Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 08:27   #1

Tartan anchor lockers and bilge odor

We are looking at acquiring either a 93 Tartan 372 or 89 Tartan 40. Our concern is the anchor compartment has an access door in the V berth and we can not tell if this compartment drains into the bilge. Will we be bringing mud and salt water into the bilge and or foul odor into the v-berth? We sail in Rhode Island and anchor in stinky mud. Our prior boats all had separated anchor lockers with a drain to the exterior. Anybody have experience with the Tartan's?
captaintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 04:17   #2

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: Tartan anchor lockers and bilge odor

I had a Tartan 37 (S&S design) for 20 years with the same configuration as what you're looking at with a louvered door in the V-berth to the anchor locker. Mine drained into the bilge but I never really noticed smelly mud, and here on the Chesapeake, we have a lot of muddy bottoms to deal with......that's one reason I installed a wash down pump!
My T-4100 has a locker that is sealed off from the rest of the boat with over-board drains so Tartan at some point changed their design of the locker.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 05:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TZ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 05:17   #4

Thank you for the feedback regarding your T-37.
captaintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 05:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There is a Tartan Owners Group on Yahoo. As you have already made the wise choice to buy a Tartan, you should join the group. You will find a good number of 372 and 40 owners there.

I know there are some T-33 owners who are original owners. Having access to long term owners is priceless.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 19:26   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I had a 1988 T34-2, which is of the same design style as the 37-2 and the T40 you are looking at. the anchor locker drained overboard, near the bow. we never had any anchor mud smells inside the boat while sleeping in the V berth.

my T34-2 was one of my favorite boats. I bought it the first day it was listed for sale, and I sold it within two days of listing it (to buy a T4100).

enjoy
Old 25-09-2017, 21:53   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you find that you want to change how the locker drains, it's simple enough to do. You seal the bottom of the locker & then drill overboard drain holes on both sides of the locker at the low point, & cover them with clam shell type vent covers.

Having a way to access the rode from belowdecks is important so that you can knock down any chain castles that form, add a tie in point for the rode's bitter end, & access all of the fasteners for your bow hardware from the underside. Including adding backing plates, nuts & washers, etc.

You can make the access door vapor tight, or even watertight, but having access to that area of the boat is critical. Imagine if you need to work on the windlass, clean the locker, or add an extra pair of bow cleats. That or to unsnarl the rode, as it gets stuck at some point when you're dropping anchor.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, bilge, odor