Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 11:21   #1
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Caribbean Clothes

I'll be in the Caribbean for the next couple months going between islands from St. Maarten to Miami. I like to pack as light as possible, so I am wondering how much weather gear I need.

Do I need full offshore bib and jacket (like a Gill OS1 or OS2) or West Marine 3rd Reef? I have a medium weight weatherproof Inshore lite (INS3) jacket that I could put over a fleece. Is this enough? Boots?

The boat will be a 40' Lagoon cat.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 11:31   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Caribbean Clothes

Too much. Crocks, one set of short clothes and another long plus a hat. Light coloured. And a pair of socks if dining out.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 11:49   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Coming up to Miami in the winter, you will want a hooded light spray jacket and fleece top and bottom. Otherwise its a question of how many shorts and tee shirts you want to bring. Your choice of Crocs or Teva's--no boots.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 12:01   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Hello tms - SXM is my general area of abode and for years I had a cheap Aldi plastic raincoat, basically a glorified garbage bag, and that was enough - no offshore or sailing gear needed. Then I got a nice HH light jacket and that was nice, but the gear only got some use when doing nighttime passages between the islands (it gets surprisingly cold, even in the tropics) or in rainstorms. In squalls or rain my snorkeling gear was important as well, since the driving rain reduces visibility.

I now have some light tropical pants that I wear at dusk to keep the mozzies away (remember, Zika and Chikungunya are still prevalent there) but that is more of a preventative measure than a requirement for warmth.

I have Teves sandals that are easy to get into and out of (no shoes on the boat) and can see some serious hiking use while being comfortable.
Old 30-12-2016, 13:02   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

When Columbus first arrived in the Caribbean nobody was wearing any clothes. I read this in a history book and it makes perfect sense. Why wear clothes at all in this climate? They must have thought the Europeans were crazy. The sailors no doubt thought they had arrived in paradise.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib