Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 14:20   #1

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat
Buyer Beware. E-Rigging never again.

I recently ordered several 316 stainless clevis pins from E-Rigging. Their site is fairly slick although very inconsistent in level of detail. So, for example, you cannot know (from the site) whether you are ordering a pin that is two inches long overall, or two inches effective length. Effective length is the usual criteria of importance to sailors (and most people buying clevis pins). (Effective length -- sometimes called grip length -- is the length from the underside of the head to the near side of the cotter hole.) A pin of 2" effective length can be installed in a piece 2" thick with room for the cotter pin or ring to fit.

As it happens, the pins I received do not measure to the advertised length --either overall or effective. But that is a less serious defect than the one that makes the pins useful only as scrap metal.

I ordered eight 3/8" x 3" and two 1/2 x 4" clevis pins. I did not receive any pin close to 1/2" diameter. (They appeared to have sent a couple odd-sized cotter rings instead). I received 6 (instead of 8) of of the 3/8" pins ordered, and all are defective: too big to fit a 3/8" (.375") hole. They measure about .385". Most of these pins were intended, in my application, to be axles for good quality sheaves with correctly-sized bronze bushings. Of course, they do not fit. These pins are also incorrectly sized to be called 10mm, although they would at least fit (too loosely) through a 10mm hole. They are all effectively worthy only of being scrapped: no market value other than their weight in stainless.

Upon receiving the defective pins, I called, and the customer infuriation team member I spoke with set down the phone and went to check on something... and never returned. After waiting several minutes, I hung up and called back, but had to leave a message. No return call. I sent an email explaining the issue and asking for an immediate refund. No return email. I finally had to call my credit card company to have the charge reversed.

In fifty-some years in the sailing and industrial world (having placed hundreds of orders) I have had to resort to stopping payment only one or two times. These people are far different than the people I usually deal with. That's unfortunate, because rigging often has a strong safety component that can be compromised by off-spec parts. The combination of bad parts and bad customer service is untenable.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 15:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Buyer Beware. E-Rigging never again.

There stuff is junk. Had a customer sailing transatlantic and wanted to use turnbuckles they bought from them. Chinese knockoff of European style course thread turnbuckles.
Sent them off with there original and a few good used US turnbuckles.
Old 18-12-2019, 15:56   #3

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I've bought some non-essential chain, and some other non-critical odds and ends from them. I can't defend what's described here, but for my minor stuff I ordered - I was satisfied. I never had any reason to contact them directly, outside of the web ordering. I don't discount the importance of items being supplied to spec.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 16:02   #4

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

McMaster-Carr is usually a good option - they generally have very accurate CAD style drawings of whatever is being sold. Click the blue product SKU # - then Product Detail, and scroll down. Shipping is pricey, but the products and selection can easily make up for it. Especially hard to find items.

https://www.mcmaster.com/clevis-pins
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 16:36   #5

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Yes Hardhead, McMaster Carr is a good option. In fact, I just received the correct items from them. Easy: good drawings, etc. And their order handling and shipping is super fast.

I still have heard nothing from E-Rigging. No callback from my voicemail, no response to my email, no refund showing up on my credit card.

I am building a prototype, so there is no emergency here. But imagine being out in the Atlantic, grabbing a clevis pin to replace the one you just dropped overboard, only to find that it will not fit the hole! Do you ruin your clevis by drilling it out, or grab your handy 30 ton press to drive it in, using the pin like a broach...

Live and learn. I have so many suppliers who really give a hoot, and always make things right when there is a rare screw-up. I consider myself lucky to infrequently run into the duds.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:47   #6

Boat: Pearson 303

I have used riggingandhardware.com/ in Fairhaven Massachusetts for many years, honest, knowledgeable and quality work. Easy to mail order items.

Reasonable prices.
Capt Y Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 08:47   #7

Typical chinese "junk" (and I'm NOT talking about the boat!!!)......much of "their" stuff is $#!T........we've been taken by these people for way too long!!!!! We've ALL been guilty of buying their inferior stuff for way too long............many times without any recourse when it fails.
We should be boycotting their junk and pay the price for quality and proven material, especially when it comes to our boats and safety..........just sayn'............
bbowman294 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging