Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 15:21   #1

Boat: FP Helia 44
Searching for a Marina home in the Caribbean

Dear Sailors and Vagabonders

I am new to the Forum a long time sailor of a variety of boats but never an owner of anything over 30’. Hopefully I am dropping this post in the correct forum topic.

So I am starting to consider my retirement chapter of life. Having had a long international career in Oil and Gas living and working in many foreign countries, my wife and I would like to continue to travel and hopefully combine for a few years (at least) with sailing.

A strategy (or dream) I am contemplating is purchasing a cruising cat and parking it somewhere initially in the Caribbean or Central or South America region. My thoughts are leaning towards part time cruising for a few years to get my feet wet for possible longer term live aboard. My initial selection criteria looks something like this:

1. Good harbor, marina location for boat mooring, weather safety
2. Proximity to jump into good cruising grounds – Virgin Islands, Lesser Antilles etc
3. Mooring and maintenance fees and facilities
4. Safety and security for boat and personnel
5. “local” atmosphere where boat is docked/moored. My wife is a native Spanish speaker and I speak a bit.
6. Flight access from USA.
7. It seems like a US territory might be easier and less expensive but I don’t have any facts to support.

So some initial google research and I have an initial list of these places for further research.
1. Dominican Republic
2. Puerto Rico
3. USVI
4. Playa del Carmen area Mexico (but harbors and distance to VI’s a challenge)
5. Panama ( but nothing I could find on the Caribbean side)
6. Colombia Cartagena

So my question to the forum is does anyone have any experience and suggestions given my criteria and initial list above. Any other spots to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Carstens
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:27   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Searching for a Marina home in the Caribbean

Having been to most every location in the Caribbean, (by jet), my favorite place is Turks and Caicos, but bring a lot of money...

Last time I was in St. Thomas, was warned not to go out from the hotel after dark alone. They have some real crime issues with crack. Runoff from pesticides have poisoned the fish. No verification other than a local boat captain we had when scuba diving, lived there all of his life...

BTW, welcome to the forum!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Searching for a Marina home in the Caribbean

Check out St Martin Dutch side.. as close to American as you get E of the USVI's and only around 90nm from them.. burger bars galore and.. tax free marine stores.. an International airport.. good anchoring/moorings in the lagoon during the season if you wish to keep costs down and as safe as anywhere during hurricane season

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:15   #5

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

We have been living around St Thomas USVI for over a year now. Great place to use as a home base. PR and BVI are close by. Always great winds. Several marinas to choose from and two hurricane holes that are as good as you get. International airport, and duty free alcohol. Friendly locals. They do have some issues with crime but as long as you stay away from the bad areas you should be fine. USPS delivers here for cheap as long as it is not too big. Every speaks English unless you want to speak Spanish. Many are bilingual. If you want to live on the hook to keep costs down there are several safe bays with many live-aboards. We have found a great community with the boaters here.

Our life is much less expensive living aboard than living in the Washington DC area and much better.

Capt Ed
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Searching for a Marina home in the Caribbean

Having been around the Carib for 5 years now, have settled in the Green Cay Marina in St Croix, it seems to have everything a sailor needs with a lot of US amenities (its US territory) it even has a Home Depot and KMart. Prices are good and everybody says good morning. Diving is great and you are only 35-40 nm due North, from the USVI and BVI and SVI. What else does a man want.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32   #7

You might take a look at the new Christophe Harbour at St Kitts. Dunno about the overall Carib location but could probably negotiate good early bird Deals?
quandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:57   #8

Boat: Leopard 42 cat

Hello there

I live on the Caribbean side of Panama with my catamaran, and can really recommend the area for we are free from hurricanes, there are several marinas if you wish to use them, plus good and safe anchorages where boats can be left in safety.

Spanish is the native language and it is a dollar-based country......

What more can I say.....

Life is hard isn't it?

Happy searching
capricorntwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20   #9

We have cruised the Eastern Caribbean for the past 9 seasons and I would recommend considering Grenada. This is a lovely friendly island and there are three marina/haul out facilities along the southern shore.Also check out Hog Island.Crime is as low as anywhere or lower. You have sailing access to all the islands from Grenada to St Martin.
tartanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:30   #10

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I had my boat at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor for 8 years, and was happy with their price and service. Dry Storage protected by a range of hill to the east, and BVI has almost no crime. I never locked up the boat and had nothing missing.
On my visits to St. Martin, and the USVI I had minor stuff stolen, and several times I had to replace the cable used to secure my dinghy because it was cut.
If I go back, I will keep my boat there.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:41   #11
Marine Service Provider

I would recommend looking at Grenada. Generally safe from hurricanes, direct flights from the US and Canada and an active cruiser community during hurricane season. Grenada is a beautiful island and has some of the best sailing anywhere!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16   #12
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Meatservo - where in T&C islands? I found Grand Turk very reasonable prices but no marina there. Rolly anchorages often. Loved the weather every day.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

This is our third season sailing the Caribbean. My advice is to come on down and look around. Some people want to be in the Virgins, some like the French islands, and some like Granada or other islands. I lived in St. Thomas full time for several years and loved it. On the boat, not as much. The French islands are a lot easier to get around. St. Maarten seems to have everything.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:22   #14

Thanks - Bocas del Torro area?
Old 05-01-2017, 17:33   #15

Thanks everyone..good info. Now just have to loosen the stern lines on my land career.

Tags
arc, Caribbean, rib