Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 15:42   #1

good shipyard with cheap labour in Asia

I need to haul my boat and redo a lot of the interior timber work, renew a lot of the original cupboards, benches etc.
Can anyone recommend a shipyard somewhere in asia, around Thailand, Phillipines area where they have had similar work done to a high standard at a good cheap price
bobmac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 04:39   #2

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: good shipyard with cheap labour in Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac10 View Post
I need to haul my boat and redo a lot of the interior timber work, renew a lot of the original cupboards, benches etc.
Can anyone recommend a shipyard somewhere in asia, around Thailand, Phillipines area where they have had similar work done to a high standard at a good cheap price
Check out A Complete Boat Refit Project In Satun, Thailand - Esper, Oyster 435 | followtheboat Jamie & Liz had major refit done in Thailand on their Oyster 435 in 2014.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 15:42   #3

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

PSS Shipyard near Satun Thailand. We had extensive work completed twice, and were one of the first yachts into the yard in 2007. Great yard with excellent workers and English speaking owners. Chandlery in the town, hotels, markets and hire car/bikes available.
Old 26-01-2016, 21:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
PSS Shipyard near Satun Thailand. We had extensive work completed twice, and were one of the first yachts into the yard in 2007. Great yard with excellent workers and English speaking owners. Chandlery in the town, hotels, markets and hire car/bikes available.
Thanks for that, it looks like PSS has got everything going for it.
I really enjoyed the videos of the Oyster refit.
bobmac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 21:53   #5

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac10 View Post
Well, there is cheap and there is superb… not always compatible. But in Nai and Toe of Inter Woodwork Phuket, you will get both. They are the absolute best. Boat Lagoon Phuket. The only question is if you are lucky enough to get their services as they are so much in demand. Did a full redeck for me and full interior refurb. I know around 15 other boats who had major work done by them and we all agree Nai and Toe are the best. Some of them had work done more than 15 years ago and still agree. They run a team of around 30 men, who are the best in the business. She is honest and diligent as the day is long, and a better project manager you will not find this side of the moon.

The yard iteself is like Cape Canaveral, with 3 travel lifts to choose from and a vast, hyperclean space with excellent security, many very good restaurants and accommodation nearby (in the huge compound), a large modern Western style supermarket actually within the yard area, 4 extremely well equipped chandleries, and every service you could possibly need, including excellent (and cheap) stainless, engineering, electrics, refrigeration, whatever. Oh, and blazing fast free internet, and 50 meter pool, clean and almost always empty!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 21:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Just hauled there for the 4th time Prices have gone up a lot but its still beats anything I have tried around here ..
Old 26-01-2016, 22:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Just hauled there for the 4th time Prices have gone up a lot but its still beats anything I have tried around here ..
Where and where?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 26-01-2016, 23:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

PSS Satun .....
Old 28-01-2016, 05:42   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
The yard iteself is like Cape Canaveral, with 3 travel lifts to choose from and a vast, hyperclean space with excellent security, many very good restaurants and accommodation nearby (in the huge compound), a large modern Western style supermarket actually within the yard area, 4 extremely well equipped chandleries, and every service you could possibly need, including excellent (and cheap) stainless, engineering, electrics, refrigeration, whatever. Oh, and blazing fast free internet, and 50 meter pool, clean and almost always empty!
You tell me that AFTER I spent four years refitting myself during the short summer!

Place sounds like a destination with the refit being just a good excuse!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You tell me that AFTER I spent four years refitting myself during the short summer!

Place sounds like a destination with the refit being just a good excuse!
Well there are two (bona fide) massage places within the boat lagoon area where you can get massages for around $10 CDN an hour. (and no, that doesn't mean what some will think it means…) And a generous lunch at an excellent local eatery on the doorstep of the best chandlery will set you back around 4 dollars CDN. It is pretty nice. As a service destination Thailand is tough to beat. There are drawbacks of course. Phuket in general (though not Boat Lagoon in particular) is overrun with tourists, now mainly from mainland China. It is genuinely VERY hot most of the time, and the water in many places is murky. Plus the traffic is statistically (where statistics are actually gathered) the second most dangerous on earth… though can be kind of entertaining, in a WTF!!??? sort of way.
Old 30-01-2016, 16:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

If you like expensive and busy then Boat Lagoon or even Royal Phuket (next door) Is fine. There are of course lots of options in this area. All depends on how "hands on" you are. Either way I always recommend watching any work done on your boat as I had a very expensive experience in the Boat Lagoon. There are lots of slipways in Phuket as well.
Old 30-01-2016, 20:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
If you like expensive and busy then Boat Lagoon or even Royal Phuket (next door) Is fine. There are of course lots of options in this area. All depends on how "hands on" you are. Either way I always recommend watching any work done on your boat as I had a very expensive experience in the Boat Lagoon. There are lots of slipways in Phuket as well.
Not with Nai at Interwoodwork, I'll warrant.
Old 30-01-2016, 20:51   #13
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

I had work done at Ao Po due to Lagoon being located there, great facility but not cheap.

A friend has had work done at Saturn and recommends them.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 06-02-2016, 15:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

My biggest problem with Boat Lagoon is size. It is too small for larger yachts like mine. Asia Marine in Phuket town area across from Ratanachai.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 21:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
My biggest problem with Boat Lagoon is size. It is too small for larger yachts like mine. Asia Marine in Phuket town area across from Ratanachai.
Sorry mate but this may be somewhat misleading. Boat lagoon is a truly enormous area, and can handle yachts significantly longer than yours, and no doubt significantly heavier… there are dozens of such right now on the hard there. The largest of the three boat lifts has a maximum capacity of 80 tons, and the yard can haul and handle vessels longer than 30 meters by 13 meters beam (going by Precision's figures). Perhaps it is because you are a trimaran, and so require very particular haul out arrangments, and you are marginally too wide? However saying "too small" may appear misleading.

Tags
Asia, cheap