Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 13:03   #1

Boat: Radford R415
Sailing outerwear

Hello all, I have a question about cold weather sailing outerwear. What are people wearing when sailing offshore in Alaska and Canada? Been doing research on Mustang, Gill, and others but really want to know what works and what doesn't.
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 18:34   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Sailing outerwear

HH, Gill, Musto, Mustang all have good stuff.
Do not cheap out on your hard shell jacket. Buy the best you can afford. This is what keep you dry. The rest can be simple polar fleece, goose down, merino wool and quick dry clothes.
I multi layer, ( Onion ) and change often. Specially socks. Buy merino wool socks and change them often.
I wear a HH Aegir Ocen race jacket and bibs. I have breathable deck boots by Gill and water proof gloves.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 18:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
HH, Gill, Musto, Mustang all have good stuff.
Do not cheap out on your hard shell jacket. Buy the best you can afford. This is what keep you dry. The rest can be simple polar fleece, goose down, merino wool and quick dry clothes.
I multi layer, ( Onion ) and change often. Specially socks. Buy merino wool socks and change them often.
I wear a HH Aegir Ocen race jacket and bibs. I have breathable deck boots by Gill and water proof gloves.
Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I'm going to focus on jackets and bibs for my wife and me.
Old 05-12-2019, 18:42   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I'm going to focus on jackets and bibs for my wife and me.
Don't buy them to close fitting. You need to be able to put layers under them according to temperature.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 20:30   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

We love our mustang floater gear, bibs and jackets. Not only does it keep you dry and warm it also helps extend your time during a cold water immersion. We’ve had the classics which lasted fairly well for the price but now onto the catalyst line. They are a little stiff initially but do break in rather quick with frequent use, then you will live in them.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 21:16   #6

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

If you are just starting out a good set of outdoor Goretex jacket and pants will work well. You can over spend on some of the off shore stuff when all you may need is good coastal gear rather than the very expensive off shore stuff.
Some long term sailors eventually give up on the fancy goretex and purchase what the local fishermen are wearing, like Helly Hansen etc. It less of an issue if you tear a hole in a $50 jacket rather than a $1000 jacket.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 21:48   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I was a bit apprehensive about the new, $$$, set of Gill off-shore foulies I bought for a trip from Hawaii to SF until the 36 hours of 50 knots and 30’ers that filled the cockpit numerous times. Along with good boots, I was able to come off all of my watch’s with dry fleece layers and socks. Conditions were rough enough, it would have been a real problem to have been wet and cold too. It was money wisely and well spent.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 22:31   #8

Boat: Pearson 323

I fished two seasons in Alaska. We wore solid neoprene oilies. None of this breathable sh!te for me. Your skin can breathe once the gale clears.
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
If you are just starting out a good set of outdoor Goretex jacket and pants will work well. You can over spend on some of the off shore stuff when all you may need is good coastal gear rather than the very expensive off shore stuff.
Some long term sailors eventually give up on the fancy goretex and purchase what the local fishermen are wearing, like Helly Hansen etc. It less of an issue if you tear a hole in a $50 jacket rather than a $1000 jacket.
Thanks for your comments. Makes sense.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
Looking at H&H gear. I used to climb and H&H gear was always good.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46   #11

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiano View Post
I fished two seasons in Alaska. We wore solid neoprene oilies. None of this breathable sh!te for me. Your skin can breathe once the gale clears.
After years of using a lot of the higher tech breathable stuff in various applications, I'm inclined to agree when it comes to offshore cruising. Nothing wrong with the techy stuff -- in fact one nice plus is they afford a lot of movement which is comfortable if you're racing or moving around the boat a lot.

Seems like HH and some of the other well known brand names may have started out making classic oilies for fishermen, etc., but are now pretty techy and expensive. Anyone have a good online link to a credible vendor for the more traditional neoprene "oilies"?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44   #12
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Looking at H&H gear. I used to climb and H&H gear was always good.
Watch the new HH gear. Their new fabrics are very light and tear easily, although their pro material is a little better than their two other fabrics it’s still not as tough as a high count cordura, IMO their commercial gear is better suited for hard use. Most fishermen in Alaska are running Grundens, they're waterproof, generally tough and affordable. Viking also makes some affordable wet weather work gear that is similar to Grundens. If you’re looking at cold weather gear take into account cold water immersion, most of the offshore and coastal wet weather gear, commercial or rec do not prevent flushing or add any benefits when immersed.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Most fishermen in Alaska are running Grundens, they're waterproof, generally tough and affordable.
If it works for fishermen in Alaska . . . .
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14   #14
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
If it works for fishermen in Alaska . . . .
Just don’t look at the casualty numbers of AK fishermen. Most don’t wear floatation.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Just don’t look at the casualty numbers of AK fishermen. Most don’t wear floatation.
As I recall, and for the industry as a whole, one of the highest casualty rates out there. No doubt even worse up in that part of the world.

Tags
sail, sailing