Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 06:46   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22
How to Sail the Caribbean part time for a few years??

I'm looking at buying a 30 ft +/- monohull in the Caribbean and sailing part time while still working. I work in the oil and gas business and have a schedule of 2 weeks working and 2 weeks off. While I can't return to the boat every 2 weeks off, I do plan on once every 2/3 months.
While I'm the boat, I will be living at anchor and out exploring and sailing.

What would be the best way to store the boat while gone? Should I rent a slip in a marina? If I did that I would have to return that marina and couldn't island hop. Should I pull the boat out of the water and store on the hard each time I leave? Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:55   #2

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: How to Sail the Caribbean part time for a few years??

You might consider buying a boat and putting it into the charter fleet, and black out the dates you plan to use it.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to Sail the Caribbean part time for a few years??

Just put her in a marina at the last island you get to before flying home.. then next time you go out settle up and move on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
You might consider buying a boat and putting it into the charter fleet, and black out the dates you plan to use it.

I've thought about that but this will be my first boat purchase. I wanted to buy an older more affordable boat before I move up and sail around the world.
Old 31-03-2017, 06:59   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

You may be better off just chartering. Then you could let someone else deal with the maintenance and the struggles of absentee ownership. Chartering would also let you pick different locales.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
You may be better off just chartering. Then you could let someone else deal with the maintenance and the struggles of absentee ownership. Chartering would also let you pick different locales.

I want to deal with all the struggles of boat ownership. That is the best way to learn.
Old 31-03-2017, 07:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
I want to deal with all the struggles of boat ownership. That is the best way to learn.
no you don't....not on the limited time you have...you want to go sailing, you don't want your time off to be maintenance and that's what will happen.

By a boat to put into the charter fleet or charter a boat. If you are an oil man, you have more than enough money for a down payment on a nice charter worthy boat. Let them deal with the hassles.

When you are ready to retire and or are just ready to liveaboard, THEN you can start worrying about maintenance.
Old 31-03-2017, 07:50   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I would think about keeping the boat in a marina. Also consider the varying costs of flights - some destinations are just cheaper to get to than others - largely a function of how many tourists visit. Safes to keep the boat in Grenada during hurricane season. It is doable, we met an Aussie in Tahiti who worked in a mine in the interior of Oz and flew to Tahiti between work sessions. Any chance you could talk your employer into letting you work 4 weeks and then get 4 weeks off? Less travel and more time on the boat.
Old 31-03-2017, 07:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
no you don't....not on the limited time you have...you want to go sailing, you don't want your time off to be maintenance and that's what will happen.

By a boat to put into the charter fleet or charter a boat. If you are an oil man, you have more than enough money for a down payment on a nice charter worthy boat. Let them deal with the hassles.

When you are ready to retire and or are just ready to liveaboard, THEN you can start worrying about maintenance.

You make a convincing argument. What charter program would you put your boat into?
Old 31-03-2017, 08:01   #10

Listen to the Sail Loot Podcast....There is one two part episode that discusses putting a boat into the fleet....episodes 41 and 42 with Wiley Sharp, he's down in the USVI and BVI Caribbean and consults for those programs....You will learn all you every wanted to know after listening to that, the good and the bad.

http://www.sailloot.com/category/podcast/
Old 31-03-2017, 08:27   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

As some have included you have 2 problems. Short term berth rental is several times dearer than seasonal so you are putting up costs significantly if you move each time. There are limited islands with good international airports. Depending on which island you are on you can find flight times and costs vary a lot. Due to security issues I would definitely say you want to start with a marina you trust for the first season with a manager that can sort out and report any problems when you are not there. My advice would be to start with a season on one island while you get the feel of it all. Lots of choice for a base and there will be other islands you can visit in 2 weeks, I doubt you will run out of places to go!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:32   #12
Marine Service Provider

While I agree that you might be better off with a charter boat Panama presents
a good opportunity to pursue your plan at a reasonable price. Quite a few seasonal sailors here who enjoy frequent and often inexpensive flights, ample an inexpensive provisions and a multitude of great anchorages, reasonable marinas and services, two oceans, no hurricanes.
Russ Goedjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:47   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Or alternatively buy and keep the boat by your home port. Parts are close and cheap. No days of flight between. Do the learn that you want and have the distant ports for a future goal. Those maintenance and upgrade tasks take way more time that you can probably imagine. Plus getting parts is hard enough in the states. Plus with an older boat a single maintenance item usually blooms into 3 additional tasks. Plus the additional parts and tools that you didn't anticipate.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:54   #14

I would think about chartering if they have any smaller boats these days. By the time you add up :
-insurance, hurricane zone?
-storage and hauling or slip fees,
-having the bottom cleaned before you get there, it will be loaded
-normal maintenance, bottom work and
-prepping the boat each time you return... Dirty etc
-the likelihood of theft of items/electronics, dingy etc while you are gone.

...chartering may be great. Also, that allows you to start wherever you want without a time constraint....
Make a list, add $ up and see what you think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:03   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Chartering is certainly an option to consider.

2 weeks at a time with a boat in storage can be tough. It will take you at least a few days to get her ready to go again (and thats if there are no problems...stuff on boats breaks even when just stored) and then a couple days to put here back to bed again. Thats 5 days, plus at least 2 travel days...now you have one week to sail.

And, there will be times when the full time you have available gets consumed by boat maintenance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail, sailing