Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 04:21   #1

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B
Best Projected Resale Value

Dear All,
Does anyone here know what new or used yachts in the 10 meter/34' range have good projected resale value in the Caribbean?

Thanks,
V.
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 04:54   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Best projected resale value

From my earlier research: plain vanilla boats lose less value. Something mass market and popular with people in the area where you want to sell.

Roughly 50% in the first 6 years, then (my assumption) it slows down.

(Meaning: possibly avoid buying new)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:12   #3

Re: Best Projected Resale Value

Perhaps particular brands or models that hold their value well/better than others ?

THANKS
Old 30-09-2014, 08:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From a holding value perspective, my opinion is the older more expensive boats hold their value better.
Now before I get anyone upset, I'm speaking purely from a percentage of depreciation over say a set time period.
The newer the boat, regardless of it's manufacturer will depreciate faster initially, with the greater amount of depreciation being in it's first few years
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:59   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post
Dear All,
Does anyone here know what new or used yachts in the 10 meter/34' range have good projected resale value in the Caribbean?

Thanks,
V.
Not being facetious but I don't think any boat this size will have "good projected resale value" in the Caribbean. It'll be difficult to find a buyer for such a small boat in the Caribbean.
Old 30-09-2014, 11:02   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Perhaps something that exists in both US and EU world?

An Oceanis perhaps?

5-6 y.o. perhaps?

I would also consider a decent cat. More people want cats than monos.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:29   #7

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps something that exists in both US and EU world?

An Oceanis perhaps?

5-6 y.o. perhaps?

I would also consider a decent cat. More people want cats than monos.

b.
More people may "want" cats but more people can afford mono's. I see nothing wrong with the size you are discussing- I would thing older, plain- well kept- with condition being most important. But don't purchase a boat thinking about resale value. Purchase it to enjoy- that is were the value will come from.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau/343

I would use yachtworld.com to try to figure this out.

You can limit your searches to beneteau 34 for each of the last six years( do just one year at a time) in the geography in question. That can give you a reasonably decent trend line. Then repeat the exercise with other vendors. That will give you a decent, but imperfect answer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:48   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Not being facetious but I don't think any boat this size will have "good projected resale value" in the Caribbean. It'll be difficult to find a buyer for such a small boat in the Caribbean.

I agree.

Value is dependant on liquidity of the market. You might value your boat at a million dollars and a broker may agree, but you may never sell it. However a brand that is liquid you know theres ten boats traded per month and all you have to do is make your boat price the lowest of the ten and it will sell quickly.

I bought my boat because I know the markets for it in 4 regions: Caribbean, USA, Europe and Australia. Theres not many brands liquid in all 4 regions.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 12:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No problem at all.
I'll be cruising singlehanded, so 34' seems appropriate, but optimum resale value considering: what would be a better size ??

Salut,
V.
Old 30-09-2014, 12:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
... Purchase it to enjoy- that is were the value will come from.
My idea is to cruise for 1-2 years to find out if it's really something for me. If not, and 1-2 years is enough, the boat needs to be an attractive market offering, so resale value does represent an important factor in the boat I'll choose.
Old 30-09-2014, 12:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still think size isn't nearly as relevant, I think it's more based on what you pay for it, if you pay more than you should, you'll take a bath, if you pay less, you'll do fine.
I believe this hold true for almost anything, as well as the market doesn't bottom out like housing did for instance.
So if your buying with the intent on re-selling soon and your return is most important, then start your search looking for a steal on a boat as opposed to your dream boat. Find a boat that someone has to sell in a hurry and if your standing there with cash in hand, your in a far better position than the person that has to arrange financing etc., because they need money now
Any luxury item, there are many sold in a hurry, whether it be because of debt, divorce or the wife demanding it, that is what your looking for, may not be what you want, but if it's a steal and a desirable boat, then it will sell well.
40 ft seems to be about the sweet spot for what most are looking for, but I'd hate to single hand much less pay for that much boat to be just one person.

An opinion of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 12:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

You've gotten a lot of good advice above.

One thing you didn't mention -- are you planning on chartering out the boat? Chartering out a boat accelerates wear and tear incredibly, and the value of such boats will be, naturally, much less, after a few years of charter work.

As to older, better boats -- A64pilot is correct, of course -- older anything will depreciate less than newer anything. Actually "depreciation" as such pretty much stops after 15 years or so, being replaced by the cost of keeping the condition up to what it was when you bought it. Most good quality boats of 15 years age or so will not depreciate if you keep them upgraded and in good condition. But the cost of doing that is just as much, and might even be more, than the depreciation on a new boat, so its not clear that this is a winning financial proposition.

And since depreciation is silent, whereas repairing and upgrading old equipment requires lots of time and effort, I would probably go with a new boat if I ever sell the one I have now (which I'm not planning to do so far).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 12:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You've gotten a lot of good advice above.

One thing you didn't mention -- are you planning on chartering out the boat? Chartering out a boat accelerates wear and tear incredibly, and the value of such boats will be, naturally, much less, after a few years of charter work.

As to older, better boats -- A64pilot is correct, of course -- older anything will depreciate less than newer anything. Actually "depreciation" as such pretty much stops after 15 years or so, being replaced by the cost of keeping the condition up to what it was when you bought it. Most good quality boats of 15 years age or so will not depreciate if you keep them upgraded and in good condition. But the cost of doing that is just as much, and might even be more, than the depreciation on a new boat, so its not clear that this is a winning financial proposition.

And since depreciation is silent, whereas repairing and upgrading old equipment requires lots of time and effort, I would probably go with a new boat if I ever sell the one I have now (which I'm not planning to do so far).
Great forum this
I'm not looking for a project boat, nor any major refitting. I don't mind doing little jobs, but the boat needs to be in good shape. No chartering out either: it will be Caribbean liveaboard for 1-2 years.

THANKS
Old 30-09-2014, 13:01   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post
Great forum this
I'm not looking for a project boat, nor any major refitting. I don't mind doing little jobs, but the boat needs to be in good shape. No chartering out either: it will be Caribbean liveaboard for 1-2 years.

THANKS
I don't know how much experience with cruising boats you have, but every one of them, even new ones, are "project boats", each in their own way. It's pretty hard to get away with "little jobs" even on a new boat. As cruising boats get older, and systems start to reach the end of their lives, the amount of work and expense goes up steeply. This is more true of very complex boats (like mine, unfortunately), and less true of very simple boats, but it is true to some degree or another of all cruising boats.

It's just part of cruising, and sometimes it's even part of the fun, if you have the right attitude. And the right tools just to hand But the reality of the amount of maintenance and repair involved can be shocking to people who expect it to be similar to taking care of a car.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale