Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 13:49   #1

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Walker Bay Odyssey 270AF Dinghy...is it good?

I'm considering the purchase of a Walker Bay inflatable dinghy, the 270AF (air floor) model in HPVC.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this model, or the similar 240af or 310af.

I like that it rolls up for easy storage. I'll be using it on a 30 foot sailboat (I hope, still searching) mostly in the 1000 islands region east of Kingston Canada, on Lake Ontario.

There's one for sale locally at an attractive price, so your comments will help me decide if I should get it.

In particular, I can't find any info on the valves...what type, how robust, and if they are user replaceable/repairable.

The "lightweight" oars look like a joke. I think they would break if given some serious use. I've searched online and can't find any closeups of the oarlocks to see how robust they are. FWIW, I had a zodiac which I preferred to row, and I quickly broke an oarlock and later an oar...they were not meant for use.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	od-01.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	144949  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:09   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Walker Bay Odyssey 270AF Dinghy...is it good?

The inflatable dinghy oars are intended for emergency usage, w/ a small outboard as the primary propulsion.

Get a rowing dinghy if that is the intended propulsion.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7

Must be nice to practice your docking techniques on a dinghy first
Homesweeetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 12:01   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a Walker Bay inflatable dinghy, the 270AF (air floor) model in HPVC.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this model, or the similar 240af or 310af.

I like that it rolls up for easy storage. I'll be using it on a 30 foot sailboat (I hope, still searching) mostly in the 1000 islands region east of Kingston Canada, on Lake Ontario.

There's one for sale locally at an attractive price, so your comments will help me decide if I should get it.

In particular, I can't find any info on the valves...what type, how robust, and if they are user replaceable/repairable.

The "lightweight" oars look like a joke. I think they would break if given some serious use. I've searched online and can't find any closeups of the oarlocks to see how robust they are. FWIW, I had a zodiac which I preferred to row, and I quickly broke an oarlock and later an oar...they were not meant for use.

Thanks!
We have a 310 AF but in Hypalon and cannot recommend it. To be fair our usage was quite harsh since we used it year round in the tropics. The hypalon was fine as were the valves. The problems were with the join between the tubes and transom and, in particular, the air floor. We were constantly making repairs to the transom joint where it kept separating. The air floor was not well made. It would get small leaks that we would repair only to have additional ones happen within a week or so. We finally took it to a professional inflatable repair place in South Africa and the guy said that every time he repaired a hole he would put up the floor and find another hole.

I contacted Walker Bay about the air floor problem (the transom came a few years later) and got a complete brush off that verged on the rude. I would never buy another one of their products.

The oars are not meant for serious use, you need a small O/B, but this would be true of any similar inflatable.
Old 19-04-2017, 12:38   #5

Thanks for the comments. The local WB that came up was only a year old, and asking $500. So it was pretty attractive.

But I like to row. And it became clear pretty quick that this boat is not intended for rowing. I'd rather not have to buy an outboard as well...plus all the fuss of an outboard, gas, weight, maintenance etc.

FWIW, I offered the guy $400, and was glad when he sold it for $500 to someone else.

My preference is for an AVON. They are built very well for rowing with wood oars and solid oarlocks. But used Avons are hard to find around here.

I might get a Saturn 11 foot for $1395 brand new.
11' Saturn Inflatable Boat | saturninflatableboats.ca
Old 02-08-2017, 07:11   #6

Hi there - did you ever solve your dinghy dilemma? I have the same needs (though i am in Toronto, headed east your way).

Based on the comments here, I will pass on the Walker bays. The Saturns look to be a cheap alternative but I would imagine the workmanship may be similar to WB.

For propulsion if i can i am trying to find a propane outboard. Tohatsu and Lehr make them and that way I'll only have two fuels to deal with (diesel and propane for the OB the the stove and eventually a BBQ.)
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:19   #7

WalkerBay styling is great. Customer service sucks. Quaklity ??? Oars are ok. Oar locks will pop out with only minimal pressure. Replacement oar locks are about $38. I have fabricated my own replacement parts. Air floor is pvc and if you pressurize to their specs a seam will open up. I've patched my floor 3 times (had a pro do it the first time). I feel comfortable only pressurizing to 7psi and it still looses air.

If you pass on the air floor you will have less problems. Better yet...spend a few hundred more and buy something better. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barold View Post
The Saturns look to be a cheap alternative but I would imagine the workmanship may be similar to WB.
A purchased a Yamaha 4 outboard that came attached to a Saturn inflatable boat. I think it was around 11 feet with an inflatable floor. When I purchased it, it was partially inflated and a real mess. The previous owner had used it as a fishing boat. However, once I cleaned it up I found it to be really nice. I've owned several other brands of inflatables...AirConcept, Avon, Zodiac, etc...and this one was one of the nicest. In particular, there is extra tape on the tube bottoms where they drag on the ground/beach. There were also air pressure release valves for overpressure. I can see these saving the boat on a hot summer day. The tubes were big, and it was easily pushed by the 4hp outboard. However, I already had an Avon, so I sold the Saturn. I was impressed by it though, and I would not hesitate to purchase a new Saturn, or recommend them.

I like to row. Avon boats come with wood oars and reliable, usable oarlocks. I've found that most inflatable boats have oars and oarlocks that are just for show, and break if ever actually used. My specific experience was with a brand new Zodiac. I broke the oarlocks, and then one of the cheap plastic/aluminum oars snapped in two.

Tags
dinghy