Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 22:14   #1

Boat: Gulfstar H45 sloop
Any good alternatives to Navionics

Hi there
I am looking for advice on a navigation app I can use instead of Navionics.
I am a live-aboard and have used Navionics for two years but the last year I have found the app to be much less user friendly than the year before.
About 2 weeks before my subscription expired, I emailed Navionics with a carefully detailed list of the problems I was having but then during our emailing back and forth, my subscription expired so the app reverted to just the very basic gps function. Navionics then asked me to send some screen shots of the problems I was having but I could no longer take any screenshots as 95% of the app's functions stopped when my subscription expired!
I asked if they could activate it for even just a day or two to enable me to get screenshots but they say they cannot and that I would have to pay in full for a year....all so I can help then iron out some glitches in their app!
So, what other apps can I try?
Any advice gratefully received...
Tobaccoblender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 02:49   #2

Boat: 1964 Classic Irish BIM Trawler, 14.8m
Send a message via Skype™ to Radmacdaddy
Re: Any good alternatives to Navionics

I use iSailor. While on a transport between Gibraltar and lanzarote my dad had navionics and I had iSailor on our respective devices. We found iSailor had better detail. It's user friendly, free, with less expensive maps. I bought a U.K./ ireland chart and it was about $49. I've not had to update it and recently used it here in ireland with good results. I downloaded all the free apps and tried them all and found this most user friendly and cost sensible.
Radmacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 04:00   #3

what sort of features is the subscription version offering? You can't live without them?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 04:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobaccoblender View Post
Hi there
I am looking for advice on a navigation app I can use instead of Navionics.
I am a live-aboard and have used Navionics for two years but the last year I have found the app to be much less user friendly than the year before.
About 2 weeks before my subscription expired, I emailed Navionics with a carefully detailed list of the problems I was having but then during our emailing back and forth, my subscription expired so the app reverted to just the very basic gps function. Navionics then asked me to send some screen shots of the problems I was having but I could no longer take any screenshots as 95% of the app's functions stopped when my subscription expired!
I asked if they could activate it for even just a day or two to enable me to get screenshots but they say they cannot and that I would have to pay in full for a year....all so I can help then iron out some glitches in their app!
So, what other apps can I try?
Any advice gratefully received...
You are talking about acquiring an app + cartography, right?

For what platform?

If you're using an IPad, and like the dumbed-down simplified Apple style of computing, you can get INavX. You buy the Navionics cartography through the INavX system. You can use out of date Navionics charts almost forever if you want -- not recommended for primary navigation but may be appropriate for a secondary or backup system. My point is that with INavX you buy the software and it works forever, and you are not in any way dependent on any subscription.

If you're using a PC, and want the polar opposite of INavX -- that is, the most complex, powerful, and sophisticated plotter you can get, by all means, OpenCPN, which on top of everything else is free. You can get a variety of cartography to work with OpenCPN.

There are lots and lots more -- depends on what you want, what platform you're using, what cartography you want to use.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:35   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm hearing about isailor alot lately, this is from experienced cruisers. I downloaded it last night and are currently playing with it.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 07:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
what sort of features is the subscription version offering? You can't live without them?
Well as faf as I can tell you cannot plan a route and save it without having paid the subscription. When mine expired, all I get when I open the app is the map showing my position on it. The whole sidebar part with the controls for planning a route and accessing my route library is gone.
Old 22-07-2017, 07:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You are talking about acquiring an app + cartography, right?

For what platform?

If you're using an IPad, and like the dumbed-down simplified Apple style of computing, you can get INavX. You buy the Navionics cartography through the INavX system. You can use out of date Navionics charts almost forever if you want -- not recommended for primary navigation but may be appropriate for a secondary or backup system. My point is that with INavX you buy the software and it works forever, and you are not in any way dependent on any subscription.

If you're using a PC, and want the polar opposite of INavX -- that is, the most complex, powerful, and sophisticated plotter you can get, by all means, OpenCPN, which on top of everything else is free. You can get a variety of cartography to work with OpenCPN.

There are lots and lots more -- depends on what you want, what platform you're using, what cartography you want to use.
Thanks for that info. I'm using a Ssmsung Android tablet- I have an aversion to Apple products. No, I don't need anything super powerful nor complex and we just trundle around the Greek Ionian, so I'll check out this iSailor......
Old 22-07-2017, 08:53   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

It depends on where you are.

I have used NV Charts in the Caribbean and was 99% happy with this.

I have used Open CPN on Android for reference and was very pleased with both.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:58   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Depending on the region you are sailing at you will get now up-to-date vector charts for OCPN and Desktop OS or Android a well.

If you like raster chart more, the VMH or NV offer those for some OpenCPN architectures.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It depends on where you are.

I have used NV Charts in the Caribbean and was 99% happy with this.

I have used Open CPN on Android for reference and was very pleased with both.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks- I'll investigate this CPN aswell.
Old 22-07-2017, 10:44   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450
Any good alternatives to Navionics

Just to be clear, is it the app's features you are having issue with and/or the cartography itself?

Navionics is a commercial operator and one has to have a paid up subscription to use all their features . The charts themselves, with a GPS, will function when a subscription has expired.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:08   #12

Open CPN website doesn't seem to have a download for Android....?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmacdaddy View Post
I use iSailor.
I've had iSailor for about six years. I don't do anything fancy at all, so I it may not have all the bells and whistles some would like. But it does have the charts, location, distances, VMG, speed and other information such as needed for going from point A to point B.

When I got it, the app was free (don't know if this is still the case) and you purchase the charts - kind of like buying paper charts, but you do get updates for the charts.

Works for me.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 13:58   #14

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I use iSailor as well. App is free. Charts are easy to purchase and reasonably priced. I notice I still get updates for charts I purchased several years ago. Don't know if this means you get lifelong updates, or that the subscription lasts several years. Wasn't able to find that out.

Transas produces navigation systems and maps for commercial navigation as well.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 05:25   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I agree with Dockhead. The obvious choice to try is Opencpn, depending your location and devices.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics