Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 22:38   #1

Location: Sailing the Mediterranean for 5 years and now sailing in USA
Boat: Lagoon 450
Excess Baggage Australia to Athens

My wife and I are leaving Australia to return to our boat in Aegina Island Greece (in 10 days) and surprise, surprise we have around 15-20 kgs in excess baggage.

Travelling with Qatar they want $50 US per kilo-so it would be cheaper to buy another ticket and get the 30 kg allowance.

I am exploring options but thought maybe there are a few other Australians that have successfully dealt economically with this problem.

All advice gratefully accapted
riv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 22:53   #2

Re: Excess Baggage Australia to Athens

Take out the cheapest 15 to 20 kg of cloths etc and leave in Oz. If Qatar have no other excess baggage options you need to look at what is going in the bags that can be re-purchased the other end. The cost of export from Oz to Greece then importing it the other end will make it cheaper to purchase anew when you arrive.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 23:47   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Fedex or DHL?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:53   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Dump the excess or wear it or put in your pockets
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:45   #5

You should also be allowed carry on luggage, usually 7 kg. As well, you can carry on a computer bag. Last time, mine was a back pack with about 10kg of electronics and boat gear. We once got 80 kg over including a medium sized washing machine, all"within" the weight limits. They usually allow 10% overweight Another time we took over a flat pack cupboard 1.2mx1mx.5m. But we have also learned that much of what we took is readily available in Greece and won't cost you that much more
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:48   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Is there the option to send it as unaccompanied baggage, the rates used to be significantly cheaper than excess baggage.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 21:33   #7

Location: Sailing the Mediterranean for 5 years and now sailing in USA
Boat: Lagoon 450

Thankyou to all who have replied with your advice

Uncle Bob-yes unaccompanied baggage is a good option at the moment and looks to be around $8-10kg plus a few fees that I still have finalise when they open on Monday(this is Jetta Express)

Dlym-I like your style the washing machine must have attracted a fair bit of attention.
Certainly we will be pushing the limits ourselves
-Qatar say on their WS 30kg plus 7 kgs hand baggage, a small briefcase, coat, umbrella, camera and reading material
I also agree a lot of what we have bought probably is available in Greece,the big thing is finding it
-that can also cost in time ,taxis hire car-as it is I still have a fair shopping list when we get to Greece

Left Brain Stuff-yes we are leaving a case with rejected clothes etc in Australia and will take the advise on filling my pockets .

SailorMed
I have used fedex and DHL in US and Europe before but in this case their cost is off the reasonable scale

PaulinOz
-Thanks for your advice and defiantly are leaving things behind but as I mentioned it can be difficult to source some things that I can find readily here-by the way We were in QLD (Airlie Beach-Townsville) kept an eye out for your boat as I would loved to have had a close up on your hardtop-looks excellent
riv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 22:04   #8

The small briefcase might not be weighed. A friend once held mine while I checked in the luggage and then handed it to me after I left the counter. Inside was every device, cord, hard drive that could relate to a computer. In amongst that were snap shackles, walkie talkies, a chartplotter etc.

Aegina looks like a busy place and I think that it's a fairly short trip to Piraeus on a ferry. Although a lot of Greek ports look like there's no chandlery, when you look around a bit there are usually a few. If the marina charges more than 15 euros a day, there's probably a chandlery. It's intriguing to buy rope by the kilo and it seems to be fairly cheap.

In Italy, we found a chandlery that was only 4 metres wide and about 10 metres deep. We discovered that it went down 3 floors and was absolutely packed with every sailor's dreams.

We will be in Aegina on May 20-21. We're helping my BIL to bring his Helia 44 across to the Ionian. He's sick of being pounded and blown across the sea. We've been sailing in the Ionian for 4 years now and enjoy it. Corfu is great.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 20:01   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I might be too late on this, but check what they allow for sports equipment. The airline we use charges for extra bags, but allows 1 free golf or dive bag each.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 22:42   #10

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Fedex or DHL?
Both the hell, look for another "no name" forwarder. I was charged customs & vat & storage fees & arrestre fees based on 500$ worth, that includes "aircargo xpress" for a replacement rubber gasket real price 50cent! I rejected this shipment.

EU is one tax union, shipment prices vary, germany nowadays has fair prices, both on goods and shipment, gb mostly cheaper, but more expensive cargo. For price idea look @ svb.de - of course, try to source in GR too, plenty boats there.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia