Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55   #1

bavaria 56 tender garage

anyone tell me the dimensions of the newer bavaria's slick dinghy garage?....depth and width? also....can you sail with the swim step down?
coconutz247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:43   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: bavaria 56 tender garage

The garage is not big enough for an inflated dinghy. The concept is to deflate the dinghy over the swim platform and to inflate it there with the aid of a compressor that is integrated on the garage.

You mean sailing with the swim platform down? I am afraid I am not understanding your question, the swim platform is huge.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58   #3

the garage in the photo holds a dinghy that is deflated and folded over to fit inside the garage. a very nice solution to avoid stern davits or using the spinnaker sheet to hoist the tender on the bow. i'm not sure to use the garage if you'd have to use a bavaria dinghy or could you use an upgraded one. it would be nice on short trips to just leave the swim step down and slide the dinghy in without deflating it. clear enuf?

additionally, i'd like to know what the garage dimensions are to research if a more powerful dinghy would fit. coconutz
Old 03-01-2017, 11:19   #4

For the exact dimensions ask Bavaria.

The idea of sailing with that huge swim platform open was so odd that i was afraid I was not understanding you. The answer is no unless, you do not sail the boat (do to heel) and even in what regards motoring, only on flat seas.

Some other boats of about that size have the space needed for having a small dinghy on the garage (inflated), not Bavaria that probably due to the charter use of some boats did not want to make the interior space significantly smaller.
Old 03-01-2017, 14:14   #5

polux, thank you so much for your input! i'll try to email bavaria. what i'd like is to have a 12ft tender with 15hp outboard that would fit in there. that's why i want the dimensions. i'd be willing to remove the outboard if necessary. the garage concept solves so many problems! ugly davits, visibility and nuisance issues stowing it on the bow. theft alone is a major benefit of the garage! as bavaria presents it, a 10 footer with a 5-10 hp outboard just doesn't cut it for that size boat. i'll figure it out. first i have to sell my villa in oaxaca and buy the thing! warm regards, coconutz
Old 03-01-2017, 18:53   #6

i don't know if it helps but you can see on the tender on the movie that the size is 310, that means probably 3.1m. You can see also that there is a Bavaria logo on the dinghy so probably they sub contracted someone to make a dinghy for them but I cannot find any information regarding that tender. Probably a Bavaria dealer can get that information for you.
Old 04-07-2017, 19:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
i don't know if it helps but you can see on the tender on the movie that the size is 310, that means probably 3.1m. You can see also that there is a Bavaria logo on the dinghy so probably they sub contracted someone to make a dinghy for them but I cannot find any information regarding that tender. Probably a Bavaria dealer can get that information for you.
They just came out with the new C57 and many relatively mint 56 can be get under $300k EUR.
Since you are familiar with different models, between a Bavaria 56 and a Beneteau Sense 50 at a similar price, which one would be a better boat?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:42   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

From what I can see in the video , it is a small outboard stowed with the leg above the motor (carburetor problems??) and a soft bottom roll away tender.

It looks great but I think this solution has more problems than a davit system with rigid bottom for a serious cruiser.

For me, the size and quality of a tender has a direct effect on my enjoyment of exploring new remote places.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:06   #9

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
From what I can see in the video , it is a small outboard stowed with the leg above the motor (carburetor problems??) and a soft bottom roll away tender.

It looks great but I think this solution has more problems than a davit system with rigid bottom for a serious cruiser.

For me, the size and quality of a tender has a direct effect on my enjoyment of exploring new remote places.

My opinion as well. Tender is your daily driver!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 13:02   #10

An option to consider is an F-Rib which still gives you the rigid bottom but folds into three pieces
TravelingAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 13:43   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, if you must deflate/inflate each time you use the garage, it will only be used for passages, not for local daily usage. So I suspect the dink will get towed a lot, and left in the water whilst at anchor. And all the while, you will be limited by a small, soft bottom dink.

Not a good solution at this size boat, I think. Loss of that volume (the garage) might be an issue for some folks, too. Seems more like a "feature" to attract a buyer who can't afford a real maxi but wants to appear to have all the perks available in such boats.

YMMV.

Jim
Old 05-07-2017, 13:52   #12

The new Bavaria C57 can fit a full inflated Williams tender, but appeared be close to twice the price of 56 available at he market now.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:56   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The design idea in itself of having swim grid level storage is nice.

You could store scuba and fishing gear and any other water/shore related equipment.
Davits for the tender is the most practical solution and could be styled to complement the yacht
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, tender