Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 05:52   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
FL Keys to Virginia contrasted to gulf coast sailing.

First the basics.
Boat- 2005 Lagoon 440, 64ft mast, 4.5 draft, 25.5ft beam
Crew- wife and I, we have sailed this boat from Key Largo to Gulfport MS, and back. 2000ish NM so far. That and a week in Grenada learning on a similar boat is our experience. We have done overnight passages together although our preference is to rise early, sailing outside of the ICW, and anchor for the night inside an inlet. I hate traveling inside. Massive Boat wakes, and narrow channels still give me nightmares from our travels going from Boca Grande to Fort Myers Florida. (The miserable mile is aptly named!) Outside is our preferred method is to sail 2 miles to 5 miles offshore in the Gulf has been 95% of our sailing. We have ventured 60 off shore crossing the corner of Florida. We anchor 98% of the time and avoid marinas exacpt when absolutely needed.

Im looking for any tips or contrasts from Gulf of Mexico coastal sailing to east coast sailing.
Going up the east coast I understand that the gulf stream current is not to be triffled with when facing any wind with a northly component of 15kts or more.

I guess my main question will show my inexperience....

Is staying 2-3 miles off shore on our way up the east coast as doable as the gulf coast of Florida, Alabama and Mississippi? Any concerns that the gulf coast didnt have? other than our inexperience of course.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 06:18   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: FL Keys to Virginia contrasted to gulf coast sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post

Is staying 2-3 miles off shore on our way up the east coast as doable as the gulf coast of Florida, Alabama and Mississippi? Any concerns that the gulf coast didnt have? other than our inexperience of course.
It isn't in a lot of places due to the shoals etc and the capes to get around (once past florida). But you also cut across a lot more if you aren't doing the ditch because it isn't as straight as west florida

One thing to quickly learn" don't go into/out of the inlets with the wind and current opposed!
Old 18-05-2019, 07:11   #3

Boat: Passport 40

My only thought would be to identify which are the bigger and less prone to ripping current inlets in that northern trip. I don't know about the gulf side, but the eastern seaboard of the US provides several inlets, but few that can be transited in worsening conditions, specially with a big boat like a cat. I would just research Class A inlets and have those at the top of my list and there's more you can use, but you need to have more information on conditions, tides, etc. Most ICW guidebooks talk very little if anything about inlets. They assume one will just go on the inside.

I haven't used it, but apparently the bible on that subject seems to be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 08:24   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There is a pretty good current in SW Florida as the gulf stream whips around Florida but the GOM usually doesn't have waves like the other side so it's not a big deal.

Also inlets are almost non-existent in the big bend area of Florida and it can be real shallow in spots miles from shore. Most of the shore is low and marshy. Making that stretch in daylight might be iffy. You might want to straight line it from near Tarpon Springs up to Cardabelle.
Old 18-05-2019, 09:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Well, I've done both. You are by default offshore from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs, because there is no ICW. Best bet is Carrabelle to Clearwater, Clearwater to Key West, unless both draft and mast will let you through the Keys farther north. Follow your plan up the east coast of Florida out of the Gulf Stream that close to shore, or go farther out and ride that sucker. You've got plenty of boat for it, and there are 29 lift bridges between Miami and Lake Worth alone. The Georgia-South Carolina stretch has numerous deep water inlets, largely without bridges. Otherwise, cut the corner just like you did in Florida, up to Wilmington. Consider coming into the sound at Wilmington or Beaufort (NC), because you don't want to cut close to Cape Hatteras on the outside and the sound is pretty sailing. Consider doing the same up the Chesapeake, inside Nag's Head to Norfolk, and then to Annapolis. Again, the wind from the Atlantic without the wave. God, I wish I were doing it right now.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 11:18   #6

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Sailorboy1- I learned that lesson the hard way leaving Pensacola with an outgoing tide and an incoming wind. I will never forget to check that again!

gaucho great tip on the Class A inlets!

Sand Crab. Heading East we left Tarpon Springs and aimed for 20 miles off the corner of Port Saint Joe and followed the coast line around to Gulf Port MS. Coming back we left Pensacola and headed a straight line to Tampa Bay because every forcast model showed perfect conditions. Now Im researching going up the East Coast.

tkeithlu We have went under a couple 65 ft bridges (scary, are the heights accurate? Is our mast really 64. Ahhhhhh! ) and higher but I have yet to transit a draw bridge. I know I will have to eventually but the thought of dealing with currents, winds other boaters and a draw bridge at the same time gives me a pucker factor of 10/10.

Some really good points made by this group. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:40   #7

Bridge operators are wonderful at helping you get through the drawbridges.
Mommasails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 13:56   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
SNIP

The two areas are very different. On the West Coast it is common to be 2-3, or even 5, miles off shore and be in 30 feet of water where you can anchor with little worry. On the East Coast you will normally be in much deeper water much more quickly. You will also not be able to anchor with out worrying. There is also a lot more commercial traffic on the East Coast. While you may see tankers and cargo ships around Tampa you will see them all up the East coast.

