Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 19:09   #1

Scuba Diving Wrecks

If this is in the wrong forum move it please. Is there a site that lists wrecks that are shallow enough for snorkel gear or basic scuba divers? I'm Scuba certified but haven't been in a while. When/If i sail the caribbean I would like to be able to dive some wrecks while I'm there. The list Im looking for will show where the sites are along with the rules regulating the wrecks ( can you take artifacts or just for diving and photography only) as well as the depts.

Thanks again
donkey_jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 20:46   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
re: Scuba Diving Wrecks

Use Google Earth. In the layers, go to the ocean tab and expand it, then down to the ocean sports tab, expand it, and select dive spots. Now you can see what's available around you or where your going.
Old 27-05-2015, 21:03   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

Nearly all wreck sites in the Caribbean are located in underwater parks where taking anything from the water is illegal. Even if you dive a wreck that is not in a protected preserve it is bad form to take things from wrecks. If everybody did it there would be nothing interesting left in a few months. The diver's creed; "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" is a good one.

Invest in a GoPro or similar small camera and you can get some great video and stills. The underwater housings for GoPros are good to more depth than most free divers can take. They also make waterproof "selfie sticks" that make it easy to shoot video under ledges and in crevices that most cameras can't reach.

Be safe and have fun!
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 21:53   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Great tip about Google Earth!!

Regardless of the rules, which are rarely enforced, ethical divers don't take artifacts or cause damage to natural reefs by taking shells, etc. Please take pictures/video only when you've learned proper buoyancy or there will be nothing left for the rest of us to enjoy in the future.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 04:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Scuba Diving Wrecks

I don't think you'll find any wrecks for free diving.
The shallowest Caribbean wreck I’m aware of, is the "SS Pedernales", in Aruba. She lies in about 25 Ft of water.
Most other Caribbean wrecks are in about 100 Ft of water.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 04:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Be careful if you chose to penetrate wrecks, especially the few real wrecks out there.
Most "wrecks" are artificial reefs intentionally sunk and are quite a bit safer for penetration, but still hazardous.
If you chose to do penetration, I'd recommend cave training. North Fl is pretty much the world's center for cave diving, and as such there are numerous shops that conduct excellent training.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 04:56   #7

A64 is 100% on the money
Special Training and Practice are needed anytime straight up is not Out
Disorientation and Vertigo happen easily in confined dark spaces.
I've been Advanced Open Water certified (PADI) for almost 40 years
and have done a reasonable amount of cave dives and a few wreck dives
And it still freaks me out a bit. I prefer to be where the surface is
straight above me.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:19   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't think you'll find any wrecks for free diving.
The shallowest Caribbean wreck I’m aware of, is the "SS Pedernales", in Aruba. She lies in about 25 Ft of water.
Most other Caribbean wrecks are in about 100 Ft of water.

One of my favorites

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:31   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

The stern section of HMS Rhone is in shallow water and some parts are accessible to snorkelers. The main part is in 60-80 ft. But the water is clear enough most days that you can see a lot from the surface.

There are some good places to snorkel in BVI. Over by Jost Van Dyke there are sandy spits with lots of critters and corals. Down in Virgin Gorda sound there are some protected waters worth snorkeling. Most major islands with dive infrastructure have published dive guide books. A lot of those also have online dive site listings.

When you get to an island that has diving stop in at a local dive shop. They usually have a sketch of the dive sites on the wall. Ask them about the regulations on diving. Usually they will be happy to tell you what you are allowed to do on your own. Many will rent tanks to you for a few days. This is much easier and less expensive than trying to build your own compressor on board. If you have tanks of your own that are within hydro and VIP dates some shops will fill them but some won't as a matter of policy. They have too much at risk for little reward. Unknown tanks can explode and cause a lot of grief so some shops just have a rule not to fill private tanks. So don't be offended if they won't fill your 1990 Luxfer 80 cf cylinder.

If you haven't been diving in a while take a refresher course at a shop on some island or south Florida. If you plan to dive with just your crew at least 2 of the crew should be recently trained in emergency first aid. The recommendations from 20 years ago about diver rescue techniques and CPR have changed a lot in recent years.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:52   #10

Agreed on the taking photos only. Thanks for all the tips. I'm one thats abides by the rules and will not do anything to lessen the quality of a dive site used by the public. A refresher course is a must! Its been a while.
donkey_jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 12:45   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
This is one of my favorite videos of all time and there's always time for a repeat viewing And having watched someone almost drown on the Vandenburg after a dive there, I am in awe of the depths these free divers will go (though they had air support nearby on this shoot).
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:32   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Any places I've gone to in the Caribbean, I've needed tanks anyways. The local dive shops have the best info on local wrecks and best dive sited in the area, and season. Sharks, whales ect. A six pack of beer goes a long ways towards less known sites too.
I would definitely recommend a go pro or equivalent. I bought a cheap knock off that was on clearance for $80 new and it works great.
Remember everyone has more fun when nobody gets hurt. Safety first.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 21:13   #13
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

We've been diving all over South Florida, the Bahamas and Caribbean (scuba and free diving) and we have found that there are some really great spots that can be good for the advanced snorkeler or beginner scuba diver both. We've always used Navionics to find dive spots. The latest app update has the wrecks and reefs marked and named now so it's even easier than it was in the past to find great spots at just the right depth.
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, diving, scuba