Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 11:56   #1

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Alberg 30 refit/recoring

I began last year with a plan to refit our Alberg 30. She is a good boat, suited us and worthy of my time and money. This refit will be a labor of love and I understand not everyone will agree with putting this level of time, money and effort into a plastic classic, but I do. We love this old Alberg and she suits our needs and wants just quite well.

Adventures of Salacia: Alberg 30 refit: Lots of Holes & Rotten Balsa Core

Adventures of Salacia: Alberg 30 refit: Lots of Holes & Rotten Balsa Core

I am taking the time to upgrade and make better than new what I can. I will post progress from time to time.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:22   #2

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30
Re: Alberg 30 refit/recoring

Ah, another Plastic Classic refugee. Good to see this thread over here where it will get more exposure.

Great work so far on the boat!
Old 25-01-2016, 18:16   #3

In spite of bad weather I've managed to make a bit of progress on the Alberg

Adventures of Salacia: Alberg 30 Refit: Mast Step Repair
Old 25-01-2016, 19:10   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well I definitely understand your passion for a classic plastic and it is not crazy. How much would you expect to pay for that boat if it were built today? As it so happens I am preparing to tear into my mast support too on my Columbia 29 as, after 54 years, it needs it, but not desperately. Keep us posted. I'd like to see a classic plastic social group here, shall we start one?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 19:20   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

You certainly have dug yourself into quite a project.

Good thing you're taking care of the issues and doing it right the first time around is better then having to repair a quick-fix later.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 06:14   #6

Guys, Thank you for the comments. I have dug myself neck deep into this project but like I've said before...sorta enjoy it...it's sorta therapeutic. I know what I repair now will be good to go for as long as I'm alive.

This boat and many like it have lasted 40+ years. I believe like a classic mustang these old boats are worth the time, money and effort put into maintaining them. Sure its not for everyone but really like my old classic design. I like it's simplicity.

And I cannot afford a new 30 ft sailboat, ~130k, or something like that....what I can afford is a place ic classic and a few thousand dollars spread out over time.

Thanks again
Old 26-01-2016, 09:34   #7

You are putting time and money into a boat with good bones. Alberg designs are beautiful and sail well(maybe not fast) and are worth restoring, if they are not too far gone. Keep us posted. Best of Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:39   #8

It would be hard to define a better "deal" in the sailing world these days than a classic from the 50s, 60s and early 70s, (which is how I could afford to have one.) Some are sold for nothing and yet, put 4 or 5k and a little sweat into them and you have a great cruiser. A pocket cruiser for pocket change (sort of), or if you really want to make it extra beautiful you might put 10k into it. They are simple, strong, sea-worthy, sea-kindly... with a little looking at Minney's or Bacon sails you can get perfectly good used sails; craigslist and Amazon can get you lots of other stuff for not too much and most everything can be done by the owner. It is the only way the middle class can afford to get into cruising these days... Pearson Tritons, Vanguards, Ariels, Bristol 30 and 27, Columbia 24, 26 (mk1) and 29, Alberg 30, Albin Vega.. who have I missed? There are many others of course, and those like the Cape dories and the Alberg 35, Pearson Rhodes 41, but I think they may be out of reach for the typical middle-class budget. There must be a thread on this somewhere already, maybe "great little cruising boats for under $15K"? Whadya think Steady?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-01-2016, 12:38   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30

We own a 1978 Alberg 30. They might not be the rite boat for everyone but they are one of the best classics out there. We love ours, I would have no problem talking it around the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:53   #10

My next boat could be an Alberg 30 that needs work. Kind of waiting for the current owner to give up on it. Have a feeling the price may not be realistic though. Current owner is an odd one!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You really oughta checkout Bacon Sails in Annapolis. A guy at our dock got a great deal on a really good set of sails.
Last year I got a main made for a boat like mine that was nearly new from Bacon, very inexpensive. Really you could probably find a very good main and a jib and genoa for around $1800. There is a place in Texas too, but I can't recall the name right now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-01-2016, 19:27   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We are in the process of restoring a 1982 Cape Dory 33 that had been abandoned and neglected for 6 years. She was a basket case, to be honest we grossly under estimated how much time and money it was going to cost. A lot of people question our sanity. For what we're putting into her we could have had something newer that wouldn't have eaten 3 years of our lives in the boat yard. Worst part is, this isn't the first time we've done this to save a plastic classic. (Hope it is the last though.) I guess what I'm trying to say is, we understand. Carry on.
Old 27-01-2016, 16:55   #13

Don,

You are correct about these older boats being affordable for the "middle" class.... not exactly sure what that is anymore. I like to call it the honest hard working class...you know the guy and gals that get **** done and for some odd reason are barely get paid a wage to get by anymore.
I will probably have close to 30k in my boat when I am finished with refit...but that will include a new to me 170hr Beta diesel, diesel installation, new sails, hatch and portlight upgrades, structural upgrades and a fresh coat of paint...and I will have a classic that will look like a proper boat.....not a clorox bottle with a steering wheel! It won't be the fastest boat but it might be the sturdiest 30fter at the marina. And it will be paid for!
Old 28-01-2016, 11:01   #14

Made a bit of progress, more digging into mast support beam.

Adventures of Salacia: Alberg 30 Refit: Digging into the Mast Support Beam
Old 29-01-2016, 17:02   #15

You probably know by now, but I think you will find an aluminum beam in there in the mast support. I think your model, being later, has that. I did not see any evidence of the deck flexing or compression from the mast loading, which is good. Did you see some earlier? And how is the post and bulkhead down at the hull joint, any rot? My mast support spans the bulkheads equally and it does show some movement so mine is due. You are fortunate to have the doorway offset and more of the load over the post to port. I have some photos of a mast support for a Triton that I think I will emulate. I think it may be a good idea to add posts on either side to carry the load down to the hull and give the bulkheads extra rigidity. I am planning to get a couple of pieces of stainless flat stock to sandwich some oak and then face with mahogany to span and through-bolt on the bulkheads for mine... but I have yet to begin! Just for reference, here are a couple shots of a Triton solution: and then one of my mast support, which the previous owner tried to beef up without success. If you need more moral support there are a few of us Columbia 29 owners on here who share our progress in bringing some other good ol' boats back to life. You really have a great old boat there, great design, a real classic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast+Arch.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	117924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast+Arch2.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	117925  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mast support.jpg