Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 15:05   #1

Boat: Simonis 50
South Africa --> St. Helena --> Brazil ... then what?

We plan to set sail at the end of December from Cape Town, do a quick stop over at St. Helena then sail to Brazil. One in Brazil, where to then?

Is it worth sailing down south to Montevideo, Uruguay and Buenos Aires, Argentina?
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: South Africa --> St. Helena --> Brazil ... then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
We plan to set sail at the end of December from Cape Town, do a quick stop over at St. Helena then sail to Brazil. One in Brazil, where to then?

Is it worth sailing down south to Montevideo, Uruguay and Buenos Aires, Argentina?
There is some excellent cruising just south of rio.

There is the worlds best cruising in the beagle and Patagonian canals.

Between (Uruguay and the argentine coast) is ok, but not all that exciting.

That's my opinion . . . But every cruiser likes slightly different things and I am sure someone else simply loves say Uruguay.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 17:19   #3

Revelations,
Hi.
You'll be there-why not explore south of Brazil? Pressed to be somewhere? Lol.
How's your spanish/portugees? Carribean will still be there and hot also anytime.
What a great adventure ! Fair weather.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 18:12   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

Hi, I think we met you in Durban or Cape Town. We went to Salvador but wished we just skipped it and came straight to the Caribbean. Now that we're here for a couple months, just want to move on to the ABC's and Panama. Too crowded!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-09-2014, 18:21   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I ddi Mar Del Platta in argentina and enjoyed that. I would have liked to do Uruguay and the whole area.
Rio and north is wonderful too.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 20:48   #6
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

A few miles from Rio, Angra dos Reis is full of islands (365) . There're two fiord like bays in the state of Sao Paolo (don't miss Parati).Then Florianopolis and Lagoa.
Going south , nothing until the beautiful Punta del Este in Uruguay.
Buenos Aires , lot of night life and restaurants, awful navigation in shallow brown waters. Then nothing until Mar del Plata ....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53   #7

Thank you all for your time and the information!
Seems it would be worth our while to seriously consider going down south to at least Mar Del Plata.
Old 06-09-2014, 14:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ honestly . . . If you go that far, then go all the way to the beagle. It is world Class spectacular.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ honestly . . . If you go that far, then go all the way to the beagle. It is world Class spectacular.
You might have a point - but we are a bit concerned about the sailing conditions in this area. As we speak, we only have about 1500 nautical miles of sailing and there is a lack of confidence in our ability to go sailing in such remote areas. But then, by the time we get there, we might be more proficient, more confident and feel otherwise.
Old 08-09-2014, 17:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
You might have a point - but we are a bit concerned about the sailing conditions in this area. As we speak, we only have about 1500 nautical miles of sailing and there is a lack of confidence in our ability to go sailing in such remote areas. But then, by the time we get there, we might be more proficient, more confident and feel otherwise.
You will be more experienced by the time you get there, and it is simply coastal sailing, generally along a protected shore (eg westerly winds blowing off the beach, with small waves if you sail close to the beach), with some interesting harbors along the way (epically for a shallow cat). Gulfport Nuevo has whales and sea lions, San Julian has done history with cook and Magellan. Puerto hoppner (staten island) is one of the all time best protected and prettiest anchorages in the world.

The winds will probably be stronger than you will be used to, but in excellent learning conditions.
Old 08-09-2014, 17:09   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

What is worth it or not depends on what you like or not. You know best what you like. Both directions are fine but if you want to visit the South then do it up first and only then sail on to the West Indies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 17:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ there is a good point there that I don't think has been focused on before . . . if you go south of rio, then it becomes a bit more difficult to get back north around the bulge of brazil - with prevailing NE winds against you and some current against. But it is not impossible if you have time. You just wait for fronts to bend the prevailing wind and you can sail up on a series of close reaches (or better).

