Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2015, 11:31   #1

Boat: Formosa 41
Galapagos 20 day Stop Over

I am planning on stopping in the Galapagos on the way to Marquesas, but just to refuel and provision - not to Island hop or sight see. Noonsite is not exactly clear on the fees / formalities / documentation required for boats that want to make the 20 day stop over allowed - or even just what is required for a quick 12 hour provision if needed. Does anybody have recent info on what to expect?
SV Soggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Galapagos 20 day Stop Over

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Soggy.

Galapagos —

Galapagos Islands Cruising Guide | YachtPals.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:14   #3

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

When we were there this year, boats doing this were still required to use a local agent for the short term clearance as Customs, Immigration and Quarantine won't deal with individual yachts directly. I'd suggest emailing a few of the agents for a quote. There's contacts for a number of them on Noonsite. We used Bolivar in San Cristobal for our Autografo which included San Cristobal, Santa Cruz and Isabella.

I'd recommend Isabella for just a short stop. The officials seemed a bit more laid back (typical of the whole island actually) The supplies there are a bit more limited but we found them the freshest since there's a couple farms you can go directly to.

Personally the Galápagos were one of our favorite stops on the way across and doing it again, I'd probably aim for at least 6 weeks rather than the 4 we gave them.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Was there in 2005 may return in 2017. At the main port, forget name, it was very crowded with many yachts. It was possible to check in without an agent then, but I seem to recall many did use agents. Due to the large amount of boats, in April I recall thinking it would be very easy to stop for a day or so to get fuel with no issues.

Most boats then stopped in Isabella although they had all cleared out of the country prior to stopping, again with no issues.
Old 03-11-2015, 22:15   #5

Quote: "It was possible to check in without an agent then, but I seem to recall many did use agents. Due to the large amount of boats, in April I recall thinking it would be very easy to stop for a day or so to get fuel with no issues."

Re: Not using an agent. That has changed since 2005. I met one cruiser this year who was livid that he had to use an agent. Repeated attempts to not we're refused and he eventually left.

If the intent of the second sentence is to not officially check in, but still get fuel I believe you'll have difficulties. Santa Cruz and Cristobal ports are quite closely monitored. A friend of ours popped into the office to report a mooring bouy that had come adrift. When his limited Spanish couldn't explain where very well, they took him into the Control Room and had him point it out on one of the many CCTV screens. They then proceeded to zoom in until they could read the number on it. He left with the impression they very closely watch boats coming in.

Next issue is the fuel.... Diesel there is heavily subsidized for residents, not for visiting yachts. Getting fuel for yachts required use of an agent. One cruiser this year tried to take jerry cans directly to the gas station but was refused by both taxis and the station.

People may not like it, but it is their country....their rules..... It has to be a tough job balancing the huge demand for tourism there while protecting what draws people there. Frankly when I stood back and compared it to the management of some of the National Parks in North America (both Canada and the US), I for one came away with considerable respect for how seriously they're taking protecting a unique ecosystem.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

I went ashore with about 15 jerry can and hopped a pickup truck cab to the fuel station just outside down. I had all my fuel aboard before checking in for my emergency stay later that day.

I did actually have a minor issue with my saildrive and asked permission to use the drying grid inside the inner harbor. This was allowed and we actually painted the bottom as well between tides alongside the workboats in the inner harbor.

We did get the boot shortly thereafter since out emergency was over, I think we spent about 4-5 days and then spent 2 or so days unofficially in Isabella.

I think I will hire the agent for the proper 5 port visit this time around, unless it is well in excess of several hundred dollars??
Old 04-11-2015, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I went ashore with about 15 jerry can and hopped a pickup truck cab to the fuel station just outside down. I had all my fuel aboard before checking in for my emergency stay later that day.......

I think I will hire the agent for the proper 5 port visit this time around, unless it is well in excess of several hundred dollars??
Interesting anecdote, but I wouldn't pass that along here as something that another cruiser can now count on. Things may have changed since 2005, unless I misread your posts and you've got more recent data that you're offering up.

As for costs, here's what ours were. We did some checking around and couldn't find any of the agents that would provide more than 3 ports and didn't talk to any other boats that were able to get more than 3. I understood 3 is the standard Autografo now. Of note, many of the agents will no longer give Autografos including Floreana (Santa Maria) as they've simply had too many bad experiences with cruisers not following the rules.

I dug up the email from the agent and here's the costs we saw for the 75 day Autografo. Crew of 4 as our kids were old enough to be considered adults (13 & 15). Comparing notes with others regarding the agents fees, they were pretty close across the board.

Quote-from January 2015:
1. Reception and arrival, is calculated by tons of sailboat (~$150 from memory for our boat)
2. $ 100 for the service inspection and quarantine
3. $ 40 for the immigration service
4. $ 400 Galapagos National Park ($ 100 per crew)
5. $ 40 the Governing Council of Galapagos ($ 10 for each crew member)
6. $ 30 per copy and transportation authorities.
7. $ 40 for the service of collection and transportation of waste.
8. $ 25 per inspection of the hull of the boat.
9. $ 200 per inspection of the Galapagos National Park ($ 50 for each crew member)
10. $ 500 for the services of the agency.

When navigating between villages ports of the Galapagos Islands you have to pay: National sail ($ 15 x 2 = $ 30), national arrival ($ 15 x 2 = $ 30), mooring (Only Puerto Villamil - Isabela $ 20) and international departure ($ 15), the Municipality of Isabela charges $ 5 for each crew member for the use of municipal pier.
End quote

Not sure which costs would be applicable for the 20 day. A couple of emails to a few of the agents will give the OP an idea of what to expect.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27   #8

Found the email address for JC (the agent at Isabela). jcdesoto52@gmail.com

He did a few 20 Day stays while we were there and at least one 'Emergency Stop' if I remember correctly. His English was really good also.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

That's getting up there fees wise. I'm not the type to claim "it should be free" but I understand costs have really risen rapidly over the last 12 years. Makes the $150/$300 Bahamas fee that seems outrageous in 2002 a super bargain these days.

I appreciate your good info. My current boat is intentionally pretty noticeable so will have to plan accordingly.

Fatty Goodlander had a good article about 12 months ago about all the places no requiring "agents" that never did before like when we were cruising with them in Fiji in 2006. I guess on the upside keeps some money in the local economies and maybe cuts down on thefts.

I see there have been several small thefts and boarding in FP last few years. This was ULTRA unheard of 10 years ago except maybe in Papettee.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

The cab driver even insisting on filling all the cans for me for like the $5 faire.

Tags
Galapagos