Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 00:22   #1

TEXAS Anyone????

I am trying to see if there is anyone in the Kemah Texas area that might be around home at the end of this month, July 2016. I am going to make the trip to see and transfer the slip on our new-to-us sailboat. Also wanted to talk to a few folks in that area to find out where the best marina and prices for slips were. The boat is at the Watergate Yachting Center at this time and the slip rent is kinda high but it seems to be a nice place with newer slips. Anyway if there is anyone that has vast knowledge or more than me of what to look for on a old sailboat, as in problem areas I could use a good set of eyes to help me out. I could repay you with some drinks and a good super or lunch. Just let me know and thanks!!!

Also if you come take a look, no small dinghy jokes!! LOL
it is only a 25ft sailboat.
Fatbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 06:11   #2

Boat: IP 40
Re: TEXAS Anyone????

Watergate is a fairly nice marina, though not quite as protected as I'd like. We're right across the street at Waterford harbor marina. We chose waterford because of the fact that the boats that where there for Ike did much better than pretty much any marina in the area. That being said, watergate has all new docks now due to the fixed docks being wiped out by Ike, so I would expect they'd fair better next time around.

When we shopped around 2 years ago everyone was fairly close in price, with Seabrooke being the cheapest in the clearlake area. We opted for slightly higher cost and better protection but if you're local this might not be as big a factor, since it's easier to get down and make adjustments.

From a facilities perspective, both waterford and watergate are nice. I have no first hand experience with any of the others, other than boat shopping. I can say that the Kemah marina is one that I personally would avoid just due to the craziness of the weekends. It can be very tough getting in and out of that area on the weekend.

HTH

-EB
Old 19-07-2016, 06:35   #3

Boat: Com-Pac 27

No dinghy jokes here! 27 footer in Watergate . My first sailboat as of the first if the year. We looked at all the marinas in the area (except Kemah) and although it's higher we liked both Watergate and Waterford. Southshore was cheaper, but a longer run to the bay. Del Sol was shallow and looked like there was no upkeep. Legend point had tiny finger piers that I didn't care for. Seabrook was on my list to stay, but I left the final decision to the wife. I'm happy with it too.
jmiller148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:10   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I'm at Seabrook Marina and like it. Now depending on what you draft on a 25' you can go very cheap given all the little marinas in the area however draft is the deciding factor.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:23   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I have been at Seabrook Marina for almost 20 years, on my second boat here, my previous boat rode through Hurricane Ike with no damage. I like the Marina fine and it is close by and easier for me to get to. Waterford and Watergate do have nice amenities but they are a bit further from the bay. I agree with the comments about the Kemah Boardwalk Marina, it is nice but getting there on a weekend can be slow given the traffic in that area. Wherever you decide to stay I recommend floating docks, fixed docks can be a bit of a problem when a Norther blows the water out of the bay, the level can drop quite a bit at times.
Old 30-08-2016, 13:59   #6

We are at kemah boardwalk we like it there, well protected but noisemakers from the boardwalk are annoying at first but we don't here them now just background noise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jeepgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:40   #7

Boat: Westsail28

Why stay in Clear Lake. Better sailing conditions down the coast. Cleaner water, more relaxed. Rockport, Port Aransas, Corpus Christi all have nice marinas.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 14:17   #8

We're checking into corpus christi municipal now it's a little further from us but a little cheaper

Old 31-08-2016, 15:11   #9

Boat: Westsail28

Harvest Moon Regatta, an over night sprint down the Texas Coast, is scheduled for the 3rd weekend in October . Draws 200 or so boats. Most of the partying takes place in Port Aransas. Might be a good time to check out area marinas.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 19:08   #10

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I'm in Corpus Christi Muni Marina. Regular patrols on foot and by boat. I'm in the newest section with concrete floating docks. With electric and dock fees for a 40' slip it's just under $400.
We like it very much. And West Marine is only 15 mins, H.E.B. is 10 mins and the liqour store and Home Depot are 10 mins as well. It's VERY quiet.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 19:59   #11

Good to know on the liquor store lol

Old 02-09-2016, 21:34   #12

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgodd View Post
Good to know on the liquor store lol

Priorities mate. Gotta keep everything in perspective
Old 03-09-2016, 05:25   #13

Me and my wife are gonna be there on the 23rd we would like to talk to you about the marina and will buy you a beer

Old 03-09-2016, 06:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgodd View Post
Me and my wife are gonna be there on the 23rd we would like to talk to you about the marina and will buy you a beer

P.M. me and i'll give you my number. I can send you some pics and vids of the new dock. The attached pic is our first slip which was 50'. We've since moved over to the new area and are in T36. We like it very much.
We've been at CCMM exactly a year, after bringing the boat over from Pensacola end of Aug 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	130524  

Tags
texas