Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 10:10   #1

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Hunter 25 VS Catalina 25

I've got a 1978 Hunter 25 a decent lake cruiser, however I purchased it site unseen. I was under the impression anybody under 5.10 could stand tall inside the cabin.

Doesn't appear to be the case. Does a Catalina 25 cabin have the ability to stand up inside the cabin.? 5.10 or better in inside height.

Which boat is actually a better boat, and why. I'm happy with the Hunter, the keel was bobbed for shallow lake sailing, which is the case with my local lake.

The purposes of this boat is cruising up lake and overnighting in relative comfort.

I'm into this boat "Hunter" for roughly 3k. And she is in very very good condition. I'm just wondering if a catalina or other model in the 25/27 foot length would fit my needs better.

I can gift this boat to the kids, if I find the exact boat I want.

Must be able to,stand in the boat, have a keel depth of under 4 ft. Under 5 k, trailer-able with a trailer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:15   #2

Re: Hunter 25 VS Catalina 25

The Catalina 25 has a pop top. You can stand down below when it is raised, not when it isn't.

https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27...ina-25-review/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:31   #3

There is usually a huge difference between 25 and 27 in all makes. Having owned both I'd have to say 27 is the next level up in most respects. If you can find a shallow draft 27 in good shape for under $5K (in good shape are the key words as most of that vintage are under $5K anyway) go for it. My first ever boat was USYachts27 and despite the company's affiliation with Bayliner it was a very well built robust and capable sailor. I had the shallow draft version which sailed nonetheless pretty good with little or no leeway. And the headroom was around 5'11"-6', not bad for a 27 footer.

My 25' was O'day, also a good boat but mine had no diesel, just the outboard and since I'm not the outboard happy person I sold it even though it was in great shape for 1979. Another major negative was the head room - only 5'6". But the boat was in such a great shape I'd be willing to live with it had it had a diesel.

On older boats the size/comfort ratios jump significantly every 2-3 feet or thereabout going like a staircase rather than a continuous ramp. So a 25 is usually (but not always) in the same league with 23-26 footers while 27s can often compete in room with 29s and sometimes even with 30s (as was the case for my 27). Then next step is 29-32, 33-35, etc. A lot of times a well designed boat will feel a step size larger inside and a more traditional type will feel cramped even when compared to its smaller competitors.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
There is usually a huge difference between 25 and 27 in all makes. Having owned both I'd have to say 27 is the next level up in most respects. ............................
Interestingly enough, and you're right --- usually sometimes doesn't work --- the interiors of a C25 and C27 are almost remarkably identical. Why? 'Cuz the aft end of the C27, as originally designed, was for a motor well in the aft two feet. Strange, but true.

Otherwise, yes, adding two feet usually results in a much bigger boat, because in those size ranges, when adding small amounts of length, the result is a two or three or more-fold increase in volume.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Interestingly enough, and you're right --- usually sometimes doesn't work --- the interiors of a C25 and C27 are almost remarkably identical. Why? 'Cuz the aft end of the C27, as originally designed, was for a motor well in the aft two feet. Strange, but true.

Otherwise, yes, adding two feet usually results in a much bigger boat, because in those size ranges, when adding small amounts of length, the result is a two or three or more-fold increase in volume.
I noticed this years ago when I started with club sailing. And later on when going boat hunting for my first boat I considered anything from 22 to about 30. One funky and unusual model I considered but not gotten (and later regretted not getting it) was an early 70s Soverel 28. Inch thick solid fiberglass, including the deck. It had a huge cockpit with 14' long seats and as a result a tiny cabin below - just a v-berth really with head and a galley to sides and 2 dark long quaterberths aft.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 20:43   #6

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Thanks for your input. Not interested in a pop top, so the Catalina likely isn't for me. My Hunter is a great boat, clean solid. The previous owner passed, he had done some interesting interior mods. The kitchenette where the hatch is, was cut out, and a set of stairs was plumbed in. Looks off, however this mod opens up storage under the cockpit deck. I'm thinking that opening may be able to house a small refer.

The stoves still in place along with the limited cabinet space. I'll use produce hammocks, for limited cruising food storage.

I need to redo the vee birth padding, would like to put a six inch thick firm foam, and have it re covered. A stereo. And the table needs to be re installed.

The gentleman did a nice job. I just need to,figure out how I want to re outfit the cabin. For comfort. I've got a dodger and a Bimini for the boat I picked up cheap.

The boat has a almost new Merc 9.9 4 stroke, and a decent complement of sails. the keel has been shortened for our shallow lake. I forget the existing length.

Sheesh, after reading my post, I guess I'm actually pretty happy with this boat, for lake cruising.

Thanks again for the input.

DW
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter