Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46   #1

Paper charts: Maptech vs NV

I am about to buy a bunch of east coast/Florida chart kits. Anyone used both Maptech and NV? Maptech are about 2x the price of NV. Is there any reason they are better?

NV paper charts come with free digital versions, which is a nice feature for the iPad. Anyone used them?

Finally, groupthink seems to indicate Explorer are far better than either Maptech or NV for the Bahamas. Any contrary opinions?

Thanks,

RD
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Paper charts: Maptech vs NV

Paper NV look like reprints of Maptech. Are they not?

We used NV digital charts on our Android and they were just great. Except their App was only soso. Given the fact that they were free, they get my five out of five rating for area from Grenada to Virgins.

I know they offered Bahamas too. Can you not just go online and download the Bahamas batch?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Paper NV look like reprints of Maptech. Are they not?
My understanding is the NV are custom charts based on the NOAA data. I think Maptech is based on the same data, but customized differently. Sounds like the NV charts are highly customized and supplemented with additional survey data. I am basing all this on: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: NV Charts: vector/raster paper & digital, US too
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09   #4

We had both (older Maptech, then NV) and can't remember much difference. In some areas they LOOKED exactly the same.

Extra data? HAHAHA! I bet they are all reprints from older material. I would be hugely surprised if NV ever did any survey in the West Indies.

Go sail Antigua waters with NV and see if there is any extra data where it counts. Their soundings were way off, at times up to 5 or more meters off in areas with only 10 meters of water or less! And so are all other soundings there. Extra data.

But they are good charts - easy to read, quick to interpret and we have not hit anything using them in pretty dense areas.

I bet you will be very happy with either and then Bahamas must be plenty of eyeball navigation methinks.

Cheers,
b.
Old 02-09-2014, 16:23   #5

Just having a look at some of the comments against paper charts. May I remind the knockers that GPS and electronics on board are normally blown by a lightning strike or near miss which is why paper charts are so necessary. GPS and electronics are an AID to navigation and to be used in conjunction with charts. I've now had to revert to paper on 4 occasions. Cheap charts can be had at "The Chart Shop", Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia. My last purchase was Aus$5 per chart and they ship all over the world. Worth a look for you.
Capt.Ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Ger View Post
Just having a look at some of the comments against paper charts.

(...)
???

Can't see any.

b.
Old 02-09-2014, 17:23   #7
cruiser

I haven't trusted Maptech since I noticed an episode with a light. The light was removed ten years ago or more, and when Maptech finally caught up, they removed the symbol for the light, but left the line of text with the characteristics of the light.

I stick to NOAA POD and PDFs.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:34   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

NV are Germans? Using the NOAA chart data as their base?

That would be most improper. The copyrights to US federal publications are assigned to "we the people" and that does not include foreigners, aliens, or German cartographers.

Maptech, as I recall, were chosen (in the Reagan administration?) as the private vendor who would convert the NOAA chart data to digital format, provide it to the public, and in return, have a limited-term exclusive to the rights of that digital product. Which expired a couple or five years ago, which is why NOAA distributes the same digital products for free now.

But Germans? No, that is most improper. They need to license the data set.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

But Germans? No, that is most improper. They need to license the data set.
Why not drop them a letter and ask?

It is a well established company with years on the market. Clearly whatever they do is 100% legal.

PS

Re. errors on charts as per earlier posts, NV had an approach light that could only be X marked as Y, FOR YEARS. Only the latest digital chart set the record straight. Another point to have a couple of charts, and to use the most recent set first.

b.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28   #10

Boat: Peterson 33

I use NV on iPad and iPhone when cruising around Casco Bay. When going out into Gulf of Maine always plan route on paper chart as back-up. Electronics can fail you in so many ways. Don't know why anyone would rely on them.
MichaelKMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Barnakiel-
Drop them a letter and ask them....for their opinion on an obscure point of foreign (to them) copyright law, that is internationally ignored anyway? (G)
I don't think you could find a copyright attorney within NOAA, or NGSA, or whoever is the master these days, who knows anything beyond "that damned civilian market" being a nuisance they'd rather ignore.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:40   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm just tickled that someone is wise enough to carry paper charts. I believe that was the post. paper ,compass and parallels will get you home when the electronics fake a dump.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, maptech