Another consideration is the prevailing wind is out of the East which means on the West Coast if your anchor drags you will be headed to deeper water; just the opposite on the East Coast you will be blowing on to the beach.

It is much easier sailing on the West Coast of Florida than the East Coast. My advice would be to duck in Biscayne Bay and then sail up as far past Ft. Lauderdale as you can do comfortably on a day sail; duck back in to the ICW for the night and then head up to maybe around Jacksonville on the ICW. Can't say much about North of Jax except to say day sailing on the outside and ducking back in at night would be my choice all the way up. Exception would be at Cape Hatteras depending on the weather. Not to mention you are getting into hurricane season and currently there is a possible/probable tropical disturbance currently brewing in the Atlantic. What ever you do be aware of the weather.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:14   #9

Boat: KP 46

The easiest and simplest would be to depart alligator reef, pick up the stream and lay the sea bouy off Beaufort. Staying a few miles offshore makes no sense at all. Far more dangerous to be near shore than to be off shore. Relax and enjoy the ride north.

Just watch the weather and enjoy the trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 03:50   #10

Although new to this forum, and really new to sailing except for Hobie's, I have ran these East Coast inlets hundreds of times in power boats ranging from a 17 foot Sundance skiff, a 215 Sea Hunt Walk Around (which we routinely fished out to 50-60 miles off shore, to my old 26 Pacemaker sportfish, and my home on the water "trippin daisy". She was a 33 Chris Craft COHO which kept our family in comfort for several years. Now to the point......I learned about inlets from a very wise old (young @ 40) but experienced fisherman. The first inlet I ran was Lockwood Folly River Inlet at Holden Beach North Carolina. Lesson #1: This Inlet will kill you! Lesson #2: Refer to lesson #1...............

Many of our East coast Inlets are tricky to say the least. In my local area we have two you should use if possible every time, and a third that will suffice. All have immediate places to anchor out as soon as you get through the inlet. Two of these are like driveways ie rock jetty's all the way in...... great in all but the nastiest of weather. From the South, take a look at Little River Inlet in South Carolina close to the border of NC, as it provides easy in/out, anchor out near Bird Island, or take the river up into Calabash NC for some of the best seafood anywhere. The next one up for us is always the Cape Fear River Inlet. Big, wide and deep, with anchorages just around the corner at the Wildlife Ramp. Enough for a dozen or more boats. Southport has great food as well a two hundred yard dingy ride away. Its best to come in here as the Frying Pan Shoals stretch out for close to 30 miles out to the Tower, and no sense in doing that when the Cape Fear is a shipping lane, just run the river down to the Snow's Cut area, which takes you off the main river and on the ICW with no bridges to deal with. There is anchorage in Carolina beach, or rent a ball, or just turn left and about a dozen more miles up the ICW you are at Wrightsville Beach (lots of anchorage spots here and beautiful), another great inlet with rock jetty's all the way out to open water (the Shoals are behind you now) you can then stay within sight of land if you wish up to Beaufort NC, which is a popular stop as well, though their inlet can be a booger.

Let me say this, a lot of these inlets have shifting sand, and thats normal. Call for "Local Knowledge" as you approach. I have even sat still for a few and watch the ins and outs of the locals as they come and go. These inlets are busy enough that you can do this every time. Folks are friendly, and if you ask usually you can get a lead boat to run you through. You simply can not ever beat local knowledge. The Charleston, SC area is also a great stop over, and that will cover you from lower SC to the upper reaches of NC safely.

And never forget Rule #1. With the size of your boat, a little planning, a little local knowledge, and its all smooth sailing in the Carolina's!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 05:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
FL Keys to Virginia contrasted to gulf coast sailing.

Atlantic Ocean sailing is much smoother. The waves are better formed, evenly spaced and a fairly uniform direction. When I do a Tampa- Ft Laud, etc- run turning the corner at KW is a pleasure.

Don’t be afraid of the GS just respect it, like you stated if winds are N- get out. Usually along the 100 foot in to the 10 fathom line is clear. But you will still get nice rollers.

Chose your inlets! Avoid Boca! Without local experience Hillsboro and Jupiter are gnarly.

From there it is fairly straight forward. Active Captain and Waterway Guide have good data. You will need Navionics for charts into St Augustine.

Finally, and obviously, choose your weather carefully going around Hatteras. Even in good weather it is bumpy.

On edit—- 64’ mast does that include antennas? Or are they removed by 65’ bridges?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 05:44   #12

Boat: S2 35C

Advice on the river mouths and big shoals is right on. Don't think I saw anything on the Gulfstream in an extended northerly. Brutal. When the VOR did it's layover in Annapolis a few years back they had no choice and complained bitterly. Compared it to driving off concrete ledges. Tuck in somewhere until the wind clocks.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast, sail, sailing