Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 21:11   #1

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'
Updates on cruising Indonesia

Mixed news for those visiting wonderful Indonesia.
The good:
Import Bond and CAIT (cruising permit) abolished
More marinas coming on line with Government finance
More clear in/out ports

The difficult (for some):
Sponsor still required
AIS mandatory (this is in line with Singapore and Thailand anyway)
Crew change not permitted in country

The GREAT:
Apart from Aussies, 75 countries given visa free entry for 30 days
Can renew visas for up to 6 months which gives us a lot more cruising time
YEAH!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 23:13   #2

Boat: Amel Euros 41
Re: Updates on cruising Indonesia

Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to find more information on this.

Having the CAIT and Import Bond abolished is great, but staying in Indonesia did not become easier just cheaper.

Immo the rule that the visa can only be extended by 1 month (which is really the same as before) means that each month you have to spend a week (sometimes up to 10 days because of public Holiday) at a place where there is immigration (and hopefully agent who can help with the process). This limits the time we can cruise remote areas.

As far as I know the new visa which is free for 30 days can not be extended. Only the social visa (and I think there is a very similar tourist visa) which can be extended up to 6 months. Is there a new visa type coming out?

And do you have information how these changes affects those already in the country?

And when is this effective from?
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 23:51   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
Mixed news for those visiting wonderful Indonesia.
The good:
Import Bond and CAIT (cruising permit) abolished
More marinas coming on line with Government finance
More clear in/out ports

The difficult (for some):
Sponsor still required
AIS mandatory (this is in line with Singapore and Thailand anyway)
Crew change not permitted in country

The GREAT:
Apart from Aussies, 75 countries given visa free entry for 30 days
Can renew visas for up to 6 months which gives us a lot more cruising time
YEAH!!!
Thanks very much for the update.

Generally good news, though I agree with rotorman on the extensions nonsense. Unless they have sorted out local corruption, laziness and other BS, we're still going to rot at Saumlaki, Maumere and others, while the men in fancy uniforms wait for their hurrying up fees. Still definitely a stride or twain in the right direction.

As for the AIS thing. Oh brother. Not only is it a joke (though now being enforced) in Thailand, as only foreign visiting vessels are required to transmit, and few if any local boats have any transmission or reception, but Indonesia? Seriously? It's remarkable if vessels even have lights through the Banda, Celebes, Flores, and Java seas (and nothing short of epic if they are actually colregs lights)… AIS? Man that's a laugh.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorman View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to find more information on this.

Having the CAIT and Import Bond abolished is great, but staying in Indonesia did not become easier just cheaper.

Immo the rule that the visa can only be extended by 1 month (which is really the same as before) means that each month you have to spend a week (sometimes up to 10 days because of public Holiday) at a place where there is immigration (and hopefully agent who can help with the process). This limits the time we can cruise remote areas.

As far as I know the new visa which is free for 30 days can not be extended. Only the social visa (and I think there is a very similar tourist visa) which can be extended up to 6 months. Is there a new visa type coming out?

And do you have information how these changes affects those already in the country?

And when is this effective from?
Hi Rotorman
Starting from the last question; it is apparently in effect as from the date of the Presidential Decree 105/2015 (google this for lots of information) as at 30 September. Advised by local authorities will be in place in all Eastern Indonesia by end of this month. (some things take time)
According to the Consul at a recent meeting here in Darwin, the free visas are for those arriving by air and cruise ship. No other visas other than social (60 days)coming up. We have frequently renewed our visas at Medana Bay Marina in Lombok; took 2 days each. For those already in country, they are still covered; yachts leaving this week from Darwin to Kupang are still under their CAIT. The transition, as we know, may take a little time.
cheers
Old 10-11-2015, 14:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Thanks very much for the update.

Generally good news, though I agree with rotorman on the extensions nonsense. Unless they have sorted out local corruption, laziness and other BS, we're still going to rot at Saumlaki, Maumere and others, while the men in fancy uniforms wait for their hurrying up fees. Still definitely a stride or twain in the right direction.

As for the AIS thing. Oh brother. Not only is it a joke (though now being enforced) in Thailand, as only foreign visiting vessels are required to transmit, and few if any local boats have any transmission or reception, but Indonesia? Seriously? It's remarkable if vessels even have lights through the Banda, Celebes, Flores, and Java seas (and nothing short of epic if they are actually colregs lights)… AIS? Man that's a laugh.
Hi Muckle Flugga, I agree there will always be a lot of dissension over AIS. We have one so of course don't consider it a problem. But I agree, it is a step in the right direction. I speak often with the Indonesian Consul here in Darwin who supports the Indonesian direction of more yachts (looking to treble the number) because of our benefit to the more remote communities. With extra clear in/out ports coming on line and more marinas for those who hesitate to cruise Indonesia, will be a win/win situation. One step at a time. Cheers
Old 10-11-2015, 15:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They must make some ais components in their sweatshops over there and are trying to support their industry. I guess time will tell, but I currently have ZERO interest in cruising somewhere where I will be tracked 100% of the time.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:55   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I see all this as a positive. Longer visas would be better. Ais, can't see the problem with countries making ais compulsory,, what's the downside? I've spent approx 8 months over 2 trips sailing indonesia, im sure there is coruption in regards to immigration etc but my experience has always been quite positive, dress well and a smile gets you along way. I can see indonesia opening up as a cruising destination, all in all steps in the right direction for us. Bummer I've just payed for a new CAIT and waiting on it to come through.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 18:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So do you have to transmit 24/7 including at anchor or just underway. I think the idea of being tracked is contrary to the freedom most of us seek from cruising.
Old 10-11-2015, 19:05   #9

Being tracked? Ummmm and if we we're "who cares". It's really a nothing.

