Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 13:22   #1

Boat: Islander 30
Buying Islander 30 - rigging is old, but survey says good?

Hi all!

I need some advice - I'm looking at buying a 1982 Islander Bahama 30. This will be the first boat that I will own, although I've sailed on a number of others. The owner has stated that the standing rigging has not been replaced since at least 2006. It's possible it's the original rigging. Furthermore, there's at least some surface water damage near the chain plate in the cabin.

There was a survey completed about a year and a half ago that noted:
Quote:
Sighted evidence of water leaks (or former water leaks) at the chain deck plates. Some areas of the interior woodwork were water damaged
and
Quote:
From deck level sighting the rigging appeared to be in good condition
But under the 'Recommendations' section of the report, nothing is listed for replacing or checking the rigging or chain plate further.

Is this enough to trust it? Should I give the rigging a few more years? Should I replace it anyways? What would be I looking at spending for a haul out and replacement on an Islander 30? $4000?

I really want this boat, I just want to be smart about it too.
Zomgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:31   #2

Re: Buying Islander 30 - rigging is old, but survey says good?

Have you gone and looked at the rigging yourself? If it were me I would do a visual on it. Look the rigging up and down for signs of stress.

Hell, my 1983 had original rigging that was in good shape. Was a freshwater boat. It really all depends.

As with the chain plate, it's no big deal to re bed and would be advisable for all of them.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:42   #3

I did take a look. The turnbuckles seemed to be aligned well. I didn't see any fraying in the wires or cracking/fractures near the deck or in any of the hardware. I did not have a magnifying glass to look closer.

There was a small amount rust on the wires, but not I'm not sure if it was significant or not. I've seen rust on standing rigging that's only a year or two old. If there's a better way to inspect the rust, I don't know it.

This boat is marina'd on the ocean in Southern California.
Old 18-07-2017, 13:54   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Rigging can last a long time if it's not under stress. What stresses it? Sailing.

If the boat has been taken out for a few hours sail every (or every other, or every third, or almost never) weekend during the season, that's really not much use - as long you're not finding any meat hooks, it's probably ok.

The chainplates I would go over very closely. There are some test kits that will reveal cracks and whatnot - I'd think about finding one and using it.

Unless you're fitting out the boat to start your round-the-world blue water cruise, in which case you probably will want to replace (and maybe upgrade) it anyway, it will most likely be just fine.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 14:34   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Not sure in your area but our purchase survey was 600 or 700 bucks for a SAMs surveyor and 400 for the haulout and pressure wash. I'd get your own purchase survey done, cause if the seller is providing you with an insurance survey don't bother reading it as they are totally useless to anyone other than the owner trying to get insurance. The survey and haul will at the very least allow you to take the 1000 or so dollars you spend on the survey off the purchase price if not lots more, and you'll need one anyways if you plan on getting insurance.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 14:46   #6

A common rule of thumb is 10 years for standing rigging. However, if the boat's not being used... haard to say. But you say it could be original! With rust showing (especially at teh swage fittings I would replace. You dont necessarily need to haul the boat to replace rigging. Do it a couple wires at a time.
Many Many people sail locally with rigging that is very old or unknown. Offshore? not such a good idea.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 14:57   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you are planning on insuring the boat, they will likely require a current survey at t he least, and some companies just categorically require rigging renewal at 10 years age. Some will be ok with a professional rigger's inspection of the rig in lieu of replacement.

And FWIW, an 18 month old survey isn't much good, for things can change materially in that time. Especially considering your lack of experience, I'd sure recommend a new survey.

Jim
Old 18-07-2017, 16:19   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

82' rigging and the mast still standing? Well this boat has not sailed too much then.

I would give it 'a few more years' for sure. Of standing at the dock. Why not.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:21   #9

Mine was a trailer sailor that only went out once a month in fresh
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:51   #10

Thanks everyone!

I know this boat has been sailed fairly regularly for at least the last decade of its life. (Bi-)weekly day sails, trips out to the Channel Islands, and at least a handful of times to Mexico.

I just received a quote to replace all the standing rigging for $3,136. That's less than I expected. I think it makes a lot of sense to replace the rigging while I can and not worry about it when I'm on the back side of Santa Cruz Island. I'm seeing if the current owner will lower the price a bit and split the cost of the maintenance. I hopefully can also get the cost down further by doing some of the labor myself - removing sails + boom ahead of haul out.
Old 18-07-2017, 17:03   #11

You can do it a lot cheaper yourself... If you are up for it. Wire for that boat is probably what... $2.40 a foot? Been a while. Probably $1000 or less in parts total with new turnbuckles? Is that price for them to come and take it off and redo it and put it back?
Is that a Mkll Islander then? Be careful what you pay for the boat. It should be pretty cheap, if it has a recent new diesel will up the price some, but I'm guessing not more than 10K total with that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:11   #12

I asked them to quote out everything - from haul out to launch.

Estimate parts are $650.

Quote:
Remove sails, boom & prep for un-step. Decommission mast & remove standing rigging. Provide specs & order rigging. Reinstall standing rigging & prep for step. Install boom & sails. $1,530.00

Unstep and Step Mast $366.00
Old 18-07-2017, 17:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Is that a Mkll Islander then? Be careful what you pay for the boat. It should be pretty cheap, if it has a recent new diesel will up the price some, but I'm guessing not more than 10K total with that.
It's the Bahama. It has a Yanmar 2GM20F that replaced the original Volvo about a decade ago. Asking is $12k, so you're right on target.
Old 19-07-2017, 07:05   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Mind in any older boat not just the wires are changed but also some of the elements. At times this implies the in mast backing plates or bolts and plates. Sometimes chainplates need renewal.

Rigging is a system and you do not want to fix one element to find something just next to it snapped.

Look at it in the complex way - check and (if so deemed) renew all the areas where the wires attach.

Where boats go in trouble is often either the rigging or else the steering.

Ballasts popping off are in fashion these days but hopefully your design is of the old school where ballast were designed and built to NOT part with the boat.

Have a glorious sailing summer!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 08:44   #15

Boat: Union cutter 33

we have a 1991 which is a freshwater boat standing rigging and all hardware replaced last yr..old rigging was inspected and woulda lasted another 10 yrs...so age has no relivance boat always had mast unstepped for winter ...so after 26 yrs it was all still good..
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, rigging, survey