Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 00:41   #1

Boat: Wharram Narai 40
Buy In Australia

Hi All,

I live in Australia so want to buy a boat here and start here. I want to spend roughly 20k on the boat preferably over 30ft and want to be able to sail around south east Asia and the pacific. I would like a boat that is able to circumnavigate if I decide to do that. I have seen a few threads about all this low budget boat buying but all in America. So need some help with looking for a capable offshore boat in Australia and what to look for. I don’t need anything fancy I just want cheap and capable that has a bed and somewhere to cook food.

I have some sailing experience (lived on a cat for a couple years when I was younger) but since then have only sailed a couple times. I don’t really know what to look for when looking at a boat and what boats to look at.

What I am really asking is how can you tell if the boat will be capable of extended offshore sailing while still being cheap?

Has anyone from Aus bought and fitted out a boat for under 30k?

So far my route includes Indonesia, Philippines, PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, New Caledonia and back to Australia. But want to be able to do more and maybe go to Hawaii and Tahiti.

If anything please point me to some threads that will help.

Thanks
Jack
Mentosfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Buy In Australia

Bigger than 30' is going to be hard. I think you can buy 30' boats for $20k in Australia, but $10k would probably not be enough to make any of them ready to go bluewater. You would be taking a massive risk.

If you are determined to go perhaps you might consider a Top Hat 25? They are cheap, fairly common in Australia and word is they are very solid. At least one has circumnavigated. You might just be able to get a good one for well under $20k and make it ready to go somewhere adventurous for another $10k.

It sounds like you are not well funded so you are taking on a high risk adventure anyway you cut it. If you are fit enough for that kind of adventure you can probably get work at stops along the Australian coast to improve your boat's safety before you take it anywhere adventurous.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:21   #3

Boat: None yet

Yachthub has most of everything for sale listed in Oz for any size boat but whether or not you'll get anything over 30' for 20K that is capable of cruising from the get-go is another matter.If you were to go up to 30K there are several IMHO...which doesn't count for much,that will get you there.Yacht brokers like realestate sales people have magic cameras that make everything look good IMO...gotta go see 'em to find that out I guess.
K.I.S.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:45   #4

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

After having sailed around z for the last 2 years, I can assure you that you will never find anything seaworthy in Australia for anywhere near 30k that you could do any off shore sailing. The prices here are ridiculous as with everything else. Most cruisers avoid Oz due to the cost of living here as opposed to almost anywhere else in the world.

I would suggest that you look for something in Asia or even the US or Canada and then start your journey from there.

Don't mean to get down your dreams just being realistic.

To give you an example, we stopped by a broker on the Gold coast and he said he would list our boat for triple what we paid for it in Asia.

Good Luck
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:27   #5

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

The modified top hat that recently circumnavigated was for sale (I think from memory) under $20k a while back.

I'm sure something decent is available occasionally.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:02   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

There's a Swanson 28 for sale in Queenscliff Victoria for under $10k. Needs a new engine and goodness knows what else but if you are handy it would be worth at least checking it out. They are VERY big inside and seaworthy to boot.

Also, remember that many boats sell at around two thirds of their advertised price, at least here in Oz, so you may be able to afford something that is listed out of your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-02-2017, 14:53   #7

There seems to be a few boats in the 20k range on yachthub so wondering how you can tell if it would be seaworthy of the trip? is it just researching the make/builder?

Might have to consider starting in the US I guess. I just wanted to avoid paying the duty upon arrival back in Oz.

The next question would be what is it like for a foreigner to buy in America? Anything that makes it hard or any rules/laws?

Thanks for the quick replies
Old 06-02-2017, 15:08   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buy In Australia

Nice looking Nic 32..
Used Nicholson 32 Classic Seaworthy Sloop for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:35   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

With a budget of around $20k and a wish to buy larger than 30 ft, and being ‘bluewater’ suitable, makes it pretty tough. In addition to the purchase price you may need to budget for extra equipment, repairs or update. Then there is Oz registration at $1500 as those kind of yachts are generally not registered on the national register and add insurance if you so inclined or want to enter marinas.

There is another consideration. Some of the places you mentioned may be lacking wind, so motoring is called for. In the types/size of boat you are looking at the fuel capacity is often very small.

Some suggestions, concentrating on Australian boats, or available here:

* There are a few older H27 around mostly timber that will fit in your budget, but be aware some may need a lot of work and money to bring up to scratch.

* As mentioned a Top Hat might suit you as well, good sailing boats, they are available in cold moulded ply or GRP, but smallish inside. Some with a diesel engine, others have an outboard. I like them!

* There quite a few home built yachts in this size in steel, in particular Tempest 33 ft by Boro, but the finish and equipment vary greatly, here is one a smaller version of such tempest. Boro steel sloop | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Rockingham Area - Rockingham | 1137834764 The Tempest come up regularly from $10k to $30k and often $30k is overpriced.

