Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 19:04   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
What if someone has tied to your private mooring

I have applied for a private mooring and wondered what I would do if I found another boat on it with no one on board. Or someone anchored next to it.

We have to mark the bouy "private" and the name of the boat registered to it on the bouy.

Or is there a cleaver way to lock them off.
Old 18-12-2016, 20:15   #2

Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Best to check with the local harbormaster for the procedure to follow to get the trespasser off.

Years ago on my very first day of use of my mooring we came in as it was getting late in the day and after circling around could not find it. So not wanting to keep circling in the soon complete darkness we grabbed the first available one. Turned out we were not too far off our mark and the guy whose mooring we grabbed didn't launch until we left anyway. Fast forward years later and the boat using that same mooring we grabbed back then (different owners now) somehow ended up on our mooring for about a week. I have no idea why as I did not see them until one day about a week later they left my mooring. Meanwhile I ended up using theirs. And the mooring numbers were not even close to make a mistake as to which is which. Go figure.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 20:16   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I.

We have to mark the bouy "private" and the name of the boat registered to it on the bouy.
What you wrote ....is what I would mark on your pick up bouy for getting the heavier line
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 20:33   #4

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:

Or is there a cleaver way to lock them off.
I think the cleaver idea is good
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 20:47   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I think I'd call the harbormaster and get his take on it. Until the situation is resolved I'd consider my other options to tie up my own boat.

One possibility if the weather is settled and the harbor is well protected, would be to place fenders and pull up alongside, attach the mooring pennants to my boat, then tie the other boat off to mine.

I'd also consider taking another mooring (would speak with harbormaster) or just anchor out.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 21:01   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

It would be tempting to cut him loose.
Really tempting..
I had a guy on my dock that was not supposed to be there.
If I cut his lines, I would be responsible for damages to other boats in the area hit by the bad boat.
If the onwner is an arseh@ole looking to take advantage of you, call the bad guys and have them tow his boat away. Not your problem, his boat got stolen.
Then stripped and chopped.
Would I do that?
Yes.
Old 18-12-2016, 21:57   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think the Op was only asking for preventative ideas.

I like the sys term in northern Europe when the slip owner puts up a green flag (meaning he is gone until the date shown) or Red Flag saying he is coming back that day.
this allows visitors a place to tie up before confirming with Harbour Master, if the can stay
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:02   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think the Op was only asking for preventative ideas.

I like the sys term in northern Europe when the slip owner puts up a green flag (meaning he is gone until the date shown) or Red Flag saying he is coming back that day.
this allows visitors a place to tie up before confirming with Harbour Master, if the can stay
I would say that is a great idea, however down here the various maritime authorities would definitely get their tits in a twist at the very suggestion of doing this, after all they have the bureaucracy to manage.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:10   #9

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Contact Maritime Safety Queensland (or Gold Coast Waterways Authority if it is on the Gold Coast), they will be able to find the person based on the registration and contact them and tell them to move.

Like NSW it is illegal to use someone else's mooring, even with the "owner's" approval. Quote from MSQ web site "Only the approved ship that is registered/owned by the authority holder is permitted to moor at the approved buoy mooring."
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Contact Maritime Safety Queensland (or Gold Coast Waterways Authority if it is on the Gold Coast), they will be able to find the person based on the registration and contact them and tell them to move.

Like NSW it is illegal to use someone else's mooring, even with the "owner's" approval. Quote from MSQ web site "Only the approved ship that is registered/owned by the authority holder is permitted to moor at the approved buoy mooring."
Not quite right. Queensland, officially only the registered occupier may use the mooring. But, in the real world, after talking to the right person responsible for your area, friends can use your mooring.

NSW same deal, except a visitor may use any vacant mooring for a period of up to 24 Hrs as long as competent person is on board to vacate the mooring should the owner return.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

If it is a buoy take fenders and use your mooring too. Treat him as your guest maybe he had a good reason to take your buoy.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:31   #12

Find yourself a ratty old dingy that wouldn't be worth stealing and secure it on the mooring when you leave, that way other would know it an occupied mooring.
James McM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:45   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I kept my boat at the most expensive marina in town. When I sold my boat, mid season, the new owner sailed it away. Well, another boater had been eyeballing my dock, and helped himself to it after my boat was gone, despite my having paid for the entire season. I spoke with the marina staff, who confirmed they had not given anyone permission to use my slip, especially as it was against marina policy and the obvious insurance issues, and of course the fact that he was not paying for that (or any) slip. But I had sold my boat, so I left it with the staff to deal with, and I just walked away.

I don't think you can protect a vacant slip or mooring. And any vessel having an emergency should be free to take whatever slip or mooring necessary.

I once had a medical emergency aboard my boat on a busy summer weekend. I proceeded with full sail and full rpm to the nearest marina (POH for you locals) and went directly to the service dock...there happened to be a first aid trailer there (it was during CORK). Well, a large power boat had been waiting for that service dock, and began to let me know it over his blowhorn (loudspeaker). I replied to him, calmly, that I would move the boat after the ambulance departs. His offence turned to humility, but the distraction from the more important task at hand (attending to my injured crew) was already done. FWIW, the trip was ruined, as we all spent the rest of the weekend at the hospital. However, the crew member recovered fully, to the best of my knowledge, as he never returned to my boat again.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:07   #14

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Technically, it's a trespass. For every action, there is consequence.
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:33   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I have applied for a private mooring and wondered what I would do if I found another boat on it with no one on board. Or someone anchored next to it.
I’m curious about this last question. Assuming the boat is properly anchored and not swinging inappropriately, why would this even concern you?

I can imagine how annoying it would be to come back to find your personal mooring occupied, but I don’t think I’d go ballistic over it. I’d be pissed off, but at this point you have no idea regarding the circumstances of this other boat. Could be an emergency. Could be someone who made an honest mistake. Perhaps they were given wrong information … there’s lots of possibilities, none of which would justify you simply cutting them loose (as others have suggested).

First off, I’d get my own boat secured. If appropriate I might raft to the one tied to my mooring (assuming all the variables seem reasonable). Then I would try and get some info on the boat. If the issue persists for a while I would consider moving the boat to another secure location if available (without causing equal problems for someone else).

I like James McM’s idea of leaving a dingy on the mooring, or a big sign saying I’ll be back by evening.

Tags
mooring