Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 13:11   #1
txg

Boat: Dufour 35
Alcohol to Morocco

We're currently in Portugal and stocked up a lot on food and drinks some days ago because the marina here has a free supermarket shuttle. Initially we planned to head on to madeira and the canaries so there wouldn't have been any customs issues and as we thought alcohol could probably be cheaper here we bought about 15L of wine and 10L of liquor.

But now we changed plans and will join another cruising couple and go to Morocco. They allow 1L of wine and 1L of liquor per person so obviously we have way to much on board. I don't feel good about hiding the stuff somewhere so my question is if someone has had the same problem in the past and has any experience with getting the stuff bonded? Is this a complicated process and how expensive is it?

I tried to google but couldn't find anything.
txg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 13:45   #2

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47
Re: Alcohol to Morocco

Those are official limits, but rarely enforced for cruisers. Morocco probably also restricts importation of meats, pork, veggies, etc, and my guess is that no cruiser has ever been asked to declare their pork. I've personally sailed to Morocco from Spain or Gibraltar 3 times over the last 3 years and never had a customs agent board my boat, or inquire about what I had on board. In fact, I have never been requested or required to make a declaration. My experience is limited to Tangier.
Old 06-11-2016, 13:55   #3

Boat: Comet 41s

I had a good laugh at your post. Don't take me wrong, I understand the problem but it is funny.

The only suggestion I can make is: Go to Ceuta, not Marrocos, at least till you have drink the wine Then go to Marrocos.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 14:01   #4

No laughing matter! I would gladly dump any alcohol overboard before surrendering my Spanish jamon serrano. Alcohol is ubiquitous while jamon serrano a exquisite and a rarity.
Old 06-11-2016, 15:09   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

It is presunto and not Jamon since the OP stocked up in Portugal and the Portuguese one is as good as the Spanish.

You are right about alcohol to be ubiquitous but he is not talking about alcohol he is talking about wine!!!! and for what would you want the presunto without wine to drink with it?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:47   #6
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

To sum it up: We had customs on board in El Jadida, they did a superficial search of our boat and asked if we store more alcohol on board when they saw the booze that's standing in our minibar. I showed some more, but not all of it and then it was fine.

All in all, Morocco was interesting but i'm not sure if it was worth the hassle. We've been to Mohammadia and El Jadida, and in both harbours clearing in and out was a real pain in the ass, with marina captain, harbour captain, coast guard, customs and immigration police. Immigration police keeps your passports and boat papers and all the other institutions also want to see them, but as they don't talk to each other but just come over when they feel like it (mostly when your in the middle of a meal or sitting on the toilet) it has been really difficult to get this sorted out.

Also, we felt like being way overcharged, while 30€/night in Mohammadia for a marina is not cheap but okay, 26€/night for being allowed to anchor in El Jadida harbour (there are absolutely no facilities) is just way too much, especially in a country where you can get a big sandwich with fries for less than 2€.

It was also "interesting" that officials simply ignore women on the VHF, which happened not once but every time we did this.
txg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
To sum it up: ... it was fine.

All in all, Morocco was interesting but i'm not sure if it was worth the hassle. We've been to Mohammadia and El Jadida
It looks like you may be heading south along the coast of Morocco. May, I suggest a stop in Essaouira, with inland trips to Marrakesh, and Imlil (60kms south of Marrakesh). Rent a car in Essaouira and drive. Maybe these places will make your visit worth the hassle.
Old 28-11-2016, 11:55   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
We're currently in Portugal and stocked up a lot on food and drinks some days ago because the marina here has a free supermarket shuttle. Initially we planned to head on to madeira and the canaries so there wouldn't have been any customs issues and as we thought alcohol could probably be cheaper here we bought about 15L of wine and 10L of liquor. (...)
Stocking up with 25 liters of booze before going to places where you can buy beer / wine / liquors in every corner store?

Note, I did not ask why.

Note Canary Islands are not in the EU VAT area and you are supposed to declare and pay the tax on any excessive amount.

Last time I looked this up the amounts were:

"...
• One litre of alcohol or derived beverages
• Two litres of wine or other fermented bubbly beverages
• Two litres of wine and fermented beverages
..."

Per each person onboard aged 17 and above.

Souce, e.g.: Tenerife Las Americas - Customs and Duty free information for travelers to and from Tenerife, Canary Islands

Another source says (likely more up to date):

"...
Alcoholic Beverages:
- 1,5 litres for drinks with more than 22 degrees, or
- 3 litres for drinks with less than 22 degrees.
- In case of table wines or bubbles you might take up to 5 litres.

Per each person onboard aged 17 and above.

You can simply ask the customs official on check-in what the allowed amount is. Or send them an email and ask beforehand.

I would not try this in Morocco. Head to their customs website for the allowances.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morocco