Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 10:06   #1

Boat: 1989 Ericson 38-00
open to your ideas - Nova Scotia to British Columbia

I want to throw this out and get ideas. A new solo sailor (day skipper cert) buying an Ericson 38-200 in Nova Scotia and my eventual plan is to get her back to BC, but what route to take and when. Time is not a constraint, but in Canada weather always is. My general plan is to sail around the Maritime provinces spring / summer 2017 building skills and outfitting the boat, pretty much getting to know her. Then where? Not interested in the ICW type of sailing but if I have to do this to escape winter then that is how it is.

some thoughts most require additional crew:
- ICW south to FL then to Panama
- N.S. to Azores then Panama
- Northwest passage (big dreams!)
JoeRuncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:38   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: open to your ideas - Nova Scotia to British Columbia

You could do it solo, or with one other person, but you'll be beyond beat at times. If you have 2-3 crew, plus you, it give you a lot more flexiibilty in terms of what kind of watch sked's you use. And if you have that many competent (if green) crew onboard, then you, as skipper can float, not standing any fixed watches, but sometimes choosing to, when warranted.

That way you can handle the primary nav, weather, & comms duties. Sit with the greener crew for part or all of their watches, especially at night. So that they have a reassuring hand on their shoulder, & it lets you teach them at the same time. Plus such a sked lets everyone get enough sleep, & the strain of off watch chores like cooking, mostly becomes a non issue.
It's also good from the perspective that at times having 2 sets of eyes on deck is priceless, like when piloting near land. And, or, when 1 of the 2 of you is very tired, etc. Along with their experience combining with yours for a 1+1=5 kind of thing.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:02   #3

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

If I were in your shoes, with your goal, I would spend the summer cruising Nova Scotia, Cape Bretton Bras D'or, etc.. I suggest an overnight passage, perhaps to Maine, as a shakedown for the offshore leg that comes next. The Maine coast is great cruising grounds too.

When October comes, start watching the weather in the North Atlantic. Find a time that looks good for the first sizable passage to Bermuda -- about 650-700nm depending on where you leave from. Wait there in Bermuda until your insurance company or common sense tell you it is safe to proceed south (early November?). Pick a spot in the eastern Caribbean, as far to windward as you want to go on this tour, and aim for it. 860-1200nm. Spend the winter and spring hopping islands downwind. Towards the end of spring, find your way west to Panama.

Here, my personal expertise is at it's limits, but I would want to spend some time in the San Blas before transiting the canal to the pacific and on to BC. I don't have my Cornell or Heikell with me, but those are two books I'd refer to before embarking. (Cornell -- World Cruising Routes ; Heikell -- Ocean Passages and Landfalls). Perhaps others can give you more specific advice on the second half of the journey.

Unless you're a big fan of solitude, I'd find someone to join for most/all the way. It isn't necessary, but with the right person it'd be a lot easier. Also, take on additional crew to make passages more restful.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRuncer View Post
You also need to start thinking about the Panama to BC leg. Going north up the coast to Mexico, California to Canada is a long, very hard, beat dead against winds and currents. Certain seasons and some areas the winds can be very strong and the CA coast there are long stretches without a harbor. Even some places there are harbors they could be closed due to heavy waves that break across the entrance.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:02   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Your best route would be the trans-Canada Highway, aka highway 1 and in some parts 401. Should take about 3 days.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:18   #6

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Your best route would be the trans-Canada Highway, aka highway 1 and in some parts 401. Should take about 3 days.
Hamburking, you beat me to it. But 3 days?? More like 10 from NS. An alternative is sailing up the St Lawrence, into the Great Lakes and up to the head of the lakes then you are almost into Manitoba and onto Hwy I to Chilliwack and down stream on the Fraser to the Pacific. LOL
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:22   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You also need to start thinking about the Panama to BC leg. Going north up the coast to Mexico, California to Canada is a long, very hard, beat dead against winds and currents. Certain seasons and some areas the winds can be very strong and the CA coast there are long stretches without a harbor. Even some places there are harbors they could be closed due to heavy waves that break across the entrance.
There are some points of view that suggest Mexico to Hawai'i and then to Vancouver would be easier and safer than coasting northbound up the U.S. coast.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:40   #8

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I've been sailing in NS for more than 4 decades. it's a hell of a long way to BC, especially for an inexperienced shorthanded crew. I would never take a small boat to Bermuda in the fall from here. there is a large chance of sinking, or worse. The Clarks Harbour lifeboat never goes one season without having to rescue someone doing this, and the boat is usually abandoned in the process. Put it on a truck. Costs around 10k, maybe a little more , which is less than a third of what it will cost taking it on its own bottom, and it will get there in one piece ( so will you) without a lot of wear and tear on the boat.
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:49   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Alchemy beat me to it. Go west to Hawaii then north to pick up westerlies to BC. The best watch schedule we had was with 5, two green, three experienced, always two on watch. We were 4 hrs on, 6 off, 4 on, 8 off.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 09:28   #10

Uhm... err... "new solo sailor, day skipper certificate" wants to do this???

