglemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22   #13

Boat: 32 feet of love

he asked for crew folks! start a new thread to discuss routing and timing issues.
Warren, I am interested in the trip to Fiji but no time for further.
I'll send you a pm with my particulars soon.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I am sailing from San Francisco to Kaneohe in July in the Pacific Cup. While my crew is flying back home, I would like to continue cruising, and hopefully circumnavigate. This would start with an early to mid August passage to Fiji.

The boat is a Morgan 382. As part of the prep for the Pacific Cup, she is compliant with US Sailing's offshore requirements. All new standing rigging, new sails, and lots of "little things" have been upgraded or replaced. She is about as safe and prepared for Ocean Sailing as a boat can be.

As a cruiser, she has no refrigeration, no solar, no watermaker. So it won't be a luxury cruise.

I currently have one interested woman, but that isn't definite. We are both in our 40's. I'd like to have a total of 3 or 4, including myself.

Would expect to share costs of provisioning (pay for your own food) and to share in watchkeeping. It would be great if you had an interest in continuing beyond Fiji. I would rather not be looking for crew every other stop. It would also be great if you loved taking pictures, video etc., because I seem to always forget, but would like to keep the social media up to date with my whereabouts.
hello in papete for the moment
and looking for a boat to fiji
ready any moment
have a testimonial letter from the previous captan .
mstfamstfa@mynet.com
mstfamstfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji, hawaii