Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 19:02   #1

Seeking Ship To Hawaii from California

I am looking to work on a ship, doing whatever is needed of me for passage to Hawaii. Any of the main islands are fine. I will be traveling with a women, neither of us have any experience sailing, but I am a quick learner, and have no problem doing cleaning work. We will be heading down to San Diego, if you know of any connections out there that could use a hand, please message me with some information. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2016, 19:46   #2

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Seeking Ship To Hawaii from California

Do each of you have merchant Mariners documents and a TWICS card. If not, then it isn't going to happen.
Old 12-11-2016, 23:02   #3

Boat: None :(

Who would you need those documents? I'm not 100 percent sure, but a cursory Google search told me a merchant mariners document is required for working on a ship 100 tonnage or above. A TWIC card only gives access to more secure facilities. If it's a smaller ship not needing to go to any secure facility, would you need it? Or is it just a vetting tool to determine if something is good to go or not?
Old 13-11-2016, 06:05   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

First off you can not get any merchant marine documents without a TWICS card, which anyone can get. The other documents from Able Seaman up require testing and CG paperwork. You will not get a job on a commercial boat without them in the US.
Old 13-11-2016, 08:08   #5

If I understood your first post? You are not looking for jobs, you're looking for a boat ride to Hawaii, correct?
Old 13-11-2016, 08:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_Garden View Post
I am looking to work on a ship, doing whatever is needed of me for passage to Hawaii. Any of the main islands are fine. I will be traveling with a women, neither of us have any experience sailing, but I am a quick learner, and have no problem doing cleaning work. We will be heading down to San Diego, if you know of any connections out there that could use a hand, please message me with some information. Thank you.
This is a dangerous combination... no experience... therefore the Captain has to worry about you and the woman. Are you willing to pay for your voyage? No experience on the water... do you get seasick? What can you bring to the boat that will be a benefit to the Captain?
Old 13-11-2016, 17:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

TWIC cards are no longer required of licensed personnel (MMD) who do no enter secured port facilities. Tingum was right at one time. Initially my MMD was invalid without a TWIC. Not so any more. The only thing I ever used it for was going through security at an airport where, in the beginning of TWICs most TSA people had no idea what they were for. I showed the TWIC instead of my passport just to toy with them.
Old 14-11-2016, 05:23   #8

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

might have to rethink your plan,,,

1. Pay the passage fee on an ocean liner,,,about $ 600.00 each. Look them up on the web. Additional costs on top of that.

2, Apply for a job on an ocean liner , go thru their procedures, and jump ship . This will be real work with little time off..,

princess cruises, holland america, NCL ( U,S, Flag ).

Who knows, you might like it. I believe you will sign a contract for a certain period of time. Save some money, and sail the seas, Contract is up, live in your chosen paradise.

2, Buy airline tickets at low season and not near holiday travel times. season.

3. Have a plan for when you arrive. and lots of yankee green.

4. We visited the islands for 12 years , and lived as residents on kauai for nine years. We were retired and financially all set, but hawaii can be expensive and unskilled jobs pay minimum wage, but are available in the visitor industry.

5. Not sure if the OP was planning on a short vacation stay or long term......

Tags
cal, california, hawaii