Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 19:25   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon
Morgan 44 or 45

The search continues for a bigger boat. Looking at a 1989 Morgan 44 and a 1995 Morgan 45. Each are a Nelson Marek design, the 44 is keel stepped the 45 is deck stepped. Witch would be the better offshore boat? Or would they both be a bad choice to take off shore?

thanks,

Lennie
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 20:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Morgan 44 or 45

Not familiar with the Nelson Marek Morgans so cannot comment on the build quality. Do you know if they were built at the same plant as the original Morgan's or contracted out?

Regarding keel vs deck stepped mast, I would not make the decision on that basis alone. Either one can be a safe, offshore boat if built right. I've had both and have a slight preference for a deck stepped mast.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 21:13   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

Both were built in Florida ay the Morgan plant. The 45 has something like 28 port lights that from what I gather need new seals over time. Fewer on the 44. Looking at a Moody 1984 42 in a few days. looks good online. We will see if it's as nice in person.
I see you have a Pearson 422, I hear that they are great boats. We love our 36 cutter but want an extra cabin. Go figure spent a ton of money getting ready to sail south and we find that we want a bigger boat!

Len
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Maybe I was thinking about another brand (Gulfstar?) that was built at different yards over their lifespan. I learned to sail on a 1973 Morgan OI 36 and over two years made a number of offshore passages including a very rough winter crossing of the Caribbean and had no significant problems with the basic boat structure. When I was shopping a few years ago I asked an old friend who has been surveying boats for about 40 years what he thought about Morgans in general. He rated them fairly high on the list of older production boats.

No idea what kind of ports on these boats but I've been overhauling the ports and hatches on my Pearson (all Bomars) and it wasn't hard at all. The seal was just a long piece of round foam looking stuff. Pulled out the old and the new self glued into the groove, cut the ends with a sharp razor, all done. Some may be a bit trickier. Have to say, if they can be made to not leak I would like more opening ports instead of fewer.

Overall I love the 422. Of course a few things that aren't perfect but mostly very minor. Very little on deck storage, no cockpit lockers. There were a lot of leaks in the deck fittings and a little wet core here and there (not unique to Pearson and I would worry about in any older boat). Boat has a LOT of thru-hulls, 11 below the waterline if I recall and that many or more right at the waterline. Wish the cockpit drains were 2" instead of 1.5". Would prefer an L shaped settee in the main cabin. All the lockers were lined with a foam backed vinyl that I'm pulling out.

Moody's have an excellent reputation. That brand was on my list but didn't find one in my size, price and area when I was shopping.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12   #5

The Morgan 45's are a beautiful boat. We looked at one in Mazatlan a few years back. They actually seem to be too nice, not sure if many have done much Bluewater cruising though. They seem capable though.
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
Both were built in Florida ay the Morgan plant. The 45 has something like 28 port lights that from what I gather need new seals over time. Fewer on the 44. Looking at a Moody 1984 42 in a few days. looks good online. We will see if it's as nice in person.
I see you have a Pearson 422, I hear that they are great boats. We love our 36 cutter but want an extra cabin. Go figure spent a ton of money getting ready to sail south and we find that we want a bigger boat!

Len
Port gaskets are a snap.... H shaped extrusion on a roll.... HudsonForce has done 'em, and has a lead on the rubber source...

edit: Missed the vintage... 84-95 might be a different port/gasket system!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:45   #7

I like the 44 more. Better layout

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
waywardsuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 17:24   #8

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

The 461 (one mast) or the 462 (ketch) are true blue water hulls. Morgan made some good ones and some not so good but the only real complaint on these production boats are that they came with only ONE bilge pump (mine has three). Long as your talking 45 feet, go one more and get a good boat that will round the Horn (mine did) and ride like a Cadillac in rough seas. They need ten knots to step lively, though and go to weather fairly well and motorsail to weather pointing much higher.

I'm selling mine though cause I can't sail anymore. Hope somebody good gets it...
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan