Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 17:58   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Help Re: Gulf of Mexico Launching and Staying

I want to spend two weeks on the Gulf Of Mexico in late June and July of this year. I posted a few months back regarding sailing the Gulf in June / July and received a lot of support and advice. So, now I seek more detailed information.

I have spoken with Mary Walker Marina in Gautier, MS. Looks like I can get a slip there for the two weeks, and they have showers, shore power etc....

However, I launch using a tow strap and tongue wheel etc.... so need a steep concrete ramp. OR I need a marina that will launch and retrieve. Does anyone know of a ramp or a marina that could help me out?

Any other advice or suggestion would be great as well.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 19:13   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Help Re: Gulf of Mexico Launching and Staying

Any marina with a travel lift or crane can get your boat off the trailer and launch it like any other boat.

Also, welcome to the Gulf Coast. (:
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 18:29   #3

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
I want to spend two weeks on the Gulf Of Mexico in late June and July of this year. I posted a few months back regarding sailing the Gulf in June / July and received a lot of support and advice. So, now I seek more detailed information.

I have spoken with Mary Walker Marina in Gautier, MS. Looks like I can get a slip there for the two weeks, and they have showers, shore power etc....

However, I launch using a tow strap and tongue wheel etc.... so need a steep concrete ramp. OR I need a marina that will launch and retrieve. Does anyone know of a ramp or a marina that could help me out?

Any other advice or suggestion would be great as well.
Let me know when you get here and I'll give you a hand.

Did you check out any marinas in Biloxi or Gulfport? Pass Christian? Long Beach? A little more exposed but right on the Mississippi Sound as opposed to the distance to Mary Walker. I feel like the ramps in the locations I mention will be fine but can't speak from experience, except for launching a Catalina 22 with no issues.

p.s. You may want to plan a few days anchored at one of the barrier islands. Beautiful, natural scenery and you can anchor away from the multitude of powerboats that populate the islands during the weekends.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 18:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
Let me know when you get here and I'll give you a hand.

Did you check out any marinas in Biloxi or Gulfport? Pass Christian? Long Beach? A little more exposed but right on the Mississippi Sound as opposed to the distance to Mary Walker. I feel like the ramps in the locations I mention will be fine but can't speak from experience, except for launching a Catalina 22 with no issues.

p.s. You may want to plan a few days anchored at one of the barrier islands. Beautiful, natural scenery and you can anchor away from the multitude of powerboats that populate the islands during the weekends.
I have not really looked into any other marinas (save for one in Biloxi I think). I was looking at Mary Walker, because I have a family member who uses it for his fishing boat. I talked to them and they were very helpful and positive. Gave me a lot of good tips etc.... So, I am open and will check more out.

I do want to spend a few days on the hook on one of the barrier islands. Do you have any suggestions?

That is awesome of you to offer a hand, I might take you up on the offer. This will be my first time out on water that is not surrounded by land (lake sailing).
Old 25-04-2017, 18:59   #5

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
I have not really looked into any other marinas (save for one in Biloxi I think). I was looking at Mary Walker, because I have a family member who uses it for his fishing boat. I talked to them and they were very helpful and positive. Gave me a lot of good tips etc.... So, I am open and will check more out.

I do want to spend a few days on the hook on one of the barrier islands. Do you have any suggestions?

That is awesome of you to offer a hand, I might take you up on the offer. This will be my first time out on water that is not surrounded by land (lake sailing).
The Sound can be like a lake, but can bring up a storm like any other in the summer.

Horn Island is a wonderful spot to anchor and is closest to the eastern part of the Mississippi Coast. It's the largest of the islands so you can anchor in a fair amount of solitude and explore the island. Ship Island is nice and has a Civil War fort, Ft Massachusetts, on the property and is fun to explore. Cat Island is further West. I've never been there but hear it's very nice as well.

Here is an amateur web site
about the Barrier Islands. I do know that you will run into areas that will be closed due to bird nests so it's a necessity to contact the National Park Service to get best locations (and permission). I can talk to a couple of friends who go out there often. Sometimes it depends on the winds!

Keep in touch and let me know your plans as dates get closer. sailingstnick at gmail dot com
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:17   #6

Boat: Maxim 380

The Bay St Louis Municipal Harbor is probably the nicest marina on the coast and there is a back down ramp right down the street.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
The Bay St Louis Municipal Harbor is probably the nicest marina on the coast and there is a back down ramp right down the street.
Thank you, do you know how long or steep the ramp is? I am becoming concerned with finding a ramp to use with my tow strap method of launching. I have found another marina that has a travel lift, yet its kind of costly just to launch.

I have been looking into other marinas after looking at some of the charts and the above post. It appears to get to Mary Walker I will have to use the east river and the cut (no depth listed) which requires to have the RR bridge open for us each time.
Old 27-04-2017, 12:19   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Depending on size of boat, many marina's have forklifts that pick up boats.
Any reason one could not pick up a sailboat? Back when I had a Center console I would usually get the forklift to launch me, kept the trailer out of salt water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 08:13   #9

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Gulfport Municipal Marina has a ramp on the premises with trailer parking. Can't tell you the specifics of it, but the Harbor Master can:
228-867-8721
And I'm willing to bet it's a nicer place than the Bay St. Louis one.
I'm at slip 4-55 every other weekend.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 08:35   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Suggest Orange Beach AL or Pensacola
Check here for ramp conditions in Florida

https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatramp...c/default.aspx

Also check with local marinas, you will not only need place to launch but also park vehicle and trailer for extended period.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:10   #11

Gulfport does look very nice, plus does not look to be any bridges to open to get in and out of. I have also found two marinas that have travel lifts, that can set it in and take it out for me, if it comes to it.

The FL link is very interesting and is a possibility. That would make my first day a transit to whichever marina a long one. But, I could use the ICW for a section of the move.

I have only spoken with a couple of places, haven't found one with the forklift. I know what you are talking about, seen them. I am still looking might be cheaper than the travel lift.

However, I think I have a new plan in place. I will be arriving late at night, so I think I am going to drop the boat at my father's place. Then the next day take a day trip and drive and check out the marinas and ramps, then launch either that afternoon or the next day. The few marinas I have spoken with say they always have open slips, so that eases my mind some.

Anyone see an issue with securing a slip after I get there?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:46   #12

Boat: Maxim 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Gulfport Municipal Marina has a ramp on the premises with trailer parking. Can't tell you the specifics of it, but the Harbor Master can:
228-867-8721
And I'm willing to bet it's a nicer place than the Bay St. Louis one.
I'm at slip 4-55 every other weekend.
You clearly haven't been to the Bay St Louis Marina. I've been to both and BSL is way nicer.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:55   #13

Quote:
You clearly haven't been to the Bay St Louis Marina. I've been to both and BSL is way nicer.
Another point is that there are tons of restaurants and a thriving downtown adjacent to the Bay Saint Louis Harbor.

You have a heck of a walk to get to downtown Gulfport and restaurants from the Gulfport Harbor.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58   #14

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
I left BSL marina for friendlier waters......And that damn bridge!
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:02   #15

Boat: Creekmore 36

My boats in Gulfport. Lots of available slips and a good launching area. The main 3 barrier islands, Horn, Ship 7 Cat are all very reachable and at night in the marina, you won't rock & roll. Water at Cat is somewhat murky and shallow. Ship water clearer and Horn, clearer still. Farther away from the Mighty Mississippi the clearer it gets. Want to do a cruise, follow the ICW east across Mobile Bay and about a mile up the canal on the left is Lulu's. Nice Marina and restaurant. Who knows, Jimmy Buffet may be there. It's his sister's place.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico