Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 01:27   #1

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32
Advice on Best Foods to Take for Food Value for Long Passage

Hello All,

I did a search for -- Recommended Foods for a Long Trip and did not find the right answer. I found a number of bucket lists for what to take but not specifically for the food category. I realize that... what we eat or like to eat is per the individuals taste.

This Post is Geared for a 6 food month supply for 1 or 2 people.

The priority ranking is for: 1st., Food Value, 2nd, Keeping Over Time, 3rd., Weight & Storage Volume 4th, Overall Cost $$.

My Research has found a broad list of foods are needed to ensure an intake of balanced diet.. vitamin / protein, etc. content for several months at sea. The stops in port are limited for resupply. I had thought that fishing would be a good source of food. However, I sort of ruled fishing out with widespread ocean pollution.

I'm aware of the popular choice of -- dehydrated foods i.e. noodles, etc.. . I have a quantity of dehydrated food on the list but the food quality is nothing great. I have a lot of canned foods in mind but will get max'd. out with storage room and overall weight.

I have military back ground and versed on mil. meals but never liked them much. I've never packed for a long trip. I'm looking to hear from the folks that have been out for months at a time.

Bottom Line Question, what's you're recommended choice(s) for a long trip and geared for my food priority (above) requirements ?

Note: The boat is a Islander 37 MS, & not that roomy with 10" 9" beam.
It will be packed in fairly tight with all the other items required for a long passage; food storage volume fill up is a factor.

Thank You,

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 03:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Advice on Best Foods to Take for Food Value for Long Passage

In spring I provision for 3-6 months of most of our food, leaving us free to explore remote anchorages away from the summer crowds, so you may may find my list useful. For me, a big part of "value" is not just nutrition, but also taste. The pleasure in good meals, particularly those shared with friends is priceless .

I have probably forgotten heaps, but these are items I keep in large quantities, all suitable for good long term storage on board, as I have no freezer and only limited refrigeration:

- Pulses such as beans, chickpeas, lentils tick all the boxes when it comes to high protein, low cost, lightweight food that stores years without refrigeration. I rarely used these as a dirt dweller, but now rely heavily on them.

- Fillers like rice, grains, quinoa and pasta. Also dry crackers.

- Oats and other breakfast cereals will take care of one meal for the day and can be supplemented with dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, currants, apricots, cranberries, figs, dates), nuts (almond, hazelnut, walnut, brazil, pistachio), coconut, seeds such as pumpkin, sesame, sunflower. These also enable me to make an endless supply of muesli and granola and can be used in many general recipes.

- Powdered milk is lighter in weight, cheaper and has a longer life than UHT or tinned.

- Dried herbs and spices are super high in antioxidants and can transform the simplest of ingredients into a feast. I carry a good stock of around 20-30.

- Not so much high in nutrition, but something that will also transform any meal and lift crew morale is fresh bread. Flour and dried yeast is all that is needed to make not just bread or rolls, but focaccia and pizza etc.

- Condiments of choice such tomato sauce, chili sauce, worcestershire, soy, oyster sauce, horseradish, wasabi, balsamic, mustard. As well: coconut cream powder, sundried tomatoes, stock cubes, sesame oil, salt, capers, olives, peanut butter.

- Alfalfa, lentils and mung beans for sprouting.

- Tinned food such as tomatoes, tomato paste, fish, fruit.

- For sweet treats: flour, sugar, high quality extra virgin olive oil, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon. Chocolate will last if stored somewhere dry in the bilge, but only if crew members have lots of self control . Sugar also enables making of jam and marmalade when a glut of fruit is available.

- Tea, coffee, alcohol.

All these items will last for over a year unrefrigerated.

The main thing then lacking when it comes to nutrition is fresh fruit and vegetables (sprouts and tinned food will not cover all needs), but these need to be purchased at least every few weeks. Some are better lasting than others (potatoes, onions, pumpkin, garlic etc). Also longevity is better if they have never been refrigerated. Same goes for eggs.
Dried meat such as salami will last weeks unrefrigerated. Some food like hard cheese will also last weeks if vacuum sealed.
A freezer on board opens up the possibility of keeping frozen meat, but is power hungry. Lots of cruisers manage perfectly happily without.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 05:31   #3

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32

Seaworthy Lass,

Your Suggested Food Items are Spot-on. You mentioned some of the more common food items that were known to me. I forget about the importance of selecting food that makes your dinning enjoyable. I was going a little a little over board on selecting foods that met my food value requirement but not on my favorite food list.

Thanks again,

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 05:57   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Are you familiar with canning and/or bottling foods? It has been and still is a common practice where I come from for preserving food for months even years in some cases, Canning would be preferable for obvious reason on the boat.
Pretty well any meats, fruits vegetables, can be preserved and fresh as the day it was done, Meats will stay tender and moist and no refrideration required.
Every year I will bottle wild game, shell fish, even soup to take for my lunch at work during the winter and the best part about it is you know whats in it!!
A good friend of mind who usualy does one or two long distance trips a year ferrying boats, will get his wife to prepare a varity of home canned meals for the crew.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:14   #5

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Have fun with the trip - these sorts of planning questions/conundrums are part of the fun; I'd just add a couple of thoughts to include in your calculations:

Don't get too carried away, there are grocery stores of some description most everywhere in the world.

Irrespective of their 'food value' you need some 'cheer us all up' foods, for when you're sat miserably gale-bound for the ninth day in succession, it doesn't matter if they're time consuming/fuel inefficient to prepare, you've got the time. We like to make scones and pancakes and since cruising in the US, we've also added chocolate brownies to the list too.

Finally you need some 'rough-weather passage food' this should be high on sugar, fat and both easy to prepare and easy on the stomach - despite coming from England rather than the US I personally favour peanut butter and jelly sandwiches; with a steady supply of these, strong coffee and cigarettes, we've ridden out some hooleys!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Don't get too carried away, there are grocery stores of some description most everywhere in the world.
I think this is the main thing to remember. A lot of newbies get carried away with thinking that they have to provision for their entire round-the-world trip right up front. Everywhere you go there will be people. And everywhere there are people, those people eat. Which means that there will be ways to re-provision at practically every stop along the way.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Hello All,

I did a search for -- Recommended Foods for a Long Trip and did not find the right answer. I found a number of bucket lists for what to take but not specifically for the food category. I realize that... what we eat or like to eat is per the individuals taste.

The priority ranking is for: 1st., Food Value, 2nd, Keeping Over Time, 3rd., Weight & Storage Volume 4th, Overall Cost $$.

My Research has found a broad list of foods are needed to ensure an intake of balanced diet.. vitamin / protein, etc. content for several months at sea. The stops in port are limited for resupply. I had thought that fishing would be a good source of food. However, I sort of ruled fishing out with widespread ocean pollution.

I'm aware of the popular choice of -- dehydrated foods i.e. noodles, etc.. . I have a quantity of dehydrated food on the list but the food quality is nothing great. I have a lot of canned foods in mind but will get max'd. out with storage room and overall weight.

I have military back ground and versed on mil. meals but never liked them much. I've never packed for a long trip. I'm looking to hear from the folks that have been out for months at a time.

Bottom Line Question, what's you're recommended choice(s) for a long trip and geared for my food priority (above) requirements ?

It will be packed in fairly tight with all the other items required for a long passage; food storage volume fill up is a factor.

Thank You,

Avery
Howdy Avery!

You have already gotten some very good answers from Seaworthy Lass and others, so I will not post a long list.

But, I did a very quick Google Custom Search (GCS) of this forum using the simple key word of "food" and found MANY threads/discussions on that topic, with MANY focused on what people recommend for voyaging, tropics, circumnavigation, lack of refrigeration, etc. Here is the link to that GCS, but I will also post my favorite simple tip on how to do searches like that (just in case you or another reader of this thread does not already know how).

food - Google Search

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you. 

There have been threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum and sometimes if one does a simple search of the forum one can get surprisingly few links to previous discussions.

Since you are searching for answers, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip:
Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. This method is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.

I can survive on beans and rice. But, I would prefer to eat tasty food, even IF it is simple food. To me, making the food "tasty" is important to avoiding boredom and dissatisfaction with the meal, even if the basic ingredients are similar or same.

So, I enjoy using herbs and spices and combinations of them to enhance the flavors and to give my tastebuds a treat.

