Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 10:21   #46

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the catalinas are finally being built with a metal toerail and thru bolts every 6" on a turned in flange. they still have the fiberglass interiors being glued and dropped into the hull which is not so great. wiring and plumbing is difficult or impossible to access or enhance because of that. but the finished product looks good and sells like hotcakes.
Catalinas were being through bolted prior to adding the aluminum toe rail.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:45   #47

Boat: Catalina 30

They also are running all of their wires through an oversized conduit system so wire replacement or additions will be much easier.

Like I said for being a production boat they do alot of things well.

Things like full collision bulk heads just aft of the anchor locker, interior structual grid system bonded to the hull which allows all the furniture to be stand alone and non-structual, better quality joinery work compared to similar production boats, Lead Keels, the rudders have a designed failure point 1/3 of the way up so in the event of a hard rudder grounding only the bottom portion will break away leaving you with some steerage and theoretically no leaking holes in the transom where your rudder post used to be, the mast stays pass through the deck and gain most of their strength from being attached further down towards the keel putting very little load on the deck for mast support.

Someone else here put it best. Not everyone can afford an oyster and not everyone wants to restore a classic.

I will say though that I would much rather take a new Catalina 355 trans oceanic right out of the box rather then take a rotted refurbished HC36. (was that comment too soon?)
Old 16-09-2014, 11:01   #48
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Is it Illusion or Delusion? Somehow you are missing the point. If you can't find a quality boat in that price range in today's buyers market you most certainly lack the expertise to make an adequate assessment.

OP, keep looking. A bonifide search will pay off, mine did and I believe there are others who will attest to that based on their own experience. If you do not have sufficient knowledge to assess the pros and cons of a particular vessel search out someone who does. It will save you a lot of future heartache.

BZT
We have a Cherubini designed Hunter 36 (1982). We've been cruising full-time for two years now. Texas-Bahamas-Georgia-Bahamas-back to Texas. No problems. We've had plenty of Hunters and Catalinas anchored nearby in many places, so they ain't just "dock queens". Mostly 42'-45'. Out of 8 boats anchored with us in Rock Sound, Eleuthera, 5 of us were on Hunters.

If you are actually out cruising (not cruising the forums), you'll see plenty of owners enjoying their "production" boats. It's hard to believe people would choose one if one believes posts like on this thread. Surely, it is likely to just fall apart and sink! Surprising that the manufacturers are still around after all these years...

After 4 Gulf Stream crossings, the Tongue of the Ocean, Exuma Sound, and the Atlantic, we still live! Before we left Texas, we hauled out and replaced the rudder (bent during Hurricane Ike), thru-hulls and hoses, and had a professional inspect the standing rigging. Just about any well maintained boat can safely sail the Gulf Coast, East Coast, and Bahamas. Likewise, a poorly maintained (your favorite "blue water") boat can lose it's rig, or sink due to a bad hose or rudder failure.

For the haters out there, give it up....unless you disagree with what I just posted. Enjoy your Slocum, or Tayana, or whatever you sail. But I guarantee you are going to see a Hunter or Catalina in the anchorage where ever you are.

Ralph
Things to do in Rock Sound | sailing away with R & B
Old 16-09-2014, 11:33   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the catalinas are finally being built with a metal toerail and thru bolts every 6" on a turned in flange. they still have the fiberglass interiors being glued and dropped into the hull which is not so great. wiring and plumbing is difficult or impossible to access or enhance because of that. but the finished product looks good and sells like hotcakes.
Other than the "selling like hotcakes," the rest is utter nonsense, drivel and just plain wrong.

Interiors are in fiberglass with wood trim, access is great at everything, and the hull to deck joint is just fine.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 16-09-2014, 12:24   #50

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We have a Cherubini designed Hunter 36 (1982). We've been cruising full-time for two years now. Texas-Bahamas-Georgia-Bahamas-back to Texas. No problems. We've had plenty of Hunters and Catalinas anchored nearby in many places, so they ain't just "dock queens". Mostly 42'-45'. Out of 8 boats anchored with us in Rock Sound, Eleuthera, 5 of us were on Hunters.

If you are actually out cruising (not cruising the forums), you'll see plenty of owners enjoying their "production" boats. It's hard to believe people would choose one if one believes posts like on this thread. Surely, it is likely to just fall apart and sink! Surprising that the manufacturers are still around after all these years...

After 4 Gulf Stream crossings, the Tongue of the Ocean, Exuma Sound, and the Atlantic, we still live! Before we left Texas, we hauled out and replaced the rudder (bent during Hurricane Ike), thru-hulls and hoses, and had a professional inspect the standing rigging. Just about any well maintained boat can safely sail the Gulf Coast, East Coast, and Bahamas. Likewise, a poorly maintained (your favorite "blue water") boat can lose it's rig, or sink due to a bad hose or rudder failure.

For the haters out there, give it up....unless you disagree with what I just posted. Enjoy your Slocum, or Tayana, or whatever you sail. But I guarantee you are going to see a Hunter or Catalina in the anchorage where ever you are.

Ralph
Glad to hear someone with experience vs. the ubiquitous internet expert opinion.
Old 16-09-2014, 12:27   #51

Boat: Beneteau 393

I had a Hunter and it was a fine boat

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-09-2014, 12:28   #52

Boat: Beneteau 393

But love my Beneteau 393!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-09-2014, 12:30   #53

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I have a handheld kestrel. I don't have a wind anemometer hard wired. I usually sail by boat feel, rather than absolute value. The wind that day was 12 knots steady with gusts to 15, and the sea state was very mild. The kite cam was about 300 feet up.

