Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 09:09   #1

Boat: 2019 TBD
My bilge is making me moist...

So I have a Coronado 28 with a wet bilge. My bilge pump is set up so that the pump doesn't come on until the water level reaches about 4-5 inches. I am assuming that was done to keep it from cycling to often. It appears that my original internal water tank">fresh water tank has a very slight leak somewhere which will add about a 1/2 inch per week into the bilge. I will be addressing that soon by either relining the tank or switching to a bladder. The other source of water is the ice box which drains directly into the bilge. The way it is set up, when you pull the plug on the ice box the water just free flows into the bilge down the interior of the hull. No hose or ability to connect a hose.

My question is does anyone else have this set up and what do you do to keep the bilge dry? I am thinking of adding a smaller bilge pump as a backup anyways that would sit directly on the bottom, but this does not fix the root cause of my issue. I was thinking of adding a hose connection to the icebox drain that would lead into some type of bucket in the bilge so that when I drain the box I could just toss the water overboard. I might be able to route it to my kitchen sink through hull but It may be lower than the gate valve, which would not help much.

Any better ideas?

Thanks
Old 26-09-2017, 09:16   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: My bilge is making me moist...

Your on the right track. Adding a barbed hose drain to icebox and run it to a plastic sump that will pump it out keeping your bilge dry.

I like this one as it is a lot less expensive than those offered by West Marine . . .

http://amzn.to/2wRRz2Y

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:21   #3

Now that is a slick idea. Thanks! The tough part will be accessing the drain for the ice box.
Old 26-09-2017, 09:25   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Fix the leaks.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:26   #5

I never worried about keeping the bilge dry. Doesn't your shaft packing drip? Most bilge pumps will pump and then the water in the hose runs back to the bilge. You can go to a lot of expense and eliminate most of that if it bugs you. Use a Diaphragm pump or etc.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:39   #6

I have a check valve in my bilge line that eliminates that. I am trying to get it as dry as possible, but I know it will not be perfect. But if I can eliminate the majority of the water that would help.
Old 26-09-2017, 10:03   #7

Never install a check valve in a bilge pump line.
Old 26-09-2017, 10:25   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I have a similar problem, and have been toying with an idea to keep bilges dry, and am testing a promising prototype device. On my boat I have a water-cooled refrigeration compressor that runs periodically. I was curious to see if I could plumb a small venturi pump into the discharge side of the cooling loop, and run a small tube from the suction inlet down into the bilge. With this setup, whenever the compressor is running it will be, little by little, draining the bilge overboard. I designed a venturi device in some 3D CAD software, and printed it using my 3D printer. I tested the device with a garden hose as the input, and sure enough it works, and can pump a 2-3 foot head of water. I'm experimenting with different internal geometries to see if I can get more suction, but I'm already in the ballpark for what I need. I also need to test how much back pressure or flow restriction the device introduces, so that I do not negatively affect the compressor.

It's fun to tinker like this, and I'm close to having a functional bilge drying pump that has no moving parts, uses no additional electricity, and should be largely maintenance free - just have to keep the pickup from getting clogged.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Fix the leaks.

Working on that as stated in my post.
Old 26-09-2017, 12:15   #10

Quote:

Many say do have one many say don't. I prefer to keep the water from back flowing into the bilge since I have a long run to get it out of the boat. No perfect answer to this one.
Old 26-09-2017, 12:36   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
That used to be the rule but now some pumps are coming with check valves.
The all use joker style valves like you see on toilets.

I recommend that if someone wants a check valve in their bilge discharge that they use a pump designed for it. Both the Whale and Rule Low Profile pumps come with this type of check valve.
Old 26-09-2017, 13:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I have a similar problem, and have been toying with an idea to keep bilges dry, and am testing a promising prototype device. On my boat I have a water-cooled refrigeration compressor that runs periodically. I was curious to see if I could plumb a small venturi pump into the discharge side of the cooling loop, and run a small tube from the suction inlet down into the bilge. With this setup, whenever the compressor is running it will be, little by little, draining the bilge overboard. I designed a venturi device in some 3D CAD software, and printed it using my 3D printer. I tested the device with a garden hose as the input, and sure enough it works, and can pump a 2-3 foot head of water. I'm experimenting with different internal geometries to see if I can get more suction, but I'm already in the ballpark for what I need. I also need to test how much back pressure or flow restriction the device introduces, so that I do not negatively affect the compressor.

It's fun to tinker like this, and I'm close to having a functional bilge drying pump that has no moving parts, uses no additional electricity, and should be largely maintenance free - just have to keep the pickup from getting clogged.

-David
To keep the pickup from getting clogged use a peri jet type of eductor Derbyshire - Peri-Jets & Eductors
Old 26-09-2017, 13:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb007 View Post
Many say do have...
Many don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
...some pumps are coming with check valves.
The all use joker style valves...
They don't all use joker valves.

The pumps whose design includes a check valve are one thing; amateur-installed check valves are another.
Old 26-09-2017, 13:52   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
To keep the pickup from getting clogged use a peri jet type of eductor Derbyshire - Peri-Jets & Eductors
My eductor/venturi is 3D printed using nylon filament, and is very small. The peri jet eductor is pretty large, made of sintered bronze, and requires significant motive flow to drive it. My device is not meant as a high-volume dewatering pump - I still have my regular bilge pumps for that - it's just designed to get the last few millimeters that the big pumps cannot handle.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 14:03   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
My eductor/venturi is 3D printed using nylon filament, and is very small. The peri jet eductor is pretty large, made of sintered bronze, and requires significant motive flow to drive it. My device is not meant as a high-volume dewatering pump - I still have my regular bilge pumps for that - it's just designed to get the last few millimeters that the big pumps cannot handle.

-David
David many years ago when Mon the Navy I made a miniature one that operated on compressed air. My linking that to you was to give you some ideas as to efficient design aspects not to purchase one of these units. Personally I would look at the peri design. Moves more with less volume to operate it than a standard eductor.

Tags
bilge