Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 11:49   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

@goboatingnow There are cost diffs between boats of similar length too, are there knot?

I assume the new 38 is a means to introduce a modular boat that will answer multiple needs and therefore reduce production / marketing costs.

I'd like to get opinions on the new Jeanneau 349 and the slightly older (now) 379.

ps. i do like the hard chines.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 15:23   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@goboatingnow There are cost diffs between boats of similar length too, are there knot?

I assume the new 38 is a means to introduce a modular boat that will answer multiple needs and therefore reduce production / marketing costs.

I'd like to get opinions on the new Jeanneau 349 and the slightly older (now) 379.

Yes over the years Beneteau seems to have built a bewildering array of boats, often boats that appear next in line size wise are built with a totally different philosophy in mind.

The 38 is clearly aimed at the weekend warrior but likes a bit of aggressive club racing. Hence You have have a striped out version or all all tricked out version.

Its also a very popular and competitive size , so offering interior options appeals to people looking for a custom touch thats not available typically in this size.

big difference between the Jean 349 and the 38, whats your intended use.

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 15:27   #18
cruiser

Im impressed with the 349 and 379 twin rudders, chine, shallow draft (dryable) PLUS the price point which I think is reasonable. I think either would be a nice mid range long distance cruiser.
Old 24-03-2014, 15:37   #19
Nearly an old salt

anyone sailed the new 349, she looks big for her size, beamy aft, so I can see the need for those rudders. funny how the 379 is a lift keel and the 349 isn't ?

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 17:24   #20
cruiser

349 has lift keel, just not in spec online.
Old 24-03-2014, 17:27   #21
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
349 has lift keel, just not in spec online.

That's makes sense then

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-03-2014, 17:36   #22

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Purely anecdotal, bigpuff as they are built in the same factory. The only thing different is the design team.
and even if that was the only difference (and I don't think so) do you think it is a small thing? I agree that the quality is not very different but they are very different boats, I mean if we take for instance the 40fts, the 41 and the 409 and I am not talking about the interior (that is also different) but about the sail performance. Two nice boats but also two different ones.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 17:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
anyone sailed the new 349, she looks big for her size, beamy aft, so I can see the need for those rudders. funny how the 379 is a lift keel and the 349 isn't ?

dave
In fact the boat has a revolutionary low draft keel for a production boat, the same type that it is used on the Pogos and other performance boats, a swing keel that allows it probably a slightly better performance than with the standard deep draft keel. They also showed a fixed swallow wing/torpedo keel but I don't know if they are maintaining the three.

On my blog there are photos and a mention to a German test sail. They were impressed with the boat that performed very well.
Old 26-03-2014, 05:45   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Great blog Polux, quite a resource.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Great blog Polux, quite a resource.
Thanks. I hope it will be in time. Now it is just a baby
Old 26-03-2014, 19:19   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Quote:

I have a 2013 SO 379. It has been a stellar boat. I have the dual rudder, shoal draft version. I find that even with my handicapped, in mast furling main, it is no problem to get up to 7 to 8 knots in our typical 10-15kt winds. I can get up into the 8 to 9kt range when the winds get into the 20s and I've even seen 11kts for a short time (but that was almost out of control and I wouldn't call the 379 an 11 knot boat). It also points quite well although I bet I could get a few more degrees if I had the deep version. Like many of the Jeanneau models there's a certain sportiness inherent in the brand that you don't find in other Benetau Group boats. One area of contention for me, again likely related to the in mast main, is that the light air performance suffers a bit. But that can be fixed with some light air headsail options.

The twin rudders can be a bit scary at times. They bite into the water quite hard and, even when significantly overpressed with sail, the boat does not even have a hint of wanting to round up. I have been nearly knocked down in big puffs on a broad reach simply because there's always one rudder fully submerged.

Build quality is good for the class of boat. You obviously aren't buying an Oyster but for a mass production boat you do get a decent amount of craftsmanship for your money, all in the sort of modern euro styling. I don't have any gripes, nothing has fallen apart or failed on me in right off the bat. In fact my only real warranty issue is an infamous leaky back flow preventer valve in the Jabsco toilet pump, and that's not a Jeanneau craftsmanship issue.

So all in all, considering the price point, I feel like the 379 has been a pretty good value for me. I tend to be a bit of a sailing enthusiast rather than a pure cruiser so the inherent sport in the boat's design has lead to me having a great experience so far.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 19:39   #27
cruiser

@Garrettw thanks for your very honest and well written review. Best thing I read so far on this boat that tells me how she sails and handles the wind.
Old 26-03-2014, 20:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
I have a 2013 SO 379. ...when the winds get into the 20s and I've even seen 11kts for a short time (but that was almost out of control and I wouldn't call the 379 an 11 knot boat). ..Like many of the Jeanneau models there's a certain sportiness inherent in the brand that you don't find in other Benetau Group boats. ..
I am pretty sure the 379 has a slightly better performance than the oceanis 38 in light winds and it is possible that upwind it has a slight advantage but when the wind build up on a beam reach and downwind the Oceanis 38 will be faster. On the test sails the boat has been able to reach two digit speeds downwind in full control.

Regarding the sportiness of the jeanneaus that you don't find on the boats from the Beneteau group I guess you are forgetting the First series, the sportive performance cruisers from the Beneteau group.

Old 26-03-2014, 21:23   #29
cruiser

Nay. Unfair. You should compare it to the beneteau oceanis 37

Let's go to the polars
Old 27-03-2014, 07:32   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am pretty sure the 379 has a slightly better performance than the oceanis 38 in light winds and it is possible that upwind it has a slight advantage but when the wind build up on a beam reach and downwind the Oceanis 38 will be faster. On the test sails the boat has been able to reach two digit speeds downwind in full control.

Regarding the sportiness of the jeanneaus that you don't find on the boats from the Beneteau group I guess you are forgetting the First series, the sportive performance cruisers from the Beneteau group.
I guess you'd have to look at the polars to see overall performance differences but for the Oceanis 38 specifically, they do share a lot of the same design features and the 38 is longer by a couple of feet. So I would think the 38 could have the potential to be faster in some areas, like you say. The 379 will do similar speeds in 25kts of wind like in the video you posted, but you do have to be on top of your game if you are using the factory sail plan. I do think that Group Benetau isn't being particularly aggressive about branding and, as such, we are sort of seeing a melding in the past year or two of ideas and innovations from both production lines (Benetau and Jeanneau). I guess in the future we will only have the Jeanneatau brand to choose from.

And touche on the venerable First series but that's a bit out of class with the Sun Odyssey right? I would think one should compare those to the Sun Fast series.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau