Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 09:08   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
SHIP TO EUROPE FROM Carib OR Florida

I will need to move my boat from Panama to Europe early 2020. I am likely to sail her as far as either the Caribbean or Florida, and I'm interested in forum members suggestions on who to use to ship her onwards to Europe.

She's not a big boat, nor hugely valuable either. 37ft Tayana, weighing 25-30k lbs. I'm very flexible on dates.

Thanks in advance!
Eamonn
SV Simple Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 10:13   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: SHIP TO EUROPE FROM Carib OR Florida

Be prepared for some shipping sticker shock. It could easily be 50% of the value of the boat. Try seven seas and dockwise for quotes.
Old 30-04-2019, 10:18   #3

Whatever you figure out, please post it here.

This is an interesting topic for some of us.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 18:31   #4

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

We are in the midst of a move by Peters and May from the Caribbean to the UK. So far, so good - uplift is in about 2 weeks!

Quotes we got indicate that ending in northern Europe or UK is generally a cheaper move than Spain or the rest of the Med. Our quotes ranged from US$17k to US$30k. One of the companies shared their formula which essentially is a pretty flat rate based on volume/area. However, given the discrepency in quoted prices each company must be doing their own thing!

However, we're an entirely different boat to you - 50' power cat (no mast, sits on her own bottom without support, draft of 1.1m, 4.9m beam, and much longer!).
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59   #5

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I do know of one person who did this and it seemed to work quite well. Cheapest option seems to be to go deck cargo on a container ship. Mast down obviously. The critical factors seam to be that you need to be on a regular container route. So for example Aruba to Holland (which is where the boat I now went). Possible alternative would be Martinique to France. Loading and unloading is a major part of the cost so you need to avoid any route where your boat has to change ships. Good start would be to look for a container port near where you want to leave from as see where there regular trad routes go. Then talk to the port and see what the crane fees for loading are likely to be. You will also need a local shipping agent.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:53   #6

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Why not sail her to Europe, if you don't have the time you can hire a captain and crew for less $$ than shipping. Tayanas are capable boats, with the right weather window it should be a nice passage
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:59   #7

Boat: Beneteau first 26

It will be safer and cheaper to sail her, I have heard of a lot of accidents with boats loaded as cargo ...
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 16:39   #8

Boat: CORESOUND 17

I have offen wondered what it would cost to hire a captain and crew to sail a 27-30 ft boat to the med or England. Have no idea of whatthe cost would be
thanks
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 16:56   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A friend of mine is well into this same relocation now. He has done it in legs (sailing), with different crew at diff times, and is on the leg to NYC right now (should arrive in the AM). I fly in soon to join the boat there to head across the pond.

All done sailing with volunteer crew, but the cost still adds up. If you include the preparation and logistics costs it could easily meet or exceed shipping costs depending on how the boat is outfitted.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 22:01   #10

Boat: X-yacht; Xp38

The previous comments all have merit. I have a Xp38 coming from the Danish Yard (X-Yachts) to New Zealand. Am using Sevenstar Yacht Transport, where they hoist the yachts on board with their own cranes. The currently have 27x !! vessels transporting yachts around the world. Mast stays on. They sit on adjustable cradles and get then strapped down. just google sevenstar and have a look. My cost approx. US$32k.
expatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 22:22   #11

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

Being as my boat cannot cross oceans this has been an area of research for me.

From Port Everglades to Italy I was quoted approx $40,000 USD for my 53’ OAL X 15’ motor boat. on DYT yacht transport.

That may sound like a Huge amount of money and it is, but as a once or twice in a lifetime thing, it is very interesting!
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 23:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
I have offen wondered what it would cost to hire a captain and crew to sail a 27-30 ft boat to the med or England. Have no idea of whatthe cost would be
thanks
You will get quotes that are all over the board...some being ridiculously cheap. If you go cheap (or even if not), make sure to triple check insurance requirements and who is responsible for damages, delays, fuel, etc...
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 00:08   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
thanks
Perhaps you wouldn't even pay.

Looking on sites like Crewbay, there are loads of people many with quals and masses of sea miles looking to crew on boats for free. Perhaps you'd get lucky and find someone willing to take the boat the across just for the pure fun of it.

One benefit is that since they aren't operating in a professional capacity, your insurance would still be valid for them.

One drawback, is that since they aren't operating in a professional capacity, they won't have their own insurance.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

Looking on sites like Crewbay, there are loads of people many with quals and masses of sea miles looking to crew on boats for free. Perhaps you'd get lucky and find someone willing to take the boat the across just for the pure fun of it.

One benefit is that since they aren't operating in a professional capacity, your insurance would still be valid for them.

One drawback, is that since they aren't operating in a professional capacity, they won't have their own insurance.
Should be able to get a delivery skipper to sail her for around $12k all in, may be a little less, maybe a little more, It's a 6 week job, plus expenses like flights, fuel, breakages etc.

Make sure you get someone with his own liability insurance

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
And perhaps you will get what you pay for....

While there are ways to manage costs, if you start getting extreme, you better hope there are no hiccups.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, florida, rib, rope