* There are some Vandestadt designs in steel on the market at times close to your budget. Generally better boats than the Boro ones.

* Other boats by Roberts in steel or even GRP might come up close to your price range. I know of one in GRP, 33 ft, asking $45k, but more realistically $28-30k.

* Still in steel, and a more 'salty' one: a Tahiti ketch (30ft) often comes up close to your budget. TAHITI KETCH sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

* Compass 28, Duncanson 29, Clansman 30, Columbia 9.6 (31 ft designed by Alan Payne) all in GRP, and all come up regularly for $30k or less asking price, and selling price maybe in your budget. I sailed the first two, and would be happy to make such trip in these boats. I have been on but not sailed on such Columbia, hmmm not sure if they come up under $30k come to think of it, but otherwise one of the best boats? If you see one, check it out!!!!
COLUMBIA 9.6 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

* Still in GRP, if you can find a Spirit 28 (Vandestadt design)…… they come up at times prices above $20k… that would be my pick (after the Columbia), as they are roomy, sail quite well, are very capable boats, but a bit lighter built compared with the previous four.

* Then of course there are ferro boats. You can choose any size and buy well under $20k. Hartley Queenslander (34 ft) or Southseas (38 ft), Hartley RORC (39 ft, a surprisingly good sailing boat), Sampson C mist (32 ft), C-shell (36 ft), C-spirit (40 ft)
Hmm, just noticed this Used Samson 36 Foot Samson C-shell for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
I know this boat very well, used to be a ketch….. but $60k????? A good boat when I last saw it, but price is over the top in my opinion.

I sailed on all the above boats except for the Clansman, Columbia and C-mist.
Old 06-02-2017, 16:54   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Mentos, just re-reading your first post.... I took it you want to sail SE Asia, now, I noticed you may want to circumnavigate. Maybe take the first 2 Hartleys off my list then, and maybe also remove the Boros, unless they are very well setup, and I never seen an under 40 ft Boro well equipped / set up.
Old 06-02-2017, 16:55   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

In the last 6 months I have surveyed a Kings Cruiser and a Nichoson 32 that both sold for under $20,000. Both boats had circumnavigated and still had most of the equipment onboard. The downside was that both were cosmetically very rough. So you can find a good boat you just have to shop around. Keep an eye on Gumtree and if you are handy with tools I think you will find a bargain.

Good Luck
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 23:55   #12

I think I will find a cheap ish boat, found a few clansman 30s that seem alright but will require some money spent to get it up to scratch.

Thanks for all your help, I will keep researching and waiting for that deal.

What do you guys think of Peterson 30s, Endeavour 30, clansman 30, compass 30 and traditional 30?
Old 07-02-2017, 02:25   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentosfly View Post
I think I will find a cheap ish boat, found a few clansman 30s that seem alright but will require some money spent to get it up to scratch.

Thanks for all your help, I will keep researching and waiting for that deal.

What do you guys think of Peterson 30s, Endeavour 30, clansman 30, compass 30 and traditional 30?
I know someone with a Van DeStadt Dogger (31'), professionally built in the early to mid seventies in marine ply and NZ Kauri. Has been refitted a couple of times in her life and is in tip top coastal cruising condition. Last refit in the early 2000's saw her taken back to bare timber inside and out, some ply replaced in deck and epoxy coated inside and out. Glass below the waterline and on deck.

All new rigging and chainplates then but could probably do with the chainplates removed and inspected and perhaps new standing rigging before heading off on a circumnav. Sails are pretty good.

New engine (2GM20), stern gear and tank around 2004 with less 350 hours currently.

Good ground tackle, new electric winch last year and a battery upgrade; all electrical wiring in very good condition.

Raced successfully extensively in early life and later cruised the west coast of Oz, Indonesia and Darwin. Last long trip from the west coast to the east coast across the Great Australian Bight (single handed) a few years back.

Probably available for sub 15K but not listed for sale.

PM me if you would like more info and I can put you in touch with the owner, he would be happy to talk to a genuine buyer.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15   #14

Boat: None yet

I've been thinking about this Westsail 33 and it says make an offer...1 owner.

Used Westsail 33 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
K.I.S.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 23:54   #15

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.S.S View Post
I've been thinking about this Westsail 33 and it says make an offer...1 owner.

Used Westsail 33 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Traditional long keeled cruisers like Westsails do not seem to be well regarded here in Australia. They seem to be much cheaper here than in the US.

If you like the boat you will probably get a serious bargain. It's in Freemantle. The WA economy is totally dead right now. Everything in WA is cheap. Bur I don't think getting any boat from Perth to anywhere is easy. That's your problem - if you bought it how would you get it to NSW?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia