Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 04:43   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Inverter microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
A typical 1000w microwave draws around 1500 watts. If you set the microwave power to 600w, the unit still draws 1500watts but cycles on and off more.
Which is what I said. Total power consumption is similar (I said the same) but peak loads are higher on conventional microwaves.

I did some Googling and found no numbers outside of marketing pieces to substantiate the claimed 15% total power reduction of inverter microwaves. There are some credible sources of reviews (more than advertising mills) that don't talk about power efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I've not run any tests as I have better things to do in life (like fix all the broken things on my boat , but I would think that when I need to reduce the heat source, actually doing so and having a constant stream of 30 or 50% heat, is preferable to heating at full power for 30-50% of the time. That's how you burn the outside of your food but fail to cook the inside well.
Incorrect. You are considering the microwave as if heat impinges from outside the food. It doesn't. The microwaves cause the molecules in the food to vibrate; vibrating molecules generate heat. The extent to which surfaces heat faster is due to the attenuation of the 2.45 GHz microwave radio inside the food. The molecules vibrate faster near the surface of the food than near the center. Temperature does equalize due to conduction. Thermal inertia applies. The difference in cooking efficacy, if any, favors the intermittant cycling in most use cases.

Again, no credible source material including from professional or academic source that cites improvements in cooking quality from inverter microwaves.

It would seem to me that one of the benefits of inverter microwaves is lower appliance weight which makes it easier to tie them down properly so they won't go flying across the cabin in a seaway.

Auspicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 05:12   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Cooking food (successfully) in a conventional (power transformer) microwave is challenging because the magnetron, the element that cooks the food in most microwaves, can only deliver full power. Even when set to “50% power”, the microwave oven is actually going through cycles of delivering 100% power, followed by a period of no power.
In an inverter microwave oven, the power level of the oven can be adjusted as per the heating load. So when you set 50% power, for example, you actually get a steady stream of 50% power for the entire cooking time.

The result is lower peak demand, more evenly cooked food, defrosting without cooked edges, and even the ability to keep foods warm until mealtime.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 05:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Cooking food (successfully) in a conventional (power transformer) microwave is challenging because the magnetron, the element that cooks the food in most microwaves, can only deliver full power. Even when set to 50% power, the microwave oven is actually going through cycles of delivering 100% power, followed by a period of no power.
On microwaves I have used the power cycle is five or six cycles per minute.

Your observation neglects thermal inertia, attenuation effects from surface to center of food, and conduction as a function of time.

If the factors don't convince you I offer the analogy of making Hollandaise sauce moving the pot on and off the heat specifically in order to maintain stable temperature so the eggs don't cook and the emulsion does not break.

I take exception to your statement that cooking in a microwave is challenging due to power cycling. "Cooking" in a microwave is challenging because browning doesn't happen. Fine for reheating and for things like baked potatoes. Not useful for a decent steak or even a mediocre hamburger. Can't make a decent chicken breast. I guess you could make enchiladas if you hit them with a propane torch to brown the top.

First person to cite Maillard reaction gets keel hauled. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave
Old 20-11-2019, 05:56   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I use a cheap-o WalMart 750W microwave. Not a dial type; it has a digital display and pushbuttons. Not an inverter type. It works fine on the 2,000W inverter, although we think it's a bit slower and makes a slightly different sound. Seems a lot cheaper than getting an inverter type 1250W microwave and running it at half power or 60% power. And if it dies I'll just buy another.

A word of caution to those looking at inverter microwaves: They operate at about the same frequency as a WiFi router, and can case significant interference. Without the long, boring story about how I spent weeks tracking down an intermittent network problem which seemed to always interrupt our lunch break, suffice it to say I have first-hand knowledge of this fact.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 06:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A word of caution to those looking at inverter microwaves: They operate at about the same frequency as a WiFi router, and can case significant interference. Without the long, boring story about how I spent weeks tracking down an intermittent network problem which seemed to always interrupt our lunch break, suffice it to say I have first-hand knowledge of this fact.
Lots of things share the ISM band and intermodulation can lead to interference: microwaves, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, satellite phones.
Old 20-11-2019, 06:14   #21

Boat: Beneteau 320

Getting back to microwaves, over the road truckers use 12v microwaves. There seems to be quite a selection -

12 Volt Microwave For Truckers – BestMicrowave

John
LostBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
On microwaves I have used the power cycle is five or six cycles per minute.

Your observation (#17) neglects thermal inertia, attenuation effects from surface to center of food, and conduction as a function of time.

If the factors don't convince you I offer the analogy of making Hollandaise sauce moving the pot on and off the heat specifically in order to maintain stable temperature so the eggs don't cook and the emulsion does not break.

I take exception to your statement that cooking in a microwave is challenging due to power cycling. "Cooking" in a microwave is challenging because browning doesn't happen. Fine for reheating and for things like baked potatoes. Not useful for a decent steak or even a mediocre hamburger. Can't make a decent chicken breast. I guess you could make enchiladas if you hit them with a propane torch to brown the top.

First person to cite Maillard reaction gets keel hauled. *grin*

Points taken.

However, since YOU mentioned it:
“Food Processing and Maillard Reaction Products: Effect on Human Health and Nutrition” ~ Nahid Tamanna, and Niaz Mahmood
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4745522/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 12:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBiker View Post
Getting back to microwaves, over the road truckers use 12v microwaves. There seems to be quite a selection -
Hello John.

The microwave you linked--representative of many 12 VDC applicances--is very problematic. Even a "low power" microwave will draw 70 amps. Inadequate installation, including insufficient battery capacity as well as wire size, is why many over the road (OTR) trucking companies explicity stop their company drivers from using such equipment in company trucks. Owner-operators of course can use what they like.

There are a number of cooking groups for OTR truckers. They tend to carbs and fats but still some good stuff with application to cruisers, especially those who find cooking a challenge.

Regardless, if you're going to carry a microwave my suggestion is to use an inverter close to your batteries with properly sized cabling between batteries and inverter and run AC to the microwave and other appliances. Never lose sight of the power you are pulling from your battery banks.

Tags
inverter