Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2019, 12:38   #1

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
Rigging replacement decisions...

Aloha,

I'm in the middle of replacing the rigging and I'm at a crossroad. The plan was to only replace the wire, wedges and formers and reuse the norseman hardware/fittings, etc.

Now I'm at a crossroad and considering replacing the fittings too. I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the fittings along with the wire. Judgement calls ahead....:-0

Rigging is 3/8" and 7/16", 1x19 wire.

Age of existing standing rigging is about 25 years and original to the s/v.

The Norseman fittings are stamped with 1/2" and 3/8"

The eyes and studs are Norseman fittings all around the boat and appear to be in very good condition. I see no reason to replace them unless warranted for some reason other than age of the fittings…???

Turnbuckles appear weathered but functioning as well as expected.

Here's what I found when I disassembled the lower and intermediate shrouds:
The lower ends of the shrouds had formers and of course, wedges. However, the upper end Norseman fitting had wedges but no formers. This was consistent with the first 4 shrouds that I disassembled. I don't know why the boat builder didn't put formers in the upper end Norseman fitting. Theories anyone. A rigger told me they can be safely assembled without the former?

I've also learned that Norseman went out of business 2-3 years ago. I have it on good knowledge from another rigger that STA-LOK formers and wedges can be used with Norseman fittings. Does anyone have knowledge regarding this. (When I purchased the sailboat, the spare wedges on the boat were STA-LOK brand). I appears that the original builder had no problem using STA-LOK wedges and formers with the Norseman fittings.

In the end it's a judgement call.

Thanks in advance for your two cents.
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 13:26   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rigging replacement decisions...

The Norseman terminals that I have used for years do not have formers like the Sta Loc models use. I do not see how you could possibly fit a former in where none was ment to be. Something sounds fishy in your case.

I also have doubts about the use of Sta Loc cones in a Norseman terminal. I would want to do an accurate comparison of a new example of each before trusting that substitution.

Proper Norseman replacement cones are now available from Tylaska.

Jim

Tags
men, rigging