Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 16:07   #16

Boat: Soon to be Lagoon 400S2
Re: Just bought our retirement home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
NOOB question here - Are ASA (and/or other) certifications required for insuring via US insurance companies, or insurance from any company in the world ?
Short answer: Any

Long answer, explanations, and solutions:

Any Insurance company will want you to be able to prove you have the ability to captain a larger Catamaran. The ASA program is the best way to have documentation to prove you are capable.
You can do bareboat charters, NauticEd has a program, and a documented resume to the charter company. On your first bareboat charter, you'll have to hire a captain to go out and check you out, usually a few hours. If they sign you off, you drop him back at the base, and you are captain the rest of the charter. Once you have several bareboat charters in you resume, the insurance companies may except that experience, not requiring the ASA certifications, but may still want a hire captain to check you off when you take possession of your boat.

Another option is when you take possession of you Catamaran, the insurance company will want a license captain approved by them, to sail with you and check of a form issued by them. Usually you can hire a local captain from one of the local charter outfits. Once the hired captain signs you off, you submit the signed off form. The insurance will approve you as captain and you are on your own. Even to do this way, I would do a charter catamaran training class, mine was a two day class, gets you a Charter Catamaran Certificate. Then when you go with the hired captain the first time on your boat, you have a clue, and may only have to hire the captain for a day or two.

There are even charter vacations that will cover several of the intermediate and upper level ASA certifications. We have one in our local area, go out on a Catamaran for 5 days, I think, and you get the ASA certifications during the 5 day trip. Taking the ASA programs are less money then done the charters.

The charter method gets you experience, gives you and idea on what it's like living on a boat, what size and amenities you would like in your boat. Helps you decide if its actually for you versus, a fantasy you have on cruising.

Best of luck!
69Datsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:25   #17

is that the same requirement for all insurance companies ? Ie those based in Australia, UK, France, Spain, (Euro), South America, Asia etc etc etc?
Or does each country have different requirements?
Or does each company have different requirements ?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 13:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
is that the same requirement for all insurance companies ? Ie those based in Australia, UK, France, Spain, (Euro), South America, Asia etc etc etc?
Or does each country have different requirements?
Or does each company have different requirements ?
I have an International insurance company, I'm from California, vessel home will be port stateside, but purchased in the Med, and cruising the Med. So, I need international coverage, with an international company. Going with my experience, not an expert or agent, requirements are the same for "international" coverage with international insurance companies. Most, if not all, you'll need a resume or some kind of documentation, proving you can safely operate the vessel you will be owning. The ICC is required to meet EU law for operating a vessel in the EU.

I know regional insurance, local insurance, no international sailing area, would be base on your home area and country. Usually, only covered for coastal sailing and certain nautical mile restrictions.

So, my best advice, for cruising internationally, would be to start building, keeping track, keep documents, and get special certifications, IE. Sailing programs (ASA, RYA), charter company certifications, charter boats the size and type you'll be looking to buy.

Thread title "Just bought our retirement home!" the insurance subject is covered by google and as a subject on this forum, with much more detail and experienced members. If you have any further questions about insurance and certifications, look to threads already started on the subject. Thank you and safe sailing
Old 30-10-2019, 05:55   #19
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Congratulations!

Like many of the people on here, my first instinct for sharing our catamaran for more than a week is o hell no, but I also recognize that there are many different ways of co-existing and being happy, and if that works for y'all, then the more power to you!
Passion should believe itself irresistible. It should forget civility and consideration and all the other curses of a refined nature. Above all, it should never ask for leave where there is a right of way. -E.M. Forster
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 19:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Congratulations!

Like many of the people on here, my first instinct for sharing our catamaran for more than a week is o hell no, but I also recognize that there are many different ways of co-existing and being happy, and if that works for y'all, then the more power to you!
Thank You

I agree, there are pros and cons, has to be compatible couples, and a catamaran with two hulls, helps with time apart for sanity. Sharing the workload and having a younger athletic couple onboard, is a plus for us being seniors. They are grateful for the opportunity to sail, see the world, and further their sailing resume with his USCG Master License.

As with any relationship, only time will tell.
Old 06-11-2019, 14:47   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

cool, a sistership of ours.... we have too a 2013 400S2 owners version...

We are cruising the next year the Med for a second (or third...) season, maybe we cross our waters one day...
Old 07-11-2019, 16:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
cool, a sistership of ours.... we have too a 2013 400S2 owners version...

We are cruising the next year the Med for a second (or third...) season, maybe we cross our waters one day...
Sistership, in more ways then Lagoon L400S2. I plane to install a similar Solar array and same batteries as your system. I saw your setup, you sharing your project here on the forum, has me wanting to take on the DIY project.

We'll be starting out in Croatia, working west in time to cross the Atlantic in November. Would like to spend longer in the Med, but VAT, and wanting to get to the South Pacific to spend most of our cruising days.

So, might have our paths cross along the way in the Med
Old 08-11-2019, 01:45   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Datsun510 View Post
Sistership, in more ways then Lagoon L400S2. I plane to install a similar Solar array and same batteries as your system. I saw your setup, you sharing your project here on the forum, has me wanting to take on the DIY project.

We'll be starting out in Croatia, working west in time to cross the Atlantic in November. Would like to spend longer in the Med, but VAT, and wanting to get to the South Pacific to spend most of our cruising days.

So, might have our paths cross along the way in the Med
We crossed the waters of another us flagged 400S2 sister last year, the ZOE, they have a blog and have done similar upgrades in croatia but with expensive victron LFP batteries.

Here a link to their blog, maybe worth reading too...

http://twochasingsunsets.com/
Old 08-11-2019, 13:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
We crossed the waters of another us flagged 400S2 sister last year, the ZOE, they have a blog and have done similar upgrades in croatia but with expensive victron LFP batteries.

Here a link to their blog, maybe worth reading too...

Dan and Robyn's Adventures
I'll checkout Zoe's blog, thanks for the link
Old 08-11-2019, 20:46   #25

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Zoe is our girl...and we definitely took a lot of inspiration from catnewbee’s awesome Lfp setup when we designed ours. It gave us confidence to take the (expensive) plunge!

We went all victron for system integration (it all just works together) and easier install. You do pay a premium but I found a local Croatian victron dealer who gave me 25 percent off list, free shipping and vat refund paperwork. Unfortunately customs denied my vat refund in cavtat when clearing out since they were installed and not new in box. They actually boarded the boat to inspect. It was worth a try...

We truly do love our Lagoon 400 S2. After two seven month seasons of living full time onboard in the med we have zero regrets and can’t wait to get back to her next spring...
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement