Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 17:57   #1

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
legacy food storage

Just curious freeze dried food www.legacyfoodstorage.com has anyone here tried it?

It seem this would be good answer to say a 100 or 200 day nonstop cruise. less room no spoilage. Any thoughts?
Old 23-06-2017, 18:17   #2

Re: legacy food storage

I've eaten a fair amount of freeze dried foods before. Pretty good stuff so long as you have water to hydrate it. The pork chops are a crowd pleaser. Not familiar with Legacy, Moutainhouse is a good source.

https://www.mountainhouse.com

I've got some Meals Rejected by Everyone on board for a rainy day. My wife never had them so one night when I asked her what she wanted me to make for dinner and she said she didn't know I busted some out. This lead to us discovering Kiwi Dude's MRE reviews on YouTube. Surprisingly entertaining. Bon appetit!

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 18:37   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have never bought commercial dried or freeze dried food that is as good as the dried food I make. I’m sure it’s OK, but I prefer to dry my own staples.

Right now we have about three months of food (meat, veg and fruit) on board. I dried it in my own dryer, and then vacuum sealed. It will last for years.

My plan (as much as I have any plans) is to buy fresh food in bulk, and then dry what I can’t immediately use. I hope to keep my re-stocking costs down this way.
Old 23-06-2017, 18:41   #4

Try making your own beef jerky once, you'll never go back to store bought!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:46   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I've eaten a fair amount of freeze dried foods before. Pretty good stuff so long as you have water to hydrate it. The pork chops are a crowd pleaser. Not familiar with Legacy, Moutainhouse is a good source.

https://www.mountainhouse.com

I've got some Meals Rejected by Everyone on board for a rainy day. My wife never had them so one night when I asked her what she wanted me to make for dinner and she said she didn't know I busted some out. This lead to us discovering Kiwi Dude's MRE reviews on YouTube. Surprisingly entertaining. Bon appetit!

+1 on Mountain House...good stuff. Used to eat a lot of it trekking and kept some aboard for emergency spares.

Used to keep MREs in my ditch bag. Once when it was stored ashore a mouse got in and nibbled off the corner of an MRE...he only ate a very small corner of it and then apparently fled the property...no more mouse problems! 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have never bought commercial dried or freeze dried food that is as good as the dried food I make. I’m sure it’s OK, but I prefer to dry my own staples.

Right now we have about three months of food (meat, veg and fruit) on board. I dried it in my own dryer, and then vacuum sealed. It will last for years.

My plan (as much as I have any plans) is to buy fresh food in bulk, and then dry what I can’t immediately use. I hope to keep my re-stocking costs down this way.
Yes home made dehydrated is good stuff too and long lived if stored properly. We dehydrate mostly fruits and sometimes a few things for the galley like tomatoes.

Dehydrated veggies like carrotts and such rehydrate quite nicely in a stew.

We also dehydrate papaya seeds and put them in a pepper mill. They make a nice spicey condiment.
Old 23-06-2017, 19:53   #7

Vaccum bagging alone is also a good way to keep things like spices...which turn to moldy funk otherwise in the tropics.
Old 23-06-2017, 21:36   #8

Boat: J/42

A few years ago, some company - Asian, I think - sent me several samples to test that were old US Army emergency water rations in tin cans. This was from several lots, over the course of a few years. I looked up the serial numbers an this stuff was canned on a contract for the Korean War. I think they were planning to sell it
Well, it didn't have any bacteria or lead in it, anyway.

That's what I thought you meant by "legacy" food...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 22:21   #9

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I ordered one of those five gallon buckets full of survivalist freeze dried food, once. And then once I had it I started doing math with all the ingredient labels.

It had a wide variety of meals, pasta with sauces and vegetables and textured vegetable protein, rice with sauces, etc., soups, bunches of different entrees.

And for breakfasts it had oatmeal and granola.

Looking at the labels, I noticed that most of the entrees didn't actually have very many calories. Looking more closely, I saw that none of the meals had very many calories. As in less than 200 for a meal.

Doing the math, it turned out that these meals provided less than 1200 calories per day, and two thirds of that was in the oatmeal and granola for breakfast.

Oatmeal and granola store well, with refrigeration or fancy packaging, and are available in bulk at a tenth of the cost of these prepared survivalist foods.

So I've never bought survivalist food since.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:27   #10
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I just threw out $20 worth of "survivalist" freeze-dried shrimp that nobody would eat. It was very expensive and truly vile. 1. try small amounts before you buy by the case. 2. Know the difference among dehydrates, freeze-dried foods and basic staples such as whole grains, dried beans, milk powder. All require different prep and some require a lot of time, fuel and water. 3. As previous post says, know the food value of what's in the container. Portions are often too small and/or nutritional value very low. A #10 can of freeze-dried cinnamon apples is about enough to make one pie but I could carry 4 cans of pie-sized canned apples in the same amount of space. lastly, don't load up on survival foods until you know exactly what your supermarket offers in shelf-staple foods. Shop every department and you'll find surprises you never noticed before. Familiar foods at everyday prices. Shameless plug for my book http://amzn.to/1WdYqbe
Old 20-07-2017, 11:51   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve just been eating some veggies (zucchini, peppers, mushrooms) and some ground beef that was dried and packaged in March 2014. Tastes as good as the day I dried it.

Tags
food, storage