Importantly, I was out sailing with my daughters, and we were having a great time, on our Hunter, which we love. We had anchored out and watched the bright moon rise the night before and then watched the sun rise over the water in the morning while drinking coffee from our coffee press.

Regarding the OP, if you love the boat, and you can enjoy her, the brand itself matters little. It's the love of the vessel that keeps her up and going.
Find a catalina or hunter that you can afford, enjoy, and love.

Ben
Ben, thank you for both your posts. I particularly liked this last paragraph and it really sums it all up, doesn't it?

BTW, your video was lovely.
Old 16-09-2014, 12:34   #54

Quote:
You can see us under way at: Sailing Dawn with Go Pro on a kite. Steered by CPT Wheel pilot. - YouTube
On this day, it was 15 knots, on the nose. You'll be able to see how easy she was going. We were doing 6 knots into the wind.

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1989 37.5 hunter legend
Nice video.

Have you ever thought of flying the kite and camera on a 80 or 100lb test fishing line? It would get the rope out of the shot and make it look like you were being followed by a helicopter.

Just a thought.
Old 16-09-2014, 12:58   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

Ralph
Most people would rate the Cherubini Hunters quiet high. And it is true, most Hunters and Catalinas will not be going the ARC or Transpac, and as such, are well suited to their likely use. Hunter as a manufacturer has had some financial issues, perhaps resolved with Marlow owning them, Catalina has as far as we can tell, been financially stable.

Most scantlings are third party anyways, so that should not make a difference; what may make a difference, if they are "just good enough" or some of the more critical ones more robust.

A lead keel is always preferred for many reasons, although no one item can be the sole decision making point.
Old 16-09-2014, 13:20   #56

I would be curious to hear Markj's opinion on all this. He circumnavigated in a Beneteau which fits right in line with Jeaneaus, Catalinas, and Hunters. I have only peeked at his blog but he seems to have survived the trip fairly well.
Old 16-09-2014, 14:13   #57

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post

Nice video.

Have you ever thought of flying the kite and camera on a 80 or 100lb test fishing line? It would get the rope out of the shot and make it look like you were being followed by a helicopter.

Just a thought.
Not to jack the thread....I have thought of monofilament line. I will try that next season. I have been having too much fun to change out the line. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for checking out the video.

Ben
Old 16-09-2014, 18:43   #58
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
I have a handheld kestrel. I don't have a wind anemometer hard wired. I usually sail by boat feel, rather than absolute value. The wind that day was 12 knots steady with gusts to 15, and the sea state was very mild. The kite cam was about 300 feet up.

Importantly, I was out sailing with my daughters, and we were having a great time, on our Hunter, which we love. We had anchored out and watched the bright moon rise the night before and then watched the sun rise over the water in the morning while drinking coffee from our coffee press.

Regarding the OP, if you love the boat, and you can enjoy her, the brand itself matters little. It's the love of the vessel that keeps her up and going.
Find a catalina or hunter that you can afford, enjoy, and love.

Ben
Ben, “…the brand itself matters little”??? Where did you grow up, Russia? I can’t wait to tell my neighbor that my Honda is just as good as his Mercedes because brand doesn’t matter. Look at all the money you wasted! Riiiiiiight.

I was the purchaser for Rybovich Boats. Ask the owners of a Rybo why they chose it over a Bertram, Hatteras, etc . It's called quality. The fact is Hunters, Cats, Benes and a number of other production boats suffer from what I call the Gumby Syndrome. They all flex and oil can, why, because their interior liners are what strengthens their less than adequate hull lay-ups. Have you ever walked through a yard and seen some of these boats on jack stands? I like dimples on babies, not on a boat I intend to take to sea. OP, don’t be conned. Brand DOES matter.

If you are looking for a coastal cruiser or something to go to the islands the choices are abundant particularly with your budget. Hunters and Cats fit right in. Go Blue Water and you are talking about a different animal.

Although it may seem that some of us are bashing Hunters and Cats we are basically bashing the premise that this is the only option open to you. The Hunter and Cat owners as you can see love their boats and rightfully so. Some of them made the right choice for the type of sailing they do, others well…. they just want you to color within the lines of your original post because they know they could have done better.

Going outside the lines with your search will prove to be a most interesting experience. You may just stumble upon a gem.

BZT
Old 16-09-2014, 19:09   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
... Although it may seem that some of us are bashing Hunters and Cats we are basically bashing the premise that this is the only option open to you. The Hunter and Cat owners as you can see love their boats and rightfully so. Some of them made the right choice for the type of sailing they do, others well…. they just want you to color within the lines of your original post because they know they could have done better.

Going outside the lines with your search will prove to be a most interesting experience. You may just stumble upon a gem.

BZT
What he said ^
Old 16-09-2014, 19:11   #60
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
I will be sailing. Coastal. Keys. Bahamas. Eventually Caribbean.
BZT-The OP asked which direction to go? Hunter or Catalina. Why all of your mumbo jumbo?

I hear Cape Horn calling you and your Slocum 37....

and guess what....The Honda will get you to work, school, the grocery store, and out of town for vacation, just as well as the Mercedes.

Ralph
Closed Thread

Tags
catalina, hunter