Old 10-11-2015, 19:27   #10

I doubt whether Indonesia has a tracking capability through most of its islands. Also very few vessels in that area would have even passive AIS. In the East and North I have seen wooden boats (everywhere in Indo) lit only by little fires on the foredeck! Many are unlit altogether.

However there is a small security consideration: AIS does represent a good opportunity for anyone resourceful who wishes to rob leisure or commercial vessels. Certainly the pirates near the Singapore Straits will use it. Not much piracy in the South and Central zones to worry about… but I could see this being exploited. I just find it both funny and ridiculous. A kind of "ME TOO ME TOO, I'M BIG ENOUGH TO PLAY!" on the part of Indonesia who like Thailand and others in the region are following Singapore in requiring this function. Really I just don't see the point of it. Who in Indo receives or processes that data? Pretty much no one. So why bother? Its a joke.

Singapore? Of course. I understand. Thailand? Not really. Indonesia? Don't make me laugh.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 10-11-2015, 22:52   #11

According to the Decree, AIS is to be turned on when entering Indonesian waters.
AIS is another aid to navigation and a primary safety system. The fishing boats are not the concern; rather the merchant shipping. AIS equipped ships constantly transmit information including name, MMSI number, position, speed, course, rate of turn, cargo carried etc etc which means we see each other in plenty of time.
The Singapore Straits shows over 400 ships on our AIS in any hourly period, but happy to know Singapore Strait Control know we are there and can assist if, in the very unlikely event, we are targeted by 'pirates'. They have called us previously on VHF to ask us to change direction and have answered our call relaying a pan pan for a ferry on fire.
It is always a personal choice whether to comply or not with other countries' laws when cruising their waters...
Old 10-11-2015, 23:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
According to the Decree, AIS is to be turned on when entering Indonesian waters.
AIS is another aid to navigation and a primary safety system. The fishing boats are not the concern; rather the merchant shipping. AIS equipped ships constantly transmit information including name, MMSI number, position, speed, course, rate of turn, cargo carried etc etc which means we see each other in plenty of time.
The Singapore Straits shows over 400 ships on our AIS in any hourly period, but happy to know Singapore Strait Control know we are there and can assist if, in the very unlikely event, we are targeted by 'pirates'. They have called us previously on VHF to ask us to change direction and have answered our call relaying a pan pan for a ferry on fire.
It is always a personal choice whether to comply or not with other countries' laws when cruising their waters...
Well thanks… though I was actually aware what AIS does, oddly enough. Did I give some sort of impression not? And really, how do you figure that "the fishing boats are not the the concern; rather the merchant shipping" in general Indonesian waters. I fail to see what relevance the obvious usefulness (400 an hour? One of my two sets usually shows close to that at once!) of AIS in the Singapore Straits has to the wider Indonesian waters. And in your opinion is it somehow reasonable that in this wider area small leisure craft are more needful of AIS transmission than the gazillions of often large fishing craft, not to mention the thousands of large tug and barges which never have it and are unlikely to be required to?
Old 10-11-2015, 23:16   #13

Tientos, thanks for the updates. Muckle Flugga you seem to dislike Indonesia, maybe it's just not the cruising ground for you, with all the bribes you have to pay and unlit fishing boats etc? I must of missed all that while I was enjoying all the cool islands and people.
Cheers Dale.

Old 10-11-2015, 23:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Tientos, thanks for the updates. Muckle Flugga you seem to dislike Indonesia, maybe it's just not the cruising ground for you, with all the bribes you have to pay and unlit fishing boats etc? I must of missed all that while I was enjoying all the cool islands and people.
Cheers Dale.

I certainly don't "dislike Indonesia"… Some great areas, some great people. Some of the world's best diving and remarkable cultural heritage in many areas. ... Also some immense piles of garbage, choking smoke from slash and burn, and dreadful bureaucracy, and if you missed the unlit boats perhaps it is because you weren't looking? I have no idea how else…

As to your suggestion, are you further implying that one must "like" a country and its practices wholesale, wide eyed and uncritically or not at all? Quite a strident and binary approach wouldn't you say?

The point is requiring AIS to be transmitted by sailing vessels in all areas of Indo is a complete nonsense. Or do you agree that this should be a requirement? If so, what's your rationale? I am fascinated to hear.
Old 11-11-2015, 00:27   #15

Boat: Privilege 482

So does this alleviate the need to go to Darwin or other location that has an Indonesian consulate to obtain a cruising permit? Can one now just show up?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cruising, Indonesia