SOMEBODY teaching that DSC forgot to give a brief outline of the way ahead!

Hamburking hit it on the head. TransCanada Highway is the only way to fly! But if you've come as far as Willywack, don't bother to launch, you are only 75 miles from water with salt in it.

And JoeRuncer: Don't take these sardonic comments too hard. You've knocked a bunch of really, really experienced people on their beam ends with the ambition of your plans. They've been there, done that, and know exactly what lies in store for you if you try it. Me - I HATE open ocean. Nothing there but cold, seasick, hungry, bored, wet, tired, scared, fed up and longing for a cozy bar and a cozyer shore-side bed appropriately appointed.

So since time is NOT of the essence, so you say, take your time. Get sailing among the bluenoses. Poke YOUR nose out into deep water, slowly, carefully and in learning mode. Then when you've learned to work effectively with your tail between your legs, THEN start thinking about how to come to BC by water.

When you get here - give us a call :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 09:56   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Sail the maritimes in May/June then one of two routes to get to the Great Lakes. Either up the St Lawrence (some fantastic scenery along the way: Saguenay, 1,000 Islands, etc) or sail down the New England coast to the Hudson River then north to the Erie Canal west to Lake Erie. Take your time sailing the Great Lakes to Duluth. We met a couple from Turkey that sailed to this route and the following spring were sailing out of Seattle for Alaskan waters after reassembling their 47' Beneteau.
Old 14-12-2016, 09:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Bay View Post
Hamburking, you beat me to it. But 3 days?? More like 10 from NS. An alternative is sailing up the St Lawrence, into the Great Lakes and up to the head of the lakes then you are almost into Manitoba and onto Hwy I to Chilliwack and down stream on the Fraser to the Pacific. LOL
You actually have a very realistic plan there...the trip up the St Lawrence and the great lakes could be some excellent sailing, although it is all against the current and prevailing wind, so a lot of it would be a motor boat ride. Even if he only sailed as far as Toronto, takes a lot of miles off the trip. A quick look at a map shows he could go as far as Deluth Minnasota, although the extra north and south miles may not be worth the time and effort in the short great lakes sailing season.

Yes, 3 days is not right. 10 days by truck, sure, or maybe its somewhere in between. But its DAYS. The sailing route might very well take YEARS. I suppose it depends if he just wants to get the boat to BC, or if sailing there is his lifes dream adventure.
Old 14-12-2016, 10:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Me - I HATE open ocean. Nothing there but cold, seasick, hungry, bored, wet, tired, scared, fed up and longing for a cozy bar and a cozyer shore-side bed appropriately appointed.
Exactly correct.

If it were me, I would sell the east coast boat, hop on a plane, and buy another boat on the west coast. Life is short. There are lots of boats.
Old 14-12-2016, 10:31   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I vote the Northwest passage with a couple others on board. If it is a low ice year, and they seem to be all the rage, it would be the adventure of a lifetime. The only faster way would be to truck it. Webb Chiles first two solo circumnavigations, in the Southern Ocean, with what seemed to be constant storms and peril, were both done in an Ericson 35 as I recall. The Northwest Passage in this day and age should be a cakewalk compared to that.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 10:55   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRuncer View Post
I want to throw this out and get ideas. A new solo sailor (day skipper cert) buying an Ericson 38-200 in Nova Scotia and my eventual plan is to get her back to BC, but what route to take and when. Time is not a constraint, but in Canada weather always is. My general plan is to sail around the Maritime provinces spring / summer 2017 building skills and outfitting the boat, pretty much getting to know her. Then where? Not interested in the ICW type of sailing but if I have to do this to escape winter then that is how it is.

Welcome to CF and boat ownership.

Your enthusiasm and ambition are admirable. I fear they are only exceeded by your inexperience and naivety.

While the boating life can be so rewarding, never underestimate the power of the sea to dash your dreams and take your life with the level of remorse of a junkie mugger.

Your timeline is very ambitious, even for a twice circumnavigator purchasing a recently completely refit boat.

My advice is to spend the first season fixing broken stuff and taking the boat in protected water only. There is enough to do in Bras Dor
Lake alone to keep one going for the entire first season.

The only thing that will adequately prepare you for the adventure you're dreaming is a plethora of wet cockpit cushions ( from spray, boarding waves and pissing yourself).

It can be done on a wing and a prayer, but for the few who have succeeded, 1000's have had dreams dashed shortly after exiting their home port breakwater.

Good Luck.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, nova scotia