For example, when I make my morning tea, I often put a big dash of "Chinese Five Spice" into the mug. I call it "Steady's Spicy Tea" and have introduced my friends to it. It has already got a mixture of five flavorful spices (cinnamon, ginger, anise, nutmeg, cloves) all together. A shake or two of that make my big mug of tea spicy and tasty. IF I want to kick it up a notch, I grind a little fresh black peppercorn into the mug too! SPICY! Aye!

Things to AVOID on a Long Voyage.

Avoid Repetition and Boring Food. This makes most sailing crews mutiny!

While at sea, FOOD is about the only thing that makes a bad day better!

So, a good Ship's Cook and a well stocked (with variety) galley can make the difference between misery and pleasure and is certain to have a positive effect on crew morale!

I was on a long voyage (nonstop) and unfortunately the boat's cook (I was navigator) who bought 24 big cans of green beans at COSTCO, neglected to buy anything to make those beans taste any different!

Consequently, after weeks of canned green beans, I cannot enjoy green beans like that ever again! (I still like fresh beans steamed and grilled.)

Lesson? Buy variety! Buy things to "change up" the flavor of your staples.

You mentioned catching fish. I love fish and enjoy the thrill of catching something fresh from the sea.

However, I realize that one cannot depend on catching it regularly while on passage, and there are also reasons for NOT eating some reef fish in some areas of the world (read about Ciguatera on this forum or on the net). By the way, my crew only caught ONE fish on a 30 day passage. But it was a big Dorado (Dolphin, Mahi Mahi) and he fed us well, thanks to Poseidon/Neptune!

But, while a fresh caught fish may be eaten raw (Sashimi anyone?), I also enjoy things like a good low sodium soy sauce, wasabi paste (dry powder lasts forever) and a little pickled ginger, for that "sushi chef" effect.

Something interesting happens when at sea, our tastes for food can change. If someone on your boat says "I don't like sushi" then just wait until you have a nice fresh slab of fish filet from a fresh caught fish sitting on a plate with some condiments in the cockpit. Enjoy it and I bet the naysayers will come around, especially if they are tired of canned food and rice and beans!
___

Another boat condiment I cannot leave port without: Sriracha hot sauce!

There is also a website focused on boat galley cooking (a forum member runs it) called the Boat Galley and there is a popular cookbook of same name. The Boat Galley — getting the most out of your boat kitchen . . . and more!

Good luck and Good Eating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	102139  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:53   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Has anyone here used the dried vegetable offerings from the prepper side of the world? You can purchase sizeable tubs of these things that have smaller, individual, packets inside. They sell variety packs to avoid the sameness of endless cans of green beans ().

They look interesting but would be curious if any boaters have tested them out.
Old 15-05-2015, 07:57   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Rice is always welcome at sea...especially if you have a touch of the tummy wobbles.

I used freeze dried camping meal, but supplemented them with additional rice, beans and spices. Dried fruit (apples, pineapple, cranberries) will last a long time if packaged well, and adds alot of flavour. At sea I'll make recipes that would be disgusting at home, but well recieved on a long trip.

And don't forget some easy staples, like potatoes, onions, and carrots. You should be able to have these for the first month. After that, dried potato and dried onion are good (and cheap too).

Cans take up a lot of space. I take mostly chili and cream of mushroom soup. They both can be added to rice, pasta, beans or potato to make a meal.

And finally...jerky. Its expensive to buy, or you can make your own. But wow is it great. Beef or turkey. Can be eaten plain in rough weather, or used in a recipe.

I hope my few ideas give you some ideas. At sea, food becomes pretty important. When I crossed the ocean, our cook was an epic fail...I lost 30 pounds in less than 6 weeks. Although the pantry was stocked, we lived mosly on "beans in tomato sauce" and "potatoes in a jacket". While losing a bit of weight may seem nice, the crew was lethargic and cranky due to lack of food. The rest of the crew turned to beer, wine, and liquor for calories, and spent most of the crossing drunker than I thought possible. We were lucky nobody died.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:58   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Bring a variety of HOT sauces. When the meals all start tasting the same, the heat becomes a treat!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:15   #11

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Butter, I always carry many pounds of butter either stored in tightly sealed containers submerged in brine or more recently refrigerated. The secret to life is butter. Butter and salt. It just makes all the foods previously mentioned, wonderful.

Heck, put enough salt and butter on it and I can eat it indefinitely.

Can't have too much butter.

I provision with two thoughts in mind.

1) Survival food in mass quantity mostly a wide variety of floor, rice and beans, stowed deep lest the mast goes by the board.
2) Really yummy, one pot, feel good,
comfort food like, chowders, chile, curries, shepherd's pies, etc that I can make with fresh bread and eat for several meals.

I could eat dog poop if you put enough salt and butter on it.
Can't possibly stow enough butter. Cabbage, fresh and pickled as sauerkraut and kimchee.

Good multivitamins.
Popcorn
As mentioned by SeaworthyLass, Whole grains all sorts in quantity.

Just don't think you can have too much butter especially in the higher latitudes.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:48   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Hello All,

Thank You,

Avery
Hi Avery,

You are facing the same decisions and issues we all do when planning for long passages and/or extended time in remote areas.

There are several sources dedicated to this type of effort. One we really enjoy is Carolyn Shearlock's Boat Galley [the book and the site...]

She covers everything you are asking about and more.

And since you are meal planning for the long haul, consider an app like Paprica that tracks recipes, ingredients, and keeps inventory of ingredients. Very helpful and simple if you start using it from the beginning...

Enjoy the adventure and the prep...

Cheers!
Old 15-05-2015, 09:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We second the suggestion by Seaworthy Lass. Perhaps we have been fortunate as we have always had a functioning fridge and freezer which we believe transforms our larder habits. Also, Carolyn Shearlock's website has a very useful list for provisioning. Before buying heaps of anything, make sure you have actually tasted and liked the contents. Many foods can be kept for lengthy periods if you follow procedures - including eggs, potato's and especially onions. Our freezers (two) contain meat and frozen veggies. Our fridge is used for items that are already open. We have spent months, as many as five, without buying a single food item whilst in some remote regions - because there was nothing to buy. My wife has been known to marinate fish in Bovril/Marmite/Vegemite to make it taste more beefy once we totally ran out of land meat.
What we also agree with is having a treat supply - we allow one item per person, per week for this. We also keep a few extra treats for special occassions - these should not need refrigeration otherwise temptation shall be there everytime the fridge is opened. A few bags of boiled sweets, some potato chips (crisps to the Brits), some favourite biscuits, a rich fruit cake, some savoury treats etc all work for us - kept in airtight containers. We also keep a few special drinks for birthdays and other occasions like Christmas or Easter if we know we shall not be somewhere with availability. We also keep four ready to cook meals in our deep freezer whilst at sea - these are kept in cheap tinfoil containers wrapped in several layers of tin foil. These are simple meals - typically a small piece of chicken per person, chunks of potato, carrots, onions, pea's, cauliflower, gemsquash etc, with half a can of beer poured in before wrapping and deep freezing. In case of bad conditions one of these ready to go meals is left to defrost for 2-3 hours and then is popped into the oven for an hour. We have also often used the braai (barbeque) to cook these in. We then have a hearty meal available with absolutely no preparation work required at the time and minimal clearing up afterwards. When we get to our destination we can also have one of these meals ready to eat once the anchor is down.
To prepare 4 meals (each for 6x people in our case) takes about an hour but they have always proved their worth.
My wife also grows basics on board including water cress, mung beans, etc to add crunch etc to our diet.
We are also looking at one of the 4ft tall grow pods that we have seen on use aboard a US flagged boat - does anyone have any experience? The boat we saw it on was growing lettuce, strawberries and other veggies and it seems a brilliant concept - if only we could find out more.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:13   #14

Boat: csy 37

British "boiled sweets" is "hard candy" in USA-ish.

Add canned peaches to your list. Can really settle your stomach down on rough passages, at least in our experience.

Like seaworthy lass list. Especially her recommendation for variety.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:39   #15

Boat: Ted Brewer designed 36' cutter rig aluminum s/v

We would strongly recommend Amanda Neal's book - The Essential Galley Companion. We sailed with them in the South Pacific and ate wonderfully. We used the book as a guide as well during our month long journey from Seattle to Long Beach. Lots of advice on how and what to store.
Millie J Galt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, passage