Once you are north of the bulge suddenly everything swings around and is with you and you have a joy ride with both wind and current to the Caribbean.
Old 08-09-2014, 22:23   #13

Thanks for the additional info! It certainly helps understanding the situation better.
Old 13-09-2014, 14:47   #14

Hi Revelations,
From Río de Janeiro to the north and south are two very nice options but different.
If you go to the south to mid-January is a good time to start.
In Angra Dos Reis have enough time to enjoy, from there I recommend Paraty, historic city and very well maintained, must. Next destination: Ilhabela, the national capital of sailing in Brazil.
To the south you can go to Sao Francisco do Sul in Santa Catarina, where is the national museum of the sea.
Also you can go directly to Florianópolis, nice place with good beaches for the summer.
If you continue to the south I recommend entering Rio Grande do Sul, is not the most charming city, but a good place to make the bureaucracy out of Brazil and expect a good climate to go to Uruguay.
Punta del Este in Uruguay is the little Monaco, P del E it is impossible in the first half of January, Montevideo is a beautiful city with its historical part, Piriapolis is the best marina in Uruguay, is under construction and is accessible only from December to March.
Buenos Aires, my city, is a great city that has much to see, and sailing south Mar del Plata is our pearl of the Atlantic.
You will be late to go south of Mard del Plata, if go to Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel must start from Mar del Plata before year-end, and recommended in November.
I am writing nautical guides on my travels from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires from Ushuaia, are in Spanish but Google Translate helps. In the guides you can find WP, tracks and all the tips needed to navigate south of Rio, as well as fight with South American bureaucracy.
If you go south of Rio must avoid a common mistake, because the characteristic climate of Rio to Buenos Aires, you should avoid making long legs to avoid strong north winds and the Pampero from the S or SW. So my recommended destinations, navigations 2 or 3 days and again wait for a favorable wind.

Nautical Mini guide to Brazil. link: http://www.paranauticos.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1449&PN=1
Mini nautical guide in southern Argentina. link: Foros Tem?ticos: Mini gu?a n?utica del Sur

Remember last summer and dengue is still a big problem in Brazil.
For my username in the search of this forum you can find other recommendations I have given in previous consultations.
Any doubt on these latitudes: let me know.

Omar Sanchez, Wetdoc.
Buenos Aires

Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 15:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdoc View Post
Hi Revelations,
From Río de Janeiro to the north and south are two very nice options but different.
If you go to the south to mid-January is a good time to start.
In Angra Dos Reis have enough time to enjoy, from there I recommend Paraty, historic city and very well maintained, must. Next destination: Ilhabela, the national capital of sailing in Brazil.
To the south you can go to Sao Francisco do Sul in Santa Catarina, where is the national museum of the sea.
Also you can go directly to Florianópolis, nice place with good beaches for the summer.
If you continue to the south I recommend entering Rio Grande do Sul, is not the most charming city, but a good place to make the bureaucracy out of Brazil and expect a good climate to go to Uruguay.
Punta del Este in Uruguay is the little Monaco, P del E it is impossible in the first half of January, Montevideo is a beautiful city with its historical part, Piriapolis is the best marina in Uruguay, is under construction and is accessible only from December to March.
Buenos Aires, my city, is a great city that has much to see, and sailing south Mar del Plata is our pearl of the Atlantic.
You will be late to go south of Mard del Plata, if go to Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel must start from Mar del Plata before year-end, and recommended in November.
I am writing nautical guides on my travels from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires from Ushuaia, are in Spanish but Google Translate helps. In the guides you can find WP, tracks and all the tips needed to navigate south of Rio, as well as fight with South American bureaucracy.
If you go south of Rio must avoid a common mistake, because the characteristic climate of Rio to Buenos Aires, you should avoid making long legs to avoid strong north winds and the Pampero from the S or SW. So my recommended destinations, navigations 2 or 3 days and again wait for a favorable wind.

Nautical Mini guide to Brazil. link: http://www.paranauticos.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1449&PN=1
Mini nautical guide in southern Argentina. link: Foros Tem?ticos: Mini gu?a n?utica del Sur

Remember last summer and dengue is still a big problem in Brazil.
For my username in the search of this forum you can find other recommendations I have given in previous consultations.
Any doubt on these latitudes: let me know.

Omar Sanchez, Wetdoc.
Buenos Aires

Hello Wetdoc
Thank you for your comments and the comment left on our website. I will most certainly keep this in mind and establish contact with you closer to the time. Regards.

Tags
Africa, Brazil, South Africa