Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 20:16   #1

Marinas in Jamaica: any suggestion?

Hi sailor friends, we are going to bring our Jeanneau 57 down from Cuba to Jamaica around end of March, probably entering Jamaica through MoBay. Any suggestion on marinas around the island with at least 10 ft of water depth at their piers and good security to leave the boat unattended for few days?
Thanks
Luna Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 09:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Marinas in Jamaica: any suggestion?

There are only two I know for sure, the Montego Bay Yacht Club has slips and 24/7 security, and the Royal Jamaican YC in Kingston. There are a couple on the north side of the island east of MoBay that are principle used by sports fisherman, but I don't know the details. I can call around and get a suggestion if you are looking for a specific area.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 09:52   #3

Thanks Stumble, I am flexible on the location around the island as long as the marina is safe to leave the boat unattended for few days and there is 10 ft of water depth at the slip.
Old 30-01-2017, 11:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are entering MoBay then just head over to MoBayYC. It's only a couple of miles from the airport (to the west). I would probably suggest you just contact them directly, and be sure to mention if you are a member of a state side YC. In the past I have been very welcome there, and my mom (Jamaican resident) crashes their dock and restaurant from time to when she is in town.

Sadly due to their crazy high import tariffs the local boating community is small, and yacht services are hard to source, but the do exist. Small repairs and the like aren't hard to find, and labor I see very cheap ($10/day or so). But skilled work is next to impossible to rely on. And if you need any parts it I should often cheaper to buy a plane ticket to Miami and pick it up then fly back, than it is to buy them on the island.

If you decide to do some exploring outside of MoBay my mother owns a hotel on the south side of the island (Luna Sea Inn in bluefields) that I can quite honestly recommend about an hour away. She is a retired cruiser, am always enjoys cruisers to come visit.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 15:00   #5

Boat: 65' cat, sold

I wouldn't leave a boat at the Mo Bay yacht club. Good people but the dock facilities are terrible and I doubt that you can get 10' dockside. Port Antonio has good docking facilities and can handle 10' draft. Good security and good people.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 15:49   #6

Errol Flynn Marina in Port Antonio has depth and seems to be safe but really expensive. $2.2/ft/day!
Old 01-02-2017, 15:12   #7

Boat: Oyster 55

I have stayed at Errol Flynn Marina in Port Antonio on several occasions.
Found it safe, nice facility with friendly staff.
According to their current web site for boats under 50 ft transient dockage is $0.95/ft. boats 50-99 ft are $1.75/ft and over 100 ft is $2.25 ft. They do state multihulls are 1 1/2 x the regular rates. However I did not pay that for a side to dockage when I was last there.
They also have moorings and you can anchor in the harbor right next to the docks and use their facilities for $10/day.
If you do go to Jamaica be sure and take time to see some of the country, its quite beautiful.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Errol Flynn Marina in Port Antonio:
see website for current rates.
monohull $.95/ft/day
moorings OR anchoring $25/day
as of summer 2016
security excellent
20ft depth throughout harbor